trng for military competition; suggestions

Hi all, I am training myself for this military competition consisting of doing pull ups, leg raises, carrying a 185 lb dummy 50 yds, crab walking 50 yds and running 5 miles..... So I think I know what I need to do to get myself ready (I already have a decent baseline of fitness)

my main question is at what point before the competition should I back off my training (the event is in like 10 weeks)?

I mean the week of the event (let's say the event is on a Friday), should I cease hard trng the week prior? only exercise lightly until Weds and then rest until Friday?

thoughts?

any questions let me know

Replies

• no advice?
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Well, my husband did that in the military and he still did cardio the last week, and ate plenty of carbs and protein the day of. Oh and don't forget to hydrate!
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Since I don't know how old you are, I'll just shoot from the hip....

My ROTC son competes every other month and will train right up to the day prior. Lots of protein and carbs. One day rest.

Hope you tear it up!
  • I am 40
  • other advice?
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 909 Member
    anytime i do a marathon i only take off the night before and eat well.
    if i take off any more time then that my body doesn't react well.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    I usually take off the hard workout about 4-5 days before and then don't workout at all 2 days before, I have found I perform better when I do this.

So on Monday I would do a workout but lighter than what it would regularly be, then I wouldnt workout Wednesday or Thursday to allow my muscles to fully heal before the event. This may be more time than needed but It works for me..

Also make sure you're properly hydrating before the event (if you don't already drink plenty of water the entire week, not just the day before) I'm sure you know that, but I like reminders.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    I haven't done that, but I have run 3 marathons so far so I'll just tell you what I do. My last long run is two weeks before the actual race. The week before the race, I do some short and mid-distance runs. The week of the race, say it's on a Saturday, I'll take off Thursday, run an easy 2 miles on Friday and hydrate. Also, carb loading the night before does little. You should carb load the 2 or 3 days prior to that.
    For yours, I would do something similar, but maybe add some really light arm work in to it as well, just to keep yourself loose. If you've done all the training up to that point, killing yourself the week of the competition will not do much for you.
    Oh, and I'm 43, so I'm in your ballpark.