What was your 'AHA' moment?

Options
I was having a conversation with some fellow overweight work buddies of mine and we were discussing AHA moments that motivated us to seriously get into shape. I've had several but my most recent was finding out that my accurate body fat reading was about 10% more than I had previously thought.

I'm just curious... what was your "AHA moment" that finally kicked you into gear?

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I was having a conversation with some fellow overweight work buddies of mine and we were discussing AHA moments that motivated us to seriously get into shape. I've had several but my most recent was finding out that my accurate body fat reading was about 10% more than I had previously thought.

I'm just curious... what was your "AHA moment" that finally kicked you into gear?
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My "AHA moment" was when I had been invited to a family baby shower (Jan 09') and nothing fit! I relocated from Florida in July 08' and prior to moving I was eating healthy and exercising regularly so I had lost about 30 lbs and bought new clothes but to find out when I had to get dressed up nothing fit. I gained 20lbs back from all the stress and not focusing on me that I felt so horrible! It was this point that I said I'm no longer going to be overweight and got my booty in motion.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    pictures from the holidays probably... that and a combination of getting comfortable buying size 9/11 jeans... not cool
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    When I saw stretch marks begin to appear on my ARMS. Holy crap, those ugly little red lines started appearing and I just lost it. I will NEVER get another stretch mark that isn't from something that comes out of my hoohoo. :angry:
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree with astarte09.....I saw a photo of myself and realized that "those pants do not even fit me anymore..."

I hate that moment.

I hung the photo on my fridge for the longest time.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I was looking at an old highschool friend's wedding and honeymoon photos. She looked great, and I thought about having to suffer through having friends look at my wedding photos. I knew then that I wanted people to tell me I was a beautiful bride- and MEAN it. I didn't didn't want to look back and feel guilty about how I looked in my wedding pictures. I know that sounds really shallow. But it's true.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My Aha Moment was when my son made a comment about his "fat Mama." I realized that my children had no idea what I'm "supposed" to look like. They only knew the Fat Me.

Not anymore! Now they see The Real Me. :happy:

I'm happy to add that my youngest daughter has NEVER known me as a fat lady and when I show her photos and ask, "Do you know who that is?" She does NOT! Wooo!
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    My senior year grad photos! It really gave me the motivation when I started college!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Being a bit overweight all my life, I had a wrong body image, so to me 190 looked the same as 290. My moment came this fall when I went to Ethiopia and saw all those people starving and begging in the streets, I realized that what I ate in a day would feed this family for a WEEK. I was embarrassed at my size, embarrassed at my gluttony, etc. That was my AHA moment.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Being a bit overweight all my life, I had a wrong body image, so to me 190 looked the same as 290. My moment came this fall when I went to Ethiopia and saw all those people starving and begging in the streets, I realized that what I ate in a day would feed this family for a WEEK. I was embarrassed at my size, embarrassed at my gluttony, etc. That was my AHA moment.

Thats very very deep I often think about how much we consume compared to other countries...hats off to you for making the change and having compassion:flowerforyou:
  • chickadee10
    chickadee10 Posts: 350
    Options
    My AHA moment was I guess just seeing stretch marks on my stomach and sides and seeing how big my chest is, and realizing that I need to loose weight in my thighs and a little in my stomach.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    when I went to Ethiopia and saw all those people starving and begging in the streets,

woe, that just kinda hit me
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    when I went to Ethiopia and saw all those people starving and begging in the streets,

woe, that just kinda hit me
    Amen. That was powerful. That is great motivation to be a better person all around.

My AHA moment was when yet another medicine was added to my regime and it literally made me crazy. I was on 3 asthma meds, a high blood pressure med, stomach ulcer meds, and topomax for migraines/possible seizures. The topomax made me lose all control of my emotions. I almost yelled at my boss, but instead burst into uncontrollable sobbing. I couldn't hold myself together-- I seriously thought I was losing my mind.

In this crazed altered state, I decided I had to come off ALL my meds. I called my doc and told him. He told me to come in, and he allowed me to go off everything. Warned me what to look for, what I had to be careful of. I was monitored.... it's not recommended to just STOP meds like those.

I kicked my exercising and dieting into full gear. I started dropping weight. The symptoms of all those problems started subsiding.

I'm proud to say I no longer have high blood pressure and (AMAZINGLY) have asthma attacks only RARELY and they are mild, controlled by just my rescue inhaler.

My AHA moment was realizing that being on 7 daily meds (with my birth control) at the age of 24, my life was never going to change unless I changed it. You don't slowly grow out of those medications... doctors slowly add more. And I was done.
  • hadenough
    Options
    When my thighs became intimate friends.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I found myself barely unable to walk up stairs. I had very little energy to play with my son, I didn't want to take him to the beach because I was embarrassed with the way I looked, my husband admitted to watching me breath some nights because I would snore and the way I breathed worried him and he was afraid I would stop breathing.

And knowing my mom died at 50 and my maternal grandmother died at 49. (for various things). I want to beat those numbers and I decided if have it in my power, I would do it.

I was tired of FOOD controlling my life and decided then and there to never let it again. I am worth so much more than that and more importantly my son (and this baby I am carrying now) are worthy of a mother who will do her best to be around for them as long as I can be.

:flowerforyou:
  • czarina127
    czarina127 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My best friend asked me to be in her wedding. My first thought was 'No.' Because I didn't want to be in her pictures and she look back and think about how fat I am. So I went on a diet right away and promised I would fit into the dress she picked. Many of the dresses didn't go up to my size at the time even if they came in plus sizes. By time the wedding came around a year later I had lost 50 lbs and I ordered the 2nd to the biggest size NOT the biggest. I was so proud and everyone complimented me. Her Brother even told his girlfriend I looked like a pin up. Just the look I was going for.
    In that year I did a lot of reading and research trying to find what works for me. I learned a ton about the poisons I feed myself and really what I was doing to my health. I always expected to live to about 56 . Figured it was just my genes and I didn't have a choice. I do have a choice. Most days I choose to live longer and more usefully.
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    When my thighs became intimate friends.

HAHAHAAH!!!! This made me laugh out loud!!! Too funny!

Mine was when my boss said he chased shoplifters down blocks across parking lots etc etc to get the merchandise back and I sat there listening to him and realized that at my current size, I wouldn't be able to go a block, even if it was b/c some crazed a-hole was chasing me. So, I started running...then started eating right and that's what it took!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I was looking at an old highschool friend's wedding and honeymoon photos. She looked great, and I thought about having to suffer through having friends look at my wedding photos. I knew then that I wanted people to tell me I was a beautiful bride- and MEAN it. I didn't didn't want to look back and feel guilty about how I looked in my wedding pictures. I know that sounds really shallow. But it's true.

Thats not shallow at all, I totally know how you feel. I was a hefty bride (212lbs :sad: ) and every picture I look at I cringe.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    adopt4, again, you are my hero! also liked the thigh-friendship post. smiley-laughing.gif made me laugh out loud too!

My aha moment (there have been many), the one that moved me toaction was in January, we took a family vacation to celebrae my 50th and my mom's 80th bd. (pictures in my profile) I discovered two things. (1) My 80 year old parents are WAY more fit than I am. and (2) I love Southern Utah and I can hardly even walk around any more, let alone hike a little. :cry:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Thats not shallow at all, I totally know how you feel. I was a hefty bride (212lbs :sad: ) and every picture I look at I cringe.

I hate looking back at my wedding photos, at my chubby bubby self.