curves smart

Options
ive been doing curves smart for the last 3 months, 3 x a week and all thats happening is im gaing in size on measurements of my waist,hips,tummy and in weight, why is this happening, has thishappened to anyone else:sad:

Replies

• annemarie198031
    Options
    i do curves, dont do the smart though, my weightloss and inch loss has almost stopped and i have gained on my hips and thighs so will be interested to read the reply to this post as it was something that i was going to ask as well x
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    In another topic I read that when working out, muscles can start retaining water and are therefore 'bigger'. Perhaps this is the culprit?
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a curves

what a lot of the trainers there dont tell you is
    you really need to focus on the muscles being worked and make sure you can feel them working - also make sure you are using the full extent of the machines

ask one of the trainers to watch you round the circuit and help you use each machine to get the very most out of it

(ask your trainers what muscles are worked by each machine (unless they are listed next to the machine) if they dont know get a different trainer

most women out perform curves in three to 6 months
  • memashipp
    memashipp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is unusual....with your workouts yu are building muscle. But I think if you hang in there with both the dieting & the curves program you will start seeing the lbs begin to drop. You are still toning your body & as the muscle is building the fat is melting. Give it time & you will see the results you want.
  • Ninotchka
    Options
    Hi,

I actually just got home from Curves. I've been using it as a component of my weightloss, but it is not the only thing I do for exercise. Between MFP, Curves, Wii Fit and normal walking, shoveling etc. type of cardio, I have lost pounds and inches. I would suggest adding variety to your exercising.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    hello im glad that someone posted about this.

7 years ago i was at 185 and i decided to join curves. i went faithfully at least 4 days a week, and afterward would rollerblade for about an hour. I also followed the original curves diet, which was pretty much a low carb metabolism build up or something like that. you were supposed to eat 20 carbs or less a day for two weeks, then 40 for a week, etc. I did this for about a year and got down to 135 pounds. (although i didnt really do the diet correctly, because i only consumed 20 carbs or less for the entire year.i did not count any other numbers besides carbs.)
    well 7 years went by and of course once i got to my goal weight i stopped going so the pounds crept back on.
    I rejoined curves about a year ago and they have now implimented the smart program and i really did not like it. i feel like i spent all of my energy focusing on the lights and not really giving it my all. So i stopped going after a month
    That being said........ I really think that curves is a strength training facility. it is based on strengthening your muscle, and is marketed to middle aged women who are losing muscle mass because of age. i do not think that it is a very good weight loss workout. you have to be doing some other cardio besides the curves circuit, because its not really burning alot of fat. only 30 minutes of increased heart rate will not make the pounds melt off quickly. I think that if i were not doing the one hour of rollerblading then it would have taken me longer than a year to lose that weight.

This time around i started at 200 pounds, 5'4" and have been trying to do at LEAST an hour of cardio everyday, even if its simple walking. I also do jillian michaels strength training videos for muscle tone.
    I have lost 38 pounds since the end of october with this method.
    Curves really is good to build up your muscle strength, but its not a very good fat loss because you need more cardio.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Wow. :( I'm sorry. I do curves, and I have a lot of success with it (lost 45 pounds and over 50 inches there, but I also added in other cardio). do you have the book "Curves Fitness & Weight Management Plan" at yours? It's a good book. It has three phases, and two plans. You choose a higher protein or a higher carb plan, and then do the three phases from whichever one you choose.

A thing about Curves is that you absolutely HAVE to push yourself at every single machine or you won't see a difference. If you aren't creating resistance in the machine, you aren't really doing anything. I wear my HRM and I burn about 225 calories in 30 minutes circuit plus cool down stretches. The stretches are an important part of the workout, too. The book recommends you add in a minimum of 30 minutes a day of walking, on "most" days of the week (I read this as taking a max of one day rest).

If you follow a good lifestyle plan, do your three curves workouts and PUSH yourself to the max in them, and get in an additional 30 minutes of cardio/walking a day... I promise you that you'll see a difference. The first time I did curves, I lost a ton of weight and inches and got in the best shape I've been in, in my whole life. I am a huge Curves proponent!!! You can do it. :)
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options

100% i agree
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

100% i agree

I completely disagree. The machines are based on resistance. If you go faster, you build more resistance, and you work harder. You can't outperform the machines. It isn't possible. If you aren't getting anything from them, it's because you aren't hitting the machine hard and fast enough.
  • clairerbear
    Options
    Wow, what a response, thanks for all the advise, I am on a 30 day commitment card now, so get a weigh in every thursday.
    I think the main thing i'm worried about is the gain in size of my legs, they seem to be getting too muscley(hope i spelt that right).

Ive found doing my daily food diary has been a great help, one thing I didnt realise is that you are supposed to eat the calories that you have lost, I would have thought that would be contradicting the whole point of exercise, by the way this is actually the first time I have paid any real notice to what I actually eat, and apart from doing alot of walking, Curves is the first Gym I have ever used, so i am really a novice to all of this.

I hit the big 50 in two years time, stopped smoking on New Years day and want to be fit and healthy for some time to come (hopefully)

Thanks again for all the advise, will keep you posted on how I do
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I found this. Curves helped me lose 20kg both times I had joined. I regained some of the weight back, became a bit unfit again and Curves became a challenge again.

I found myself becoming terribly bored with the gym because even pushing myself to my fastest time on every machine I felt it wasn't enough. I felt that 30 seconds was not near enough on each machine and at the end I wanted to go on for 60 seconds which wasn't allowed. People say "Just go around the circuit again", but by then I've lost my momentum on that machine. It's hard to explain.

I am planning to join up again but I am hesitant because I know my limits. Six months was my limit. Not to mention the hideous Curves remix music. It made me murderous, I had to take my ipod haha (which they did not seem to like either).
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    ive been doing curves smart for the last 3 months, 3 x a week and all thats happening is im gaing in size on measurements of my waist,hips,tummy and in weight, why is this happening, has thishappened to anyone else:sad:

Hey there I used to gym at curves and was on Smart too! I bulked up there asnd gained weight! I left that gym and joined a normal gym! The difference is amazing!!!