How long should I wait after eating to work out.

Options
I am new to MFP and just joined a gym last week. Wondering what thoughts are on when to eat on your workout days. Before going to the gym or after? If before how long should I wait? I would apprieciate any thoughts/ideas.

Replies

• HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I try to eat before the gym, but ideally give it an hour to settle. I went last night almost right after eating a big dinner & felt uncomfortable, BUT it is worse when I have an empty stomach & am starving while I work out!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and just joined a gym last week. Wondering what thoughts are on when to eat on your workout days. Before going to the gym or after? If before how long should I wait? I would apprieciate any thoughts/ideas.

I would base this decision on your personal preference and gym performance.

You can train fasted or you can train fed. If you train fed you should experiment with timing because you may have discomfort eating too soon before training.
  • jawolfe
    jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If I'm lifting weights, I don't really weight. If I'm not jumping around it doesn't upset my stomach. If I'm doing just cardio I have to weight, an hour is fine for me. Also everything now says to always do your weights before your cardio, so if you are doing both it can buy you some more time. I agree with the previous post, it's personal preference so that you feel good and have energy! The one # I do hear is about after your workout...that you need to eat within 45 min of your workout to have benefit.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    An hour or 2