Switching diet from protein/meal replacement shake to real f

I'm gonna be making a switch over from protein shakes, (which are SOOOO easy) to Clean Eating by Tosca Reno. Which should also help me with keeping more calories spread out thru the day versus calorie load at night. Not sure why...I'm losing weight at my current plan, but think long term this will be more beneficial. ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

Current plan
Bfast Coffee Protein Shake (the powder is Visalus) typically 165 calories
MidMorning Cottage cheese, fruit, or almonds 150 calories
Lunch Protein Shake typically about 250-350 calories
MidAfternoon Snack fruit, sliced veggies, or almonds 80-150 calories
Dinner Lean Protein (chicken, pork, fish, or lean red meat), one complex carb (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sweet potato) and veggie typically 450-500 calories
LateNight Snack/Dessert (I really really really like my dessert) Bowl of fresh berries, with a couple of graham crackers, and one serving of dark chocolate ghiradelli chips with whipped cream/ or sub out berries and whipped cream for freshly ground peanut butter 350 calories.

Eating Clean
5-6 meals thru day but each one about 200-300 calories pretty similar to what I've been doing, but instead of shakes real food and balancing more the calories thru the day.

Suggestions of food options, if this is what most people are doing to get in the proper nutrients, and/or if they current plan is working should I just stick with it? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Real food is definitely an improvement on something fake!

Small portions are the key. Eggs are quick and easy for breakfast (or any time!). Tinned fish (sardines or mackerel) are another handy stand by. Snap pot of baked beans. Salad leaves with a slice of ham or chicken. Parma ham with some tomatoes. Bowl of soup.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    In my opinion:

You will probably be very hungry at night if you switch plans.

I would instead consider replacing your protein shakes with food items of similar calorie/macronutrient composition so that your end of day totals are the same, but don't over-concern yourself with the concept of clean eating and certainly don't worry about spacing your intake evenly over 6 meals.

You'll get the benefit of satiety from eating more real food but you can keep your late night snacking and enjoy whatever treats you want here and there. If you keep your intake the same as it is now you'll still progress and I would expect this plan to be EASIER to follow since presumably, your food (the food that replaces your protein shake) will probably satisfy you more.

This plan will be less restrictive but still provide you the benefits of your proposal.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    I could give you a ginormous hug for that!!!! I don't get as hungry thru the day especially at work or if I do I'm too busy to notice so I really enjoy eating my food at night where I can sit down (yes I sit down at the dining table for both the dinner and after dinner/snack) and ENJOY it!!!! During the day I'm literally just eating because I know I need to....I had a HUGE problem bad habit that developed where I wasn't eating at all during the day except for coffee and then coming home and just gorging. So now I try to eat thru the day (hence the convenience of the protein shakes) enough to keep me sated so I don't come home and go crazy at night. Cooking better meals and eating at the table with my husband have just enhance the "enjoying" my food at that time.

Thank you everyone. I do know that long term I can't rely on convenience and that real food is the better way to go. I'll need to figure out more higher protein options for those meals. I plan on making food ahead of time to just grab and heat and go.
    In my opinion:

You will probably be very hungry at night if you switch plans.

I would instead consider replacing your protein shakes with food items of similar calorie/macronutrient composition so that your end of day totals are the same, but don't over-concern yourself with the concept of clean eating and certainly don't worry about spacing your intake evenly over 6 meals.

You'll get the benefit of satiety from eating more real food but you can keep your late night snacking and enjoy whatever treats you want here and there. If you keep your intake the same as it is now you'll still progress and I would expect this plan to be EASIER to follow since presumably, your food (the food that replaces your protein shake) will probably satisfy you more.

This plan will be less restrictive but still provide you the benefits of your proposal.