cooking with Coconut oil?

Options
2»

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have both the refined and unrefined. For things that I don't want a coconut flavor imparted to I use the refined stuff. Other things are fantastic with the coconut flavored unrefined (think Chicken Curry! Nom, nom nom) You can get both of them organic. That is one thing I make sure I do because they don't use any solvents to get the oil when it's organic.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Coconut oil tastes good. For health purposes, it is best to avoid tropical oils like coconut and palm...don't buy into the hype. Coconut in general is not healthy for you. Tropical oils are high in saturated (unhealthy) fat that promotes storage of cholesterol and plaque in your arteries.

Flaxseed, Grapeseed, canola, olive and safflower oil are examples of healthy fats...this is coming from a dietitian.
  • MSepp
    Options
    Hey everyone.....kind of a silly question here!

I've been reading about the health benefits of cooking with coconut oil. When I was at the bulk store, I seen it was kind of expensive for a jar of it. Before I go and buy it.....just wondering how does the food taste with it?? I don't use much oil, just a little to sautee veggies for fajitas or stirfrys. Just wondering if it puts a sweet or strong taste into the food? Or is it similar to Olive Oil?

Thanks! :smile:

From the American Dietetic Association:

http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=1590&terms=coconut+oil
  • weaverfit
    weaverfit Posts: 124
    Options
    The coconut oil I got does have a coconut flavor and AROMA. I think that adding strongly scented foods to your diet may actual be helpful in satiety/satisfaction so unless the smell is offensive or inappropriate for a dish, I say use whatever is available to you locally. I'm still on the same jar I started with - it does last quite a long time as I only use it on occasion. It is not my standard "go to" oil of choice.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    In support of coconut oil, by Dr. Mercola.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html

From the link:

It may be surprising for you to learn that the naturally occurring saturated fat in coconut oil is actually good for you and provides a number of profound health benefits, such as:

• Improving your heart health.(3)
    • Boosting your thyroid. (4)
    • Increasing your metabolism.
    • Promoting a lean body and weight loss if needed.
    • Supporting your immune system. (5)

How Coconut Oil Works Wonders in Your Body

Nearly 50 percent of the fat in coconut oil is of a type rarely found in nature called lauric acid, a "miracle" compound because of its unique health promoting properties. Your body converts lauric acid into monolaurin, which has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-protozoa properties. (6)

Coconut oil is also nature's richest source of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), also called medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs. By contrast, most common vegetable or seed oils are comprised of long chain fatty acids (LCFAs), also known as long-chain triglycerides or LCTs.

LCTs are large molecules, so they are difficult for your body to break down and are predominantly stored as fat.

But MCTs (7) , being smaller, are easily digested and immediately burned by your liver for energy -- like carbohydrates, but without the insulin spike. MCTs actually boost your metabolism and help your body use fat for energy, as opposed to storing it, so it can actually help you become leaner.

Back in the 1940s, farmers discovered this effect accidentally when they tried using inexpensive coconut oil to fatten their livestock.

It didn't work!

Instead, coconut oil made the animals lean, active and hungry.

Coconut oil has actually been shown to help optimize body weight, which can dramatically reduce your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes (8). Besides weight loss, boosting your metabolic rate will improve your energy, accelerate healing and improve your overall immune function.

And several studies have now shown that MCTs can enhance physical or athletic performance.(9)

And finally, as we have already discussed, coconut oil is incedibly good for your heart. The truth is this: it is unsaturated fats that are primarily involved in heart disease and too much sugar and processed foods, not the naturally occurring saturated fats, as you have been led to believe. (10)
  • MSepp
    Options
    Be wary of any article that promotes a food or supplement that "works wonders". These trends will come and go. Remember that trans fatty acids came about because everyone thought that a plant-based fat would be healthier for you than animal fat (aka butter)...so they developed a fake fat from natural oils like vegetable or canola.

I'm just saying...some of the science behind these "wonder foods" is a bit shifty.
  • MSepp
    Options

And finally, as we have already discussed, coconut oil is incedibly good for your heart. The truth is this: it is unsaturated fats that are primarily involved in heart disease and too much sugar and processed foods, not the naturally occurring saturated fats, as you have been led to believe. (10)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/AN01899

I am sure we could post conflicting research on this topic all day long and still never come up with a definite answer on this. Just saying-this may actually be a stumbling block for a lot of people trying to lose weight. Even if a saturated fat comes from a natural source, it's not necessarily good for you. Calories alone should be a clue.
  • scottstofko
    scottstofko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Coconut oil in my fat loss. The 21daybodymaker suggests using at least 3 servings off "good" fats per day to help promote fat loss. I can say that I put one tablespoon in my morning protien shake and it curbs my hunger better than when I don't include it.. Also I have only lost 11 pounds of body weight but my fat loss has been much more. Of course I made other dietary changes as well, but I do beilieve that taking in good fats helps loose bad fats. The other good fats I take in is one tablespoon of Olive oil and avocado (half per day)