Does anyone know how many calories you burn doing an hour of

Options
I know that it all depends on your weight and heights, etc. But does anyone know of a good website that sums up the amount of calories you burn during a one hour session of Tabata interval training? I can't seem to find it in the exercise database on MFP...

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'd get an hrm if I were you. I was going off the websites ( including mfp) and sabotaging myself because they gave me a lot more calories. :-)
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If can afford it, buy a good heart rate monitor. They have a feature that will tell you calories burned. If you are tight on cash, get a cheaper heart rate monitor that only tells you average heart rate and duration of workout. Either way you do need a heart rate monitor if you want a correct number. Then use Excel or pen and paper to find your calories burned using the below formula.

There are tons of calculator website out there as well but I have found them to be significantly off. Most only ask for duration, age and what equipment I used. The problem is they don't know how hard I pushed myself. I could have been walking at 2.0 mph or running full steam at 6.0 mph for the 60 minutes on the treadmill.

Formula

The Journal of Sports Sciences provides a calorie expenditure formula for each gender. Men use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.2017) -- (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184. Women use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.
    Calculation

Let your age be 32 years and let your weight be 173 lbs. for this example. You're male and your average heart rate during a 37-minute exercise session was 133 bpm. Your calorie expenditure during this exercise session was [(32 x 0.2017) -- (173 x 0.09036) + (133 x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x 37 / 4.184 = 174 calories.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/221621-formula-for-calories-burned-during-exercise/#ixzz1jSCZpx5A