Why bother with a heart rate monitor?

Options
What benefit do you think you get? Just wonderin' ...

Replies

• jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I just got my HRM a few days ago and I LOVE it. I don't have to estimate calories anymore...so If I don't overestimate I don't overeat --> lose weight faster. Plus its just motivating to see how far you've gone etc. Also mine doubles as a pretty nice looking watch.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    well you can track your heart rate to make sure you are working out within a safe target heart rate zone, you can accurately track calories burned, you can track your progress and adjust your workouts as your heart gets healthier and can handle more strain.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Besides what Nickscutie said, heart rate recovery is a measure of general fitness as well. I measure mine all the time as an indication of my fitness. If I run a mile, my heart rate recovery time is decreasing with every session. Do I REALLY need to know that? Well, no, I can keep going as I am. But it's really good to know that what I am doing is working for me!
  • spartacus69
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

So are they primarily used by someone doing mostly cardio/aerobics/running/etc., where you might be targeting a HR zone, rather than someone doing strength/resistance training? I had one (the kind that goes around your chest) when I had an elliptical, and it would adjust the machine's resistance based on my heart rate, which was pretty cool, but haven't found a use for one otherwise.

Also I've heard they can be wildly inaccurate for calories ... thoughts?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've lost all of my weight without the help of a heart rate monitor. While I'm sure they are a useful tool to have, I don't think they are an absolute necessity in this journey. I've always used the numbers off the machines and done okay with them. I realize they aren't the most accurate way to judge, but let's be honest.. calorie counting is a guesstimation all the way around. I figure as long as I am eating better, eating less and moving more - I'll be okay. :)
  • mse123
    mse123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    HRM prevent you from cheating, I know I work harder when I have mine on !!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in tracking calories, I imagine a HRM would be good even with resistance training, since it would give you some idea of how hard you're working (I know my heart rate goes up when I'm lifting).

Also, in a similar vein to what other people have said, a HRM can be useful in cardio intensive activities, like running, because it gives you a very good idea of how hard your body is working, which can help with overall training. (That's the best way I can think to say this, without going into detail.)

As for the inaccuracies, it's hard to really know how accurate a heart rate monitor's calorie counts are, BUT, some of the less expensive models don't let you enter weight or sex, which can make them inaccurate (especially the weight part).
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP is WILDLY inaccurate with calories. I"ve not heard this at all about HRMs. In fact, the primary reason that I use my HRM is to determine exactly how many calories I've burned. I even went to far as to have a test performed on me at my fancy gym that measures your CO2 output (you wear a special face mask while on the treadmill) and as a result measures precisely how many calories you are burning at each heart rate level. I compared this test to what my HRM said and it was right on. I now have a feel for how many calories I burn, and my new HRM agree with this feel, and also with each other.

MFP calculations are based on averages and estimations of exertion. HRM calculate calories based on what your body is actually doing, your age, and what you weigh.

However, the estimates on gym machines are known to be wildly inaccurate. Some companies boost their report to you of how many calories you burn so that you will prefer to use their machines. The director of my gym told me this.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oh, a people use them with strength training as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The #1, #2, #3 and #4 reasons to buy a heart rate monitor are: to monitor your heart rate. A balanced cardio program should include workout of different intensities and durations and, over time, a heart rate monitor can help you stay in the appropriate "zone" based on your goal for the day.

HRMs can help push you when you need to be pushed and can help restrain you when you need to hold back. The more sophisticated models can also help store workout data and provide feedback about recovery and training status, among other things.

Are they necessary? Not really. It depends greatly on: one's ability to gauge one's exertion, one's overall knowledge of exercise physiology, and the goals of one's program.

For some activities--esp mixed-movement workouts such as exercise classes, I think HRMs can be very useful at helping you monitor overall effort when movements and intensities are changing quickly. In general, HRMs can give you the confidence to push to new levels.

The calorie estimating abilities of HRMs can be useful under certain conditions, but I think the "benefits" and accuracy are overstated, sometimes greatly so. First of all, only 2 or 3 brands are even accurate at all, so we cannot refer to "HRMs" in general when discussing this feature, only those few models that are even close to accurate. I would not recommend that anyone buy a heart rate monitor just for the calorie-estimating feature.

