My caf's crepes--to good to be true?

Options
Can someone with more pastry-esque skill tell me if this is possibly true, or if my cafeteria's manager is just retarded?

My college cafeteria, which is very into local and organic food, has a section for crepes. The crepes are the wide, super thin kind that are dry-cooked on a circular plate in front of you. The crepe guy ladles some batter on, spreads it out until it's translucent, and cooks it up.

I've always wanted to try a savory lunch crepe, but never knew the calories. Recently, I emailed the manager a few questions on several of the cafeteria foods. One question was how much an unfilled, nothing-added crepe was. She replied that she would ask the caf's head chef, and later said that an unfilled crepe was 50 calories.

My first reaction was "YEEEEES!!!" But I am a cynical, suspicious type. Does this count seem possible?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Can someone with more pastry-esque skill tell me if this is possibly true, or if my cafeteria's manager is just retarded?

My college cafeteria, which is very into local and organic food, has a section for crepes. The crepes are the wide, super thin kind that are dry-cooked on a circular plate in front of you. The crepe guy ladles some batter on, spreads it out until it's translucent, and cooks it up.

I've always wanted to try a savory lunch crepe, but never knew the calories. Recently, I emailed the manager a few questions on several of the cafeteria foods. One question was how much an unfilled, nothing-added crepe was. She replied that she would ask the caf's head chef, and later said that an unfilled crepe was 50 calories.

My first reaction was "YEEEEES!!!" But I am a cynical, suspicious type. Does this count seem possible?
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    It is mostly egg whites right? You could always estimate higher if you think that it is higher.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. They are carbs and protein which have 4 calories per gram. A piece of bread has about 100 calories and they probably weigh half as much.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ok, you guys have eased my paranoia! Thankies!