Who's HARDCORE - Week 4

Options
SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
So after a week from hell, with my boss tossing WAAAAY to many projects at me. I kind of lapsed with the hardcores this week, I barely had time to get one really good 45 minute workout in yesterday, but have been working non stop for 4 days straight. So now, without further ado. Let us continue.

After tomorrow, my load lightens up and I'll post another workout. But please, anyone who has one, feel free to post it up.

I still have to do the belly dancing one. I just haven't had time to do it yet. I WILL though, I promise. Maybe I'll even video it to prove it to you guys (ugh!)

Spring is in the air now (even though it's gonna be 20 degrees tonight) and I can almost taste my outside workouts. I hope you guys have some nasty outdoor stuff too. Cuz this being inside all winter crap is for the birds!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    Options
    So after a week from hell, with my boss tossing WAAAAY to many projects at me. I kind of lapsed with the hardcores this week, I barely had time to get one really good 45 minute workout in yesterday, but have been working non stop for 4 days straight. So now, without further ado. Let us continue.

After tomorrow, my load lightens up and I'll post another workout. But please, anyone who has one, feel free to post it up.

I still have to do the belly dancing one. I just haven't had time to do it yet. I WILL though, I promise. Maybe I'll even video it to prove it to you guys (ugh!)

Spring is in the air now (even though it's gonna be 20 degrees tonight) and I can almost taste my outside workouts. I hope you guys have some nasty outdoor stuff too. Cuz this being inside all winter crap is for the birds!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    What, nobody around? Where's my motivation? :tongue:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Nobody responded, lets go folks, I don't want to give up!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's only 7:15 am here LOL, everyone's still asleep! :laugh:
    I had a crazy week too even though it was spring break. I worked 8 days straight with an inventory thrown in just for fun. :grumble: I still did some pretty hardcore stuff though. :bigsmile: I'll try to write something up this week.
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    SHBoss... Ok, I'll chime in. First of all, you're awake WAAAY to late... lol. Secondly, I just got finished with my first P90X workout, Chest & Back, then Ab Ripper X... I am beyond spent... Good lord...

Have a great day..!

-Tony :bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    lol, more like WAAAY to early. The time is PST I think, we are 3 hours ahead. (EST):tongue:

So I'm going to do something brutal to myself today, then I'll write it up too, that way we have a couple of weeks worth of stuff. Anyone who wants to, write something up.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I'm going to do the CardioCore interval class tonight. I'll post up whatever we do in there. We always use minimal equipment and it's pretty brutal. I'm about to go to some lifting and cardio.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    you're a machine lady!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i'm still here! the last workout i did (or tried to do) was banks intervals. i started jogging in the park, and lost my print out! doh! so, i kinda did my own thing, including running up and down these dirt stairs... it definitely had the desired effect (lots of sweaty-ness, rubbery legs, mild nausea).

so, i'm ready for more punishment! i'm doing a bellydance competition in spetember, so anything to help get my @$$ in gear is graetly appreciated:laugh:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    My suregery is this Thurs and then I'm out for a while. So I have to make hardcore use for the next 3 days! Thanks for the message Banks.
  • AmyBrenn
    AmyBrenn Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here and LOVE getting a good hardcore workout in. I teach a boot camp style aerobics class at a local gym and it's my favorite thing to teach, with kickboxing coming in a close second. When I started teaching aerobics, my goal was to create a hardcore class that men and women could come to and just get a good, a**-kicking workout. I never did like the choreographed aerobics classes because I spent too much time trying to figure out the choregraphed moves and I didn't get a good work out.

I thought I would post up my M-F workout for anyone who needs something to do or try. I became a little too efficient at the other exercises I was doing, so I needed to mix it up a bit and really challenge myself. I have found it in these two routines. I am fortunate enough to have a gym in my office building on the 13th floor. It has a track around it that I run laps on. 14 laps makes a mile (yes, it's a small track). :)

M,W,F - Boot Camp inspired workout:
    Jog 4 laps around track
    5 sets, 12 reps each of squats, push-ups and crunches - go from one to another to another as quickly as possible
    3 laps around track, lap two "sprinting" (as fast as I can go)
    5 sets, 12 reps each of step jumps (jumping onto a aerobics bench into squat position), lunges, bicep curls (30lb straight bar)
    3 laps around track, lap two sprinting
    5 sets, 12 reps each of plie squats w/10lb medicine ball (throwing ball overhead after squat), tricep dips, trunk twists w/ 10lb medicine ball
    4 laps around track, lap two sprint

All together, I end up running 1 mile during the routine. It's a killer and I've got it down to about 40 minutes. The goal is to get faster at it.

T, Th

Stairs and lots of them. Like I said before, our building has 13 floors so I start at the 13th floor, walk down to the first floor and come back up. I'm up to doing that 5 times, which is my limit for now. My objective is to be able to run up more and more floors the stronger I get. I can make it to the 5th floor before I have to stop and catch my breath. Stairs are like nothing else. I can run a 5K without getting too winded, but stairs kill me. What I like most is that you don't have to do anything but walk the stairs to get a good solid cardio burn. As long as I keep moving, I'm huffing and puffing and getting my heart rate up there!

So, there you go. I have vowed to do this routine every weekday for the month of March and so far, I've stayed with it. I feel stronger and I have more energy during the day. Hope you get as good of a workout as I do with this.

Amy
  • emtink
    Options
    thanks Amy! i'm trying your boot camp workout today!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    OK, I'll give that a shot. Sounds fun. One question, when you say lunges, do you mean 12 each leg, or 12 total?

Also, I assume we should up the weight on anything weight bearing (30 pound curls doesn't really do much for me as my max is about 140) Do you have percentages instead? I'm thinking 60% max would sound about right, but maybe 65% would be better. Not sure.

so the running should be about what, 45 seconds hard, 30 seconds easy?
    it's 1/14th of a mile for a lap, so 2 laps is 1/7th which is about 250 yards (if you can sprint a 17 second 100 yard dash, which you probably can, then that would be about 45 seconds for 250 yards)
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll give that a shot. Sounds fun. One question, when you say lunges, do you mean 12 each leg, or 12 total?

Also, I assume we should up the weight on anything weight bearing (30 pound curls doesn't really do much for me as my max is about 140) Do you have percentages instead? I'm thinking 60% max would sound about right, but maybe 65% would be better. Not sure.

it's 1/14th of a mile for a lap, so 2 laps is 1/7th which is about 250 yards (if you can sprint a 17 second 100 yard dash, which you probably can, then that would be about 45 seconds for 250 yards)

HOLEE Banks! So what am I doing sprint-wise on the treadmill? 45:30?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

HOLEE Banks! So what am I doing sprint-wise on the treadmill? 45:30?

I think. That's what it looks like, but I'm waiting for a response before I commit. I did my killer today anyway, so this will be wednesday for me. I couldn't get creative today, just decided to do some *kitten* kicking and be done with it.

I just did

5 min warmup
    1 min max tredmill (20 second rest)
    as many underhand grip pullups as you can do
    20, 30 lb dumbell jump squats (20 second rest)
    10 80% max Lateral pulldowns
    20 jump ups (to a bench, or an aerobic step if the bench is too high) (20 second rest)

1 minute rest (you may need more)
    repeat 2 more times (total of 3 times)

5 minute cool down,

core work (about 5 minutes)

35 minute total

340 calorie burn plus my biceps are dying right now. So it'll probably end up being another 250 to 300 in residual burn.
  • blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    Wow, this is great! My endurance is awesome but my strenth is another story...I am a pretty scrawny person, so I will def try this out! Have any other ideas for strength training that isnt boring and that I can do at home?
  • AmyBrenn
    AmyBrenn Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Yes, lunges are 12 on each leg. I've been adding a little weight for those as well. Just little dinky 8 lb weights in each hand, but it makes a difference. I've also been using the Bosu Ball to add some stabilizing muscles into the mix.

Up the weight to what would be your 60-65% max. I haven't figured out my max in a long time. I'm just going by a weight that is challenging for me where I'm barely able to finish all my reps with. I think I'm actually ready to up my weight to 40 lbs.

On the run, it's the other way around, if I'm understanding your question. I do three laps, with only my second lap being a sprint. So it's almost 45 seconds moderate pace, 30 seconds sprint. Hope that makes sense. I can do the sprint in around 30 seconds if I try real hard. I'm built for endurance not for speed.

Oh, and that was more than one question. :laugh:

blum0133

The whole purpose of these two exercises for me was to get stronger in the legs. I used to race mountain bikes competitively, but had a baby and fell out of racing for a while. When I tried to get back into it, I learned that my leg strength had gone south. The stairs give me the same feeling in my legs as I get when I'm on my mountain bike, so I know I'm doing some good there. I'm doing the Ouachita Challenge (60 miles of mountain biking) the first of April, so I really need to kick it into high gear. The Ouachita mountains in Arkansas are not easy!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    excellent! I look forward to it. But I'm going to keep the running part 45 sprint 30 jog, cuz I've been doing a lot of tabata lately and I think I can handle it. Like today I did 1 minute sprints (which are BRUTAL by the way). But I agree, for most, 45 seconds might be a bit much. Running is my forte. course I HATE lunges, which is why i'll do them, cuz the simple fact that I hate them means they are doing me a world of good!

thanks Amy!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    UGH, I am SO TIRED. :yawn:

I have lab from 3-6, and while I usually get out early, tonight we didn't finish up until 5:30. I couldn't eat in lab so my last snack was at 2:30, and it only contained about 12g carbs. By the time I got to my 6:20 class, I SUCKED AT IT. I couldn't jump worth crap! I was soooo tired. I hadn't eaten anything substantial since a cup of pasta at noon. I wasn't surprised at my performance, but how marked it was sort of surprised me. I had already lifted and done cardio from 9:45-11:15 am so I just hadn't replenished my BG enough. SEE how important post- and pre-workout nutrition is! :wink:

Anywho, I'll just post up what she did now so I don't forget. I have to change it a bit because not many people have an aerobic step.
    There's no rest between ANY of this. :sick:

5 Mountain Climbers (one rep includes a kick forward with BOTH legs)
    5 Push Ups
    ^ Repeat 6 times.

1 Minute Plank (push up position, balancing on exercise ball if available)

1 Minute High Knees

1 Minute Bicycle Crunches

1 Minute Slaloms (jumping really wide side to side like a skier)

1 Minute V-Sit Ups

1 Minute Jump Rope (or jumping in place)

1 Minute Windshield Wipers (lie on back with arms out to sides, lift legs to 90 degrees and drop them side to side like sideways leg lifts)

5 Runs in place
    5 High Jumps
    ^Repeat 6 Times

1 Minute Leg Lifts

Repeat the WHOLE THING twice. No rests. NONE.
  • emtink
    Options
    just did a wimpy version of amy's. i couldn't do all 5 sets, and still make it home:laugh: also, i didn't have weights out in the park, so i did the bicep curls when i got home. i did manage to run uphill back to my house for a big finish! listening to metal helps me run... who knew? i also have class tonight, which is going to SUCK with my legs all wobbly.

a big thanks to banks, sbs, hotmom, and now amy for posting these workouts!:flowerforyou:

now if my hands would stop shaking i could go unload the dishwasher:laugh: