Weight training

Options
I hate to weight train. I have done nothing to build my muscles. All I do is run on the treadmill. Does anyone have any helpful tips to get motivated to weight train? Ii don't havve a gym membership so i would have to do it at home.

Replies

• cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I hate to weight train. I have done nothing to build my muscles. All I do is run on the treadmill. Does anyone have any helpful tips to get motivated to weight train? Ii don't havve a gym membership so i would have to do it at home.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

starting out with weight training can be a difficult thing to start but you might want to give it a try before deciding you already hate it,,,,it can be intimidating but you will find it really isnt...start with body weight exercises like squats,,,push ups...lunges.....start slow,,, you will LOVE the results
    Dave
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Try pilates! they have dvds and you don't need weight- your resistance is yourself and bands-- The firm has a pilates video
  • graypink0130
    Options
    POwer yoga on FitTV I love it!!
  • klyn
    klyn Posts: 5
    Options
    While I am on the treadmill I exercise my arms: scissors straight forward, palms up and down, curls, elbow lifts behind my back, bend arms backwards over the shoulders and "pat" your back....I do a certain number, until I feel a little fatigued, and I am able to do more and more. I know it is working, because my muscles are sore later. You can add wieghts to increase the difficulty. I also slow down the treadmill so I can march, and then kick my legs up and back with each step. Find something you enjoy to watch or listen to and the time goes so fast! Then do lots of stretches, and if you can make yourself, your "crunches" or sit-ups of choice. It is very efficient for me to strength train while on the treadmill and raising your arms elevates your heartrate. Sometimes I do leg lifts while in bed or while brushing my teeth kick my legs behind me till my butt burns!
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I thought I would hate weigth training but I LOVE it! I love the way my muscles are starting to look!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    While I am on the treadmill I exercise my arms: scissors straight forward, palms up and down, curls, elbow lifts behind my back, bend arms backwards over the shoulders and "pat" your back....I do a certain number, until I feel a little fatigued, and I am able to do more and more. I know it is working, because my muscles are sore later. You can add wieghts to increase the difficulty. I also slow down the treadmill so I can march, and then kick my legs up and back with each step. Find something you enjoy to watch or listen to and the time goes so fast! Then do lots of stretches, and if you can make yourself, your "crunches" or sit-ups of choice. It is very efficient for me to strength train while on the treadmill and raising your arms elevates your heartrate. Sometimes I do leg lifts while in bed or while brushing my teeth kick my legs behind me till my butt burns!

I take exercises out of my finess mags-they're great reading too, and change up weights and resistance bands. They are cheap and great for you. You can get books for resistant band training also. You're muscles REALLY need to be trained. It'll benefit you with calorie burning, well too many things to type. Put on some good tunes and try it!:drinker:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I mostly run also, have to force myself to do other things. So I am doing the 100 push up challenge-(recent post) and I have been doing 30 day Shred video I also use an exercise ball for some other strength training. I keep it pretty simple. I don't have gym membership either.
  • cdgreen
    cdgreen Posts: 1
    Options
    The firm DVD series are great. Its cardio and light weights combined so you burn even more calories. The DVDs are fun and you won't even realize that you are weight training.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    for my 2 cents hit the iron hard:happy:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've mostly done running as well. I've started doing some body weight strength exercises every other night. As far as motivation I just do a set during commercials during a show I'm watching - getting back to the show is kinda like the reward for finishing the set.

I'm sure that's not ideal but if gets you started...

Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I thought we decided you were going to go row the boat:laugh:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options

I thought we decided you were going to go row the boat:laugh:
    I get the feeling my boat an't movin