Not all fish oil is created equal!

Options
I've seen some questions and talk on here about Fish Oils/ Omega 3 and so forth.

I wanted to put together a little bit of info on what to look for. A lot of this is based from talking to some industry reps of some larger branded supplement companies that shared a lot of info with me. As well as recently I got a chance to talk with a pro bodybuilder and he talked a few minutes with me about Fish Oils when I asked.

The biggest thing they all said is not all fish oil is created equal. One of the largest things to look for is you want to make sure that the EPA is 2:1 of the DHA.

Example: The pill has 1,400 mg of Fish Oil, It has 253 mg of DHA in it, you would want to have at least 506 mg of EPA then. This is an interesting point because if you look a lot of the cheaper fish oils do not have this ratio.

I asked why this was important and the response I got was it provides a higher improved insulin sensitivity and better absorption of protein following workout with the 2:1 ratio. It's why your high end fish oils will all most likely be "triple strength" on the bottle. Not to say you can't get that ratio on the cheaps. I buy a solid brand called Spring Valley that has a "triple strength" fish oil from my local supermarket. It runs about $8 for 60 softgels and you take 1 softgel a day. It has an EPA of 647mg, and a DHA of 253mg.

Another thing to look for how it was processed. Look for pharmaceutical grade fish oil or that it has been molecularly distilled, a process that takes place in a vacuum to avoid oxidation of fish oil. This is the best process to remove impurities and contaminants from fish oil.

The source of the fish is another thing we want to view on the label when we look. If the label just says "fish or fish sources" put it back on the shelf. You want the oil to come from fish that is used for human consumption. (Salmon, Anchovy, Sardines, etc.)

One final thing I will touch on, If you hate the fish burps look for Enteric Coated fish oil, this will allow the pill to dissolve further down in your system so you aren't burping fish back up. I love enteric coated pills as I noticed with an earlier fish oil I was taking I would burp sometimes and there was a STRONG fish smell from it.

This isn't a 100% complete guide, there are other sources for the Omega 3's (Krill Oil, Cod Oil, and etc.) I did not touch on those in this article. I just wanted to throw out some info that people sometimes are not aware of when looking at fish oil. One last word of advice, fish oils can go rancid look at your EXP date. It's one of the few supplements I won't take after the exp. date.

I hope this clears up some questions that people have had about fish oils!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    So mine says EPA 360mg and DHA 240mgs then it says 0mega-3 is 600mgs... so its not all that great because the EPA isn't 2xposted the DHA count. Hmmm.... I'll take a better look next time.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    So mine says EPA 360mg and DHA 240mgs then it says 0mega-3 is 600mgs... so its not all that great because the EPA isn't 2xposted the DHA count. Hmmm.... I'll take a better look next time.

I don't believe it's bad persay like they made it out to be from reading online. I just don't think it's optimal.
  • butterflygail
    butterflygail Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that information. Actually my eye doctor recommended that I take fish oil, and said Krill oil is good to take. I just looked at the bottle and it says 50% EPA and 24% DHA, so that looks good.
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    I've seen some questions and talk on here about Fish Oils/ Omega 3 and so forth.

I wanted to put together a little bit of info on what to look for. A lot of this is based from talking to some industry reps of some larger branded supplement companies that shared a lot of info with me. As well as recently I got a chance to talk with a pro bodybuilder and he talked a few minutes with me about Fish Oils when I asked.

Another thing to look for how it was processed. Look for pharmaceutical grade fish oil or that it has been molecularly distilled, a process that takes place in a vacuum to avoid oxidation of fish oil. This is the best process to remove impurities and contaminants from fish oil.

^ Do you believe that this ensures that the fish oil has the lowest possible contamination from Mercury?

Not sure if this is obvious, but I find it helpful to store the capsules in the fridge. They are just a lot less 'fishy' that way...:laugh:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    So what is the difference between Fish Oil and Cod Liver Oil?

