Eating while traveling

Options
I will be taking a short vacation at the end of the month and am afraid I will not be able to control my eating as well, though I will keep up with exercise. Any ideas?

Replies

• suumessage
    Options
    I will be taking a short vacation at the end of the month and am afraid I will not be able to control my eating as well, though I will keep up with exercise. Any ideas?
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    SALAD SALAD and more SALAD! Restaurants usually have pretty good salads with lean meats like chicken just make sure you get a low fat dressing and order it on the side, thats what I do! Maybe bring some snacks of your own that always helps, have fun and good luck!

~Leash
  • CharInBC
    CharInBC Posts: 11
    Options
    Drink a lot of water to help keep the growlies at bay.

I agree with aliciakarver...carry healthy snacks so you have them on hand when hunger strikes.

I'm going to Vegas next week...I'll need all the willpower I can muster up. :bigsmile:

I hope you have a lovely vacation.

Charleen
  • Water•Baby
    Options
    I find that I can do a pretty good job of controlling breakfast & lunch - which leaves some room for going a little crazy at dinner. I'll stick to cereal, yogurt or fruit for breakfast - then I plan on a midmorning snack & will carry protein bars with me (maybe around 140 calories). At lunch I'll do salad with maybe a small roll or slice of bread. Then another bar or maybe a banana late afternoon. There are good, healthy salad choices at fast food joints now. Some salads are better than others, so ask if they have the nutritional postings.

Like others said, water is really important. Walk as much as you can. Split meals if possible. Send the bread back if they bring it to the table at the restaurant. I was STUNNED to discover how many calories are in a slice of french bread! Argh!

Hope this helps and you have a wonderful time!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ahh yes, the age old, "how do I cope when I'm not home?" Question. It's a tough answer, one you may not particularly like, but if you want to stay on the wagon, you need to do some research. if you go out to eat, call first, find out what they use when they cook (I.E. do they use butter when they saute their vegitables? Is the "Broiled" scrod really broiled or is it baked in butter and/or oil?)

I know that sounds like no fun. But the alternative is to seek out places that specialize in healthy foods. Or go to places with nice salad bars. And always ask for a take home container if the meal they bring is bigger then you usually eat. Cut it up and put part of it in there right away. Don't even tempt yourself, close up the container and ask them to hold it for you. It's all about the tip for your waiter, so if you ask early on, they are usually happy to do it.