Say It Ain't So!: Bacon May Increase Cancer Risk 20%

Options
2»

Replies

• LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Something that came to mind because of a conversation in my home about statistics the other day... 20% of a very small number is... a very small number.
    If your cancer risk is very low, eating bacon isn't going to increase it by very much. I feel like the things that make cancer risk truly significant don't affect the majority of the population.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    This study is kinda lame.... when they say 20% they mean instead of 1 out of 77 people getting pancreatic cancer.... 1.2 out of 77 people getting it. That's not as drastic as they're trying to make it out to be, and could have nothing to do with the addition of bacon to their diet. People who eat a lot of bacon are likely to partake in many other unhealthy behaviors that are just as likely to explain the discrepancy.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    What kills are the sodium nitrites in the bacon, and in all processed meats. The only thing you can say about pancreatic cancer is that you don't live long once you have it.

Like your bacon? Get the food industry to accept that it is perishable. Stop the use of carcinogens to preserve meat.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    We need to promote this story so that people will boycott bacon. Then us true bacon lovers will have it all to oursleves, hopefully at a lower price because they just wanna sell it any way they can.

I like how you think. I just poilshed off a couple of slices of the stuff and I am feeling good...
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My grandma is 89 years old. Has no known health problems. Every day for breakfast she has one fried egg with about 4-6 pieces of bacon!!!
    Anecdotal evidence will not be accepted. You grandmother is a freak of nature which falls outside the test parameters.
    Lots of people can offer up anecdotal evidence to things, but I always have to take that with a grain of salt.
    There are people who smoke who do not get cancer, but many smokers do--that does not mean that smoking DOESN'T cause cancer, it means that it doesn't cause cancer in ALL users. There are heroin addicts who have had healthy babies with no problems, but that doesn't make doing heroine while pregnant a healthy thing. Same with things like "bacon increases cancer risk". Bottom line--it's NOT healthy--it's up to the user (in this case eater) to make the choice!
    This is why we need comic sans as the universally accepted font for sarcasm.
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon.....

I don't think I've met anyone (minus vegetarians) who did not like bacon.

You can't argue: It just makes everything better.

lol, my father in law doesn't like it!! Freak!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Bacons ready!!

Only thng that causes cancer is too many grains and carbs.....:wink:
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Im veggie, dont even miss it to be honest. yall can have it :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Only thng that causes cancer is too many grains and carbs.....:wink:

No.
  • khua0808
    Options
    I love these studies that say certain foods increase cancer risk or this or that health risk by X amount %: it's so vague. They usually just say don't do this or that or you will increase cancer risk by 100%, 100% of what? It might be increasing cancer risk from 0.1% chance of you ever getting it to 0.2% in your life time. I'm sure bacon is then worth the risk.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My grandma is 89 years old. Has no known health problems. Every day for breakfast she has one fried egg with about 4-6 pieces of bacon!!!
    Anecdotal evidence will not be accepted. You grandmother is a freak of nature which falls outside the test parameters.
    Lots of people can offer up anecdotal evidence to things, but I always have to take that with a grain of salt.
    There are people who smoke who do not get cancer, but many smokers do--that does not mean that smoking DOESN'T cause cancer, it means that it doesn't cause cancer in ALL users. There are heroin addicts who have had healthy babies with no problems, but that doesn't make doing heroine while pregnant a healthy thing. Same with things like "bacon increases cancer risk". Bottom line--it's NOT healthy--it's up to the user (in this case eater) to make the choice!
    This is why we need comic sans as the universally accepted font for sarcasm.

We do. Sarcasm gores unnoticed here otherwise.