Running with joint aches/pains

Options
I have always loved running but I have periods of time where all my joints are sore (suspected RA). My doctor is happy for me to run but I find that after a few days of running my joints get a bit worse so I stop. I can run for 15 - 20 mins without walking but I was wondering about trying the C25k programme from the beginning. I know it won't be pushing me at all at the beginning if I can already run 15- 20 mins but I was thinking that it might be gentler on my joints whilst still improving my "running muscles". Perhaps by starting really slowly like this my joints won't get so sore. In the long run exercise really helps my joints.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? Does this sound like a good plan? Should I wait until I have lost more weight first (cuz that just ain't happening at the moment!) My doctor is happy for me to run and I know it will help with my weight loss, which will help my joints, and with my state of mind (I love running).

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying it, but pay close attention to your body. When it hurts, stop. You don't want to damage the joints, especially if you turn out to have RA. :)
  • robwilliams1111
    robwilliams1111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know its hard when you are motivated to have rest days in between your "run" days so instead of resting try using a treadmill and look for a hill climb programme, you can burn off almost as many calories doing a fast walk on a random changing hill climb, it's better for fat burning as your heart rate won't be as high as it would be on a run and it'll be kinder on your joints. Alternatively you could use a cross trainer/eliptic trainer, which has the same calorific value but without the strain on your joints. Another thing you could look at is what running shoes your using. Make sure they have sufficient shock absorbers and support. Hope this helps :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a glucosamine supplement? They have some specifically designed for runners. I would google it or talk to someone at your local supplement shoppe.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I had my hip scoped a few years ago. Found some arthritis in there too. I have taken the past few years off from running. And guess what I've gained weight. Well I'm starting back SUPER slow. I've been doing elliptical for a few months. I've started doing C25K - I'm on week 2. My rules for myself: (1) never do back to back days (2) always stop if there is pain - just repeat that day (3) wear minimalist "barefoot" shoes and run with mid-foot strike rather than heel strike (theory is that my muscles take more of the impact rather than my joints. (4) I also take Alieve if I feel ANY twinges at all and just started taking Glucosamine.

So far so good. Doubt I'll be back running half marathons but I'd be happy just being able to run.
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    I also have suspected RA..arrgh! I power walk/light jog on the treadmill. It helps. I have a friend with RA and his doc told him that running was the worse because of the pounding on the joints.
    I agree that we have to pay very close attention to our own bodies and heed the warnings.
    Stay active, no matter what. Sedentary bodies ache!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Running is the hardest of everything for me today and I've actually quit doing it because it sidelined me from an injury in December. But I have had both knees replaced and I have OA. My doctor wants me to do my exercising in the pool so I do acquatics at the YMCA.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I know its hard when you are motivated to have rest days in between your "run" days so instead of resting try using a treadmill and look for a hill climb programme, you can burn off almost as many calories doing a fast walk on a random changing hill climb, it's better for fat burning as your heart rate won't be as high as it would be on a run and it'll be kinder on your joints. Alternatively you could use a cross trainer/eliptic trainer, which has the same calorific value but without the strain on your joints. Another thing you could look at is what running shoes your using. Make sure they have sufficient shock absorbers and support. Hope this helps :)
    Thanks. This is a great suggestion but I have no access to a treadmill at the moment. There are some quite steep hills nearby that I could use at a brisk walk though. My shoes are pretty good. I get the same each time as they were fitted by a running shop, of course I have gained a lot of weight since then so perhaps they are no longer the best ones for me. Unfortunately I can't afford new ones at the moment but perhaps that should be my next purchase :smile:
  • CarolynB38
    Options
    I am right there with you. I had my hip scoped a few years ago. Found some arthritis in there too. I have taken the past few years off from running. And guess what I've gained weight. Well I'm starting back SUPER slow. I've been doing elliptical for a few months. I've started doing C25K - I'm on week 2. My rules for myself: (1) never do back to back days (2) always stop if there is pain - just repeat that day (3) wear minimalist "barefoot" shoes and run with mid-foot strike rather than heel strike (theory is that my muscles take more of the impact rather than my joints. (4) I also take Alieve if I feel ANY twinges at all and just started taking Glucosamine.

So far so good. Doubt I'll be back running half marathons but I'd be happy just being able to run.

Thanks for all that. Sound very sensible. I just have to be prepared to do this more slowly than I want to :happy:
  • CarolynB38
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will wait until my joints are having a good day then start very, very slowly! As soon as I have the money I will get a gait analysis and new shoes and I'll try the glucosamine. Some great ideas from all of you. Thanks :happy: