How to avoid late-night snacking?

Options

Replies

• cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This used to be my problem because I'm a bored eater. I started eating dinner later. I get home from the YMCA at 7:30 and usually finish my dinner after 8:00. Once I'm done dinner and have my final portion controlled snack, I close out my diary and then I know I'm done for the night. I still see my husband snacking late at night but I'm not even tempted at all!
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oh I mean SNACKING. Not just a few pretzels or some peanut butter, I mean I start eating and can't stop and destroy my goal & progress.

How do I stop this? Ugh

Instead of changing this behavior, have you ever attempted to just eat less calories during the day so that you can snack at night without going over your daily goals for intake?

I do this.. ^^
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is what I do: before I snack after I know I should be done eating, I enter the thing I feel like snacking on in my food diary, just looking at my cals go into the red is enough to let me know it is not worth it. :noway:
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    OK - I know where you're coming from. I am at that point too... it is not about hunger all the time. Sometimes it starts out as hunger, but we've come so far we know we can overlook a small hunger pang when we don't really have the calories budgeted for another snack.

For me this happens when I get home from work at midnight. Sometimes it is innocent (dangerous) thoughts that I need to satisfy a small craving - and then who knows how many tortilla chips (baked not fried as they may be, they're still laden with salt, calories, and guilt) enter my gullet... only to realize that the craving wasn't satisfied -- not even mollified! Nope - just gets bigger and more out of control.

The other night I stood in my kitchen after having fed the dog thinking - This is not the time to be opening those chips Peg - you are a little hungry but those chips are not going to do it for you... well, what WILL do it? I don't know... maybe a bowl of cereal... too many calories... because I'd need 2 servings so between Almond Milk and the cereal I was looking at 240 calories... so instead I BELIEVED my small inner voice that said I AM STRONG and just need a few tortilla chips.

At least 2 servings of tortilla chips later (140 cal each) - a handful of walnuts or two - two or three fistfuls of organic granola cereal (210 cal per serving) - I finally decided that I'd better have that bowl of cereal before I do some HUGE damage to my day.

I had a couple hundred calories left from the day -- but I went over of course. My biggest problem was what I call "piggie eating" - it is non-measuring, snuffalufagus eating! Just eating like there won't be enough time to get it all in if I don't work it. That's what I need to work on -- I am working on it.

I am starting to not allow food into my kitchen that is not separated into individual servings. I think that is my downfall and may be the same for the OP. If you had a bag of one serving you could eat through it and not feel so bad... but if you allow free feeding (which is what I allow for my cats) you lose control. I lose control too. This is a deep-seeded issue that you need to work on - find the issue behind it. When you can name it you can start to control it.
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I also get the munchies later in the evening as well & I like to add a snack to my food diary first thing in the morning a little snack for myself & then shape my day around it. I like filling up on tea also. My fav snack is the frozen yogurt's from chapman's> They don't tastle like yogurt at all but jusy like regular ice cream! They have many naughty flavors as well so it seems to satisfy me!
  • Marisa223
    Marisa223 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of tea. I browse through the tea isle when I am grocery shopping too, so I have a variety at hand. I also like the idea of setting a cutoff window for food. Mine is no snacking after 8:00. Only tea, and if I need something I stick to a small serving of fruit or vegetables.

A friend of mine made a sign for her fridge that said, "If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple..... YOU'RE NOT HUNGRY!" It is a simple but very effective way to remind yourself to check in with you're body.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't! I plan out my day to include late night. I have always been a late night eater and plan to continue so I make it fit. I don't believe it's when you eat it's what you eat.

Breakfast
    Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 1 tsp 16 4 0 0 0 0
    Coffee - Black, 10 fl oz 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 1 fl oz 15 1 1 1 13 2
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.25 tsp 2 0 0 0 0 0

Lunch
    Thomas' - Sahara Whole Wheat Mini Pita Pockets, 1 Loaf (28g) 70 14 1 3 160 0
    Generic - Beef Rib Eye Roast, 1.5 oz 102 0 7 14 37 41
    Alpine Lace - 25% Reduced Fat Swiss Cheese, 0.75 oz 70 1 5 6 90 15
    Mister Mustard - Hot Mustard, 1 tsp 5 1 0 0 80 0

Snack
    Clementines - Raw, 1 fruit (74g) 35 9 0 1 1 0

Dinner
    Chicken Breast - Boneless Correct, 3.5 oz 152 0 2 33 29 87
    Grilled Eggplant - Eggplant, 6 ounces 41 5 0 2 0 0
    Mccormick's - Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning, 0.5 tsp 3 1 0 0 373 0
    zucchini and yellow squash , 1 serving 83 10 5 4 16 0
    Generic - Pepperidge Farms, Light Style, 7 Grain Bread, 2 slice 90 18 0 4 150 0
    1 Tbsp Smart Balance Light W/ Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Buttery Spread, 0.5 tablespoon 25 0 3 0 35 0

Snack
    Orville Redenbacher's - Popcorn, Smartpop, , 1 bg 260 48 4 8 320 0
    Cucumber - Raw Peeled, 3 slice 3 1 0 0 0 0

Snack
    Mister Mustard - Hot Mustard, 0.5 tsp 3 1 0 0 40 0
    Thomas' - Sahara Whole Wheat Mini Pita Pockets, 1 Loaf (28g) 70 14 1 3 160 0
    Hellmans - Real Mayonaise, 0.5 tbs 45 0 5 0 45 3
    Chicken Breast - Boneless Correct, 1.5 oz 65 0 1 14 12 37
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Soduim Choles
    Totals 1,155 128 35 93 1,561 185
    Your Daily Goal 1,410 159 47 88 2,500 300
  • stevenronaldson
    Options
    You seem to eat a massive amount of junk food... chocolate and sweets every day, sometimes for breakfast! It shouldn't be that difficult to replace them with something more nutritious that will leave you extra calories for a bigger snack later in the evening if you want one.

I do the same, I often snack on something while I wait on the kettle to boil, or if I head to the toilet, I poke my head into the kitchen and have a handful of something, but if you actually want to cut fat as your profile suggests I think you need to be looking at snacks that are less packed with sugar and empty calories
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    this is what works for me :) Once dinner is done I clean up kitchen and go upstairs . If I stay down watching tv I know I would like to snack but if I am upstairs I will talk myself out of coming down to get snack. I also keep cucumber/celery sticks to snack on in daytime when I am down stairs.
  • Kasedilla718
    Options
    I will tell you what I do that works for me....As soon as I get done eating dinner I go straight to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I am too lazy to have to brush more than once so it truly helps to keep me out of the kitchen.
  • dls06
    Options
    You need to eat more real food. It will help fill you and allow you to eat more.
  • 23Brandy
    23Brandy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Check your protein. Have one oz of cheese or almonds if you are hungry. Check your fiber. Did you have an apple today between meals? Do not bring those snack foods into your environment. Give it away.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am lately eating fromage frais as a last thing in the evening... which seems to do the trick for me. Also, I do not have anything snackable in the house other then snack a jacks ^^, carrots and cucumber and celery....
    I am trying to break my addiction to chocolate at the moment, so am hoping to be able to withstand it for a couple of months, after that it usually gets easier and better
  • Alibobba
    Options
    I like to brush my teeth once I've decided I'm "finished" for the day/evening, rather than right before bed.
  • cjbennett2012
    cjbennett2012 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try appetite supressing teas, they work for me :)
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I like the gulping water idea a lot, going to try that. The only reason I don't plan for late-night snacks is because I can't do it moderately. lol. Once I go into red, it's f it, I'm already in the red. I wish peanut butter was all protein
  • Yarrum84
    Yarrum84 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to do that! I eat because I'm bored. I've found going to bed when the kids are in bed helps. I'll use the laptop or something in bed if I'm not tired. I tend to be so comfy that I wont move lol.

Pickled beetroot, gherkins, onions etc (someone else said pickles) are low calories.
    Crackers are good too. Find one that is tasty enough with NO topping on.

You could keep yourself busy on a night. Cleaning, doing something you kept putting off...
    Good luck
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Before you take the first bite... sit down and take a very deep breath. Think about what "might" be bothering you. Why would you want to do something that you know isn't good for you? Consider learning how to meditate. It sounds crazy, I know. But, really, if you simply relax and ask yourself four questions, without even trying to answer them, you'll be amazed at how that changes your desires:
    Who am I?
    What is my purpose?
    What makes me happy?
    What do I want?
    If you still have the urge to eat, ask the questions slowly, over and over, and eventually you'll be able to tell if you are truly hungry, or if you are just numbing an emotional need.
  • Avengertk
    Avengertk Posts: 102
    Options
    I just had a quick look, but you have a very high calorie allowance... not that I am jealous or anything lol but is this correct? also can only agree alot of sweet stuff going on even at breakfast.
  • dls06
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I like the gulping water idea a lot, going to try that. The only reason I don't plan for late-night snacks is because I can't do it moderately. lol. Once I go into red, it's f it, I'm already in the red. I wish peanut butter was all protein

It's not when you are eating it's what you are eating. You are not eating enough REAL food.