They are useless for strength training.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I find that I exercise more & think of new ways to get my workout just to find out how many calories it'll burn. It's a great toy! :)
  • mse123
    mse123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This morning I did the spin class (1 hour), the HRM said 1002 calories, MFP said 600?
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have tested my HRM ~ vs ~ The machine computer and MFP numbers ... I will tell you right now that an HRM is the closest to accurate you will see. MFP is extremely generous in giving calories burned. Does everybody need one ... Probably not, but if you eat all those calories back and don't see a loss it's because you didn't really burn that much. So word to the wise .. If not using an HRM, at least google your exercise and use other sites to give you an estimate and match it up to MFP. Better safe than sorry ... And yes, I know a thing or two about losing weight. ;)
  • Classic65Mustang
    Classic65Mustang Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM.

I think it is a HUGE help with my workout as I can see how hard I pushed myself that particular day. When I walk into the gym I already know what my target calorie burn for the day is and I try not to leave till I have hit it. Easier said than done on some days. Some days I even use it as my motivation, I look down and see what it says and use it to drive myself to go harder/faster/longer.

I use mine when lifting weights as you are still burning calories while lifting and I have even noticed that I sometimes burn more calories lifting than I do walking on a treadmill or riding a bike. The heavier and faster I lift the more calories I burn :wink:

It is also great for when you are zone training or on a recovery day to be sure you don't "over do it".

I found I use my HRM a lot when I run/walk outdoors as you don't have a machine telling you how far you've gone, your speed, etc..

One of the best investments I have ever made!!!
  • mrskesler
    mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good one? I'm interested in getting accurate numbers for calories burned.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP is WILDLY inaccurate with calories. I"ve not heard this at all about HRMs. In fact, the primary reason that I use my HRM is to determine exactly how many calories I've burned. I even went to far as to have a test performed on me at my fancy gym that measures your CO2 output (you wear a special face mask while on the treadmill) and as a result measures precisely how many calories you are burning at each heart rate level. I compared this test to what my HRM said and it was right on. I now have a feel for how many calories I burn, and my new HRM agree with this feel, and also with each other.

MFP calculations are based on averages and estimations of exertion. HRM calculate calories based on what your body is actually doing, your age, and what you weigh.

However, the estimates on gym machines are known to be wildly inaccurate. Some companies boost their report to you of how many calories you burn so that you will prefer to use their machines. The director of my gym told me this.

What HRM do you have? I accidentally ruined mine and want to get another one. Wondering which one you have since you like it :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good one? I'm interested in getting accurate numbers for calories burned.

Accuracy is based on the calculations they use, which will be impossible to know or compare between brands.

Never ever listen to someone say "mine is accurate". I'm not sure how they could possibly know that.

But, studies have shown a few items of info are needed to be as accurate as you can get outside a lab.
    Gender, age, weight.
    What can make it more accurate, resting HR, max HR, or VO2max.

Mainly Polar's are the only ones getting this info, may be others I've not seen may too. And it may be a matter of the price of the unit. I've seen some Polar's that don't get enough info either, and some expensive other brands do.. Polar is probably also the only ones to have paid for studies to get good formulas to use.

Most studies have shown they are only accurate from 90-150 bpm, after that the calculation accuracy falls off.

Hence the reason they may not be useful for pure weight lifting, where during recovery you may fall below that, and go well above it too.

I was surprised to use mine for the first time doing new low volume training weights, and it stayed above 100 the entire time, perhaps because that was my cutoff to go to next lift.
  • scanderton
    scanderton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A HRM is a great tool to help you train properly. They can help to ensure that you are not training too hard, monitor how many calories you are burning, track how long you have been working out. Some even come with built in GPS.

One of the features I enjoy with my HRM ( I have two a Polar RS 400, FT 80; and my wife has a Polar RS 300) is the wireless transmission from the chest strap to the machine allowing your heart rate to be displayed on the screen of most of the cardio equipment we use i.e treadmill, elliptical, stairclimber. This helps me see exactly how hard I am working without having to grab on to the machine.

Zone training is another thing. Whether you are doing High Intensity Interval Training, Low Intensity Steady State Training, Burst Training, etc. You want to know whether or not you are keeping the right intensity. HRM's are a fantastic tool for that.

I can't say enough positive about HRM's. Do remember that all are not created equal though. Do the research before investing and when it comes to HRM's going cheap may not be the smartest thing to do.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I don't have one yet as managed to lose weight without one but now I'm maintaining I think it may be useful to ensure I'm not overestimating calorie burns.

Just one Q - I am assuming u need to subtract the amount of calories u would burn doing nothing from the amount burned doing the cardio activity? Do you all do this & how do you make sure it's right!
  • lizjames1971
    Options
    Love mine!! Love the incentive it gives to walk another block, run another 10 minutes, do another set of weights, get out of bed early to push the total for the week over my 4500 goal! The numbers are very different to the gym machines- as it has more info it has to be more accurate than the treadmill!