Mine is Pure cod liver oil, extra high strength:

Pure cod liver oil and fish oil concentrate - 1050mg
    provding omega 3 nutrients - 400mg
    or which EPA and DHA - 360mg
    Vitamin D - 5micrograms
    Vitamin e - 10mg
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Vitamin D - 5micrograms
    Vitamin e - 10mg

Cod oil has higher levels of vitamins A and D. People consuming cod liver oil should pay attention to how much vitamin A and vitamin D they have in a day. Since both are fat soluble vitamins and you can get too much of them.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Vitamin D - 5micrograms
    Vitamin e - 10mg

Cod oil has higher levels of vitamins A and D. People consuming cod liver oil should pay attention to how much vitamin A and vitamin D they have in a day. Since both are fat soluble vitamins and you can get too much of them.

But should i consider changing to actual "fish oil", which i read has a higher amount of DHA and EPA. It seems fairly hard to find "fish oil" here in the uk, its all cod liver oil.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Good and instructive info. Thank you.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I have heard repeatedly that fish burps are caused by oxidized fish oil. The higher quality (and higher priced) brands do not generally cause fish burps.

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/FAQ's/FAQs/389

I realize this info is from a manufacturer but it does explain how the oil could be oxidized in the manufacturing process and why some companies tout their products as enteric coated.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure they aren't filling your capsule with soy oil...that is quite common as well.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that information. Actually my eye doctor recommended that I take fish oil, and said Krill oil is good to take. I just looked at the bottle and it says 50% EPA and 24% DHA, so that looks good.

I take krill oil, too. The expensive kind, in hopes that all mercury and dioxins are removed. We've turned our oceans into toxic sewers.
  • raptor_strife
    Options

Holland and Barrett has a good range of fish oil products.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Yeah, i was just thinking about them, we do have one of those in our town...but...im not sure about changing. I mean the cod liver oil has been helping my bad knee too....still not sure...

This is what i currently use:

http://www.seven-seas.com/cod-liver-oil/products/extra-high-strength-capsules
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I have heard repeatedly that fish burps are caused by oxidized fish oil. The higher quality (and higher priced) brands do not generally cause fish burps.

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/FAQ's/FAQs/389

I realize this info is from a manufacturer but it does explain how the oil could be oxidized in the manufacturing process and why some companies tout their products as enteric coated.

Interesting info. I burp a lot even if I don't take a fish oil. I go for the molecular and enteric coated pills. Get them both and be done with it :-D
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

I take krill oil, too. The expensive kind, in hopes that all mercury and dioxins are removed. We've turned our oceans into toxic sewers.

In the fish oils that have been molecular distilled they have tested time and time again and do not find traces of mercury. It seems it does its job. Another reason to go with a brand you trust.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I have fell in love with these new fish oils that have candy outer coatings from some of the bigger names in the supplement industry. They taste like candy coated advil!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    any brands you would recommend? i just hate taking the stuff more than once a day and i hate the gross burps
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    any brands you would recommend? i just hate taking the stuff more than once a day and i hate the gross burps

iForce's new fish oil is nice, small pills compared to fish oil pills. I take 4 a day 2 am and 2 pm. They do give small fish burps though.
    Controlled Labs makes a great fish oil.
    One of the best priced I've found and I usually take is the NOW premium triple strength fish oils by ADAM. Good stuff and cheap!
    Walmart has a decent brand called Spring Valley that has triple strength enteric coated ones as well.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

iForce's new fish oil is nice, small pills compared to fish oil pills. I take 4 a day 2 am and 2 pm. They do give small fish burps though.
    Controlled Labs makes a great fish oil.
    One of the best priced I've found and I usually take is the NOW premium triple strength fish oils by ADAM. Good stuff and cheap!
    Walmart has a decent brand called Spring Valley that has triple strength enteric coated ones as well.

i can't take any kind of fish burping, it makes me nauseous. even a small one is awful in my opinion... but that's just me... what about these krill oil tablets i keep hearing about? are they as good?