I refuse to do lunges...

Options
Hey I'm sure there are plenty others that hates lunges out there. I know they say it's one of the best leg and butt exsercise but I'd rather do a hundred squates. Anyones else not doing lunges? What do you do to workout your legs and butt? I like to do squates and steps.

Replies

• mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm sure there are plenty others that hates lunges out there. I know they say it's one of the best leg and butt exsercise but I'd rather do a hundred squates. Anyones else not doing lunges? What do you do to workout your legs and butt? I like to do squates and steps.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Stair climbing exercises are good. I take my son to the park, and do reps of stepping up on the park bench while he plays.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I HATE LUNGES. By far my least favorite exercises out there.:explode: :grumble:

Unfortunately they are fabulous for you lower body. :angry:
  • mammakisses
    Options
    Stair climbing exercises are good. I take my son to the park, and do reps of stepping up on the park bench while he plays.

The park bench idea sounds good. I have a step at home but it's not as high as a bench.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hate them but do them. I used to do stair (double steps) instead. Now I just put up with them.
  • evolve33
    evolve33 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i hate them too because i don't think i do them right :huh: but i do squats and i like them way better.
    plus doing them kind of makes me feel like a ballerina:tongue:
  • mammakisses
    Options
    i hate them too because i don't think i do them right :huh: but i do squats and i like them way better.
    plus doing them kind of makes me feel like a ballerina:tongue:

haha whatever works right.
  • ericac
    ericac Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Hey~
    If you go to a gym you can do leg curls. .....I'm not a big fan of regular lunges....but I got P90X and the leg and back dvd on there is really good for legs. It does a LOT of different styles of lunges and that makes them a LOT more tolerable!! Hmmmm maybe google different styles and see if you can find something that'll work for ya.....Hope that helps:flowerforyou: .....Erica
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    this move is from a 1995 Denise Austin video....but every time i have started/stopped exercising, this is the one move that helps define my thighs...

lay on your back and support your back with arms, (elbows will be on the floor, and hands under hips at waist area), then one at a time, push your foot/leg like you are riding a bike, the other leg/knee will be brought back toward your upper body. it is a push move..... I LOVE THIS, and results are quick! GOOD LUCK!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you want something better then lunges? Do weighted jump squats. You'll like lunges again after doing 3 sets of 12 of those with 15 lb dumbells in each hand (or 20 or 25 like I do, depends on what is heavy to you).
  • ttoombs
    ttoombs Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I can't do lunges or squats since I have a rod in my leg, but I do go up and down 3 flights of stairs at work every hour to try to strengthen my legs so I can do a least squats. I can't bend my knee back like I used to it bends to the side, so lunges hurt.:ohwell:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I love working my lower body-- Now I hate hate upper body days. and guess what today is Back and Bicep Day --Errrrrrr!
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I hate lunges...HATE them but...

I had knee problems...nothing an x-ray could find, but enough to cause chronic pain. I kept this from my trainer because I did not want her to treat me differently. She asked me to do squats, and I swear to God, I was screaming with fear inside...but I did them. My knee pain left me after two sessions - her short explanation was that the exercise lubricated my joints or something like that. I am just happy to be pain free. Additionally, I will be wearing a two piece this summer because of these lunges.

Oh....

I still hate them with a passion and my rear hurts all the time. lol.

There are other rear exercises you can do...if you really hate them - I say: REFUSE!!!! :angry: I just wanted to offer the other side of the story. I read somewhere that as long as you land heel first on the treadmill, it is still the best rear exercise (for what its worth)....

It probably didn't help at all did it?
  • ontheedge50
    ontheedge50 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can do Bridges with your heels on a balance ball. Squeeze and lift...Squeeze and lift...
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    you want something better then lunges? Do weighted jump squats. You'll like lunges again after doing 3 sets of 12 of those with 15 lb dumbells in each hand (or 20 or 25 like I do, depends on what is heavy to you).

My trainer had me do this and man I was ready to quit after one set, LOL but he got me to do the other two and I would rather to lunges anytime than that again. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Hey~
    If you go to a gym you can do leg curls. .....I'm not a big fan of regular lunges....but I got P90X and the leg and back dvd on there is really good for legs. It does a LOT of different styles of lunges and that makes them a LOT more tolerable!! Hmmmm maybe google different styles and see if you can find something that'll work for ya.....Hope that helps:flowerforyou: .....Erica

Ditto-love em now cause I can do them and walk the next day!:wink:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I hate them but I do them three times a week at BodyPump. All the instructors say they are the best thing for butt and legs!!
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    squats whit heavy weight will widen your hips. I do my lunges as a warm up then eather squats or leg press, then front squats then hack squats, and finsh it all off with leg extentions and hamstring curls.
    and for cardo on leg day I run the steps.
    you must learn to love the lunge.
    one thing I love is the BOSU squats
  • mammakisses
    Options
    squats whit heavy weight will widen your hips. I do my lunges as a warm up then eather squats or leg press, then front squats then hack squats, and finsh it all off with leg extentions and hamstring curls.
    and for cardo on leg day I run the steps.
    you must learn to love the lunge.
    one thing I love is the BOSU squats

Well I really don't want wider hips. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I might try to wrok on my stability so that I can eventully do the squates more comfortably. I just had a baby so my core sucks. Thanks for the advice.
  • mammakisses
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will try them all.