Exercise bike!

Options
Getting one of them old exercise bikes tonight, its a REALLY nice one.. Just wondered, should I lift, do situps, and pushups before I ride the bike or after. I am planning on riding on various strengths and speeds for around 1 hour... It's one of the ones that were built properly, and it counts how many miles were on it. and It has a speed dial, and a resistance dial... Is this a good workout? Riding the bike as much as possible? Because the weather don't agree with running/walking.! Just some insight on exercise bikes please! THANK YOU!

Replies

• Eazy43055
    Eazy43055 Posts: 56
    Options
    Getting one of them old exercise bikes tonight, its a REALLY nice one.. Just wondered, should I lift, do situps, and pushups before I ride the bike or after. I am planning on riding on various strengths and speeds for around 1 hour... It's one of the ones that were built properly, and it counts how many miles were on it. and It has a speed dial, and a resistance dial... Is this a good workout? Riding the bike as much as possible? Because the weather don't agree with running/walking.! Just some insight on exercise bikes please! THANK YOU!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I have decent stationary bike...I hit it first thing am after 16 oz of water and 8-12 oz of black coffee...45 minutes ..then breakfast and weights or hike afternoon,....the bike is good cardio but no replacement for running but much more convenient
  • Eazy43055
    Eazy43055 Posts: 56
    Options
    This is going to get me A LOT more Cardio then I have been having! I have had VERY LITTLE cardio, just lifting,situps,pushups,dieting and lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks.. Now I am going to be doing some pretty good cardio on this bike! Hopefully it gives me the burn! HAHA!
  • girth
    girth Posts: 5
    Options
    Do your resistance training before cardio. You will then burn the glycogen/carbohydrate stores first so that when you do your cardio you tap into fat. Plus you will have more energy for lifting vs. steady state and/ or interval cardio.
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options
    When i go to the gym they told me to do the cadio before the weights??? so are you saying they are wrong that I should do the weights frist?? then the cadio?? when I am walking on the treadmill should I use hand weights?? why do people walk with weights??

sheila
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    When i go to the gym they told me to do the cadio before the weights??? so are you saying they are wrong that I should do the weights frist?? then the cadio?? when I am walking on the treadmill should I use hand weights?? why do people walk with weights??

sheila

walking with weights isn't good for your joints

Cardio first then strength is fine if your trying to lose weight

But if you are trying to tone then do the opposite- Per my Fitness Magazine--
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Sheila, I walk with hand weights to increase my calorie burn. When I walk with the weights I'm getting a good upper body workout while I walk. I have never heard that's it's bad for your joints. In fact my friend who's a DR. Says it's a great addition to walking. Cindy
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options
    cool I am going to check the weights out at the store I want to get a weight ball also...