Truvia/Stevia sweetners & sugar substitute

Options
I opted out of artificial sweetners a while ago after reading far too much about the nasty chemicals and what they do to your insides.

I just saw an ad on UK TV for Truvia and understand it is a Stevia plant product - thought produced in a lab.

So before I rush to the local Sainsbury's and buy me a batch - has anyone got any thoughts of its taste - some say its a bit aniseedy? use - can you cook with it? aftertaste?, cost?

If not I will buy it anyway and report back. :o)

This is probably old news but I have only started to take weight loss seriously in the last 14 days!
Tara

Replies

• PrissyJayne
    Options
    Hey Tara! I have recently jumped on the Truvia bandwagon and have no complaints! I have not yet tried baking with it, but I have added it to my grapefruit in the morning as well as bowls of sliced strawberries and mixed berries. I absolutely love it! It doesn't take much to sweeten and I haven't noticed any odd aftertaste. My guess is that anyone who reports an aftertaste is probably using too much.

Let me know what you think after trying it yourself. I plan to buy the measurable bag soon to begin baking with it and see what happens.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use this brand: http://www.steviasweet.ca/nutritionals.htm

I found the taste incredibly disappointing. At first pass it isn't overly sweet but the aftertaste packs a punch (and not necessarily in a good way). It also weirds me out that the company says not to consume if you're pregnant, a child or have low BP...makes it sound about as natural and safe as Sugar Twin. I'm working on taking my coffee and tea unsweetened so that I don't have to try and find a sugar substitute anymore.

Health Canada says I can have 280mg/day (4mg/kg/day) but that is a heck of a lot more than comes in the little packets (0.6mg) that are limited to two a day!

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodnatur/legislation/docs/notice-avis-stevia-eng.php
  • Safeena87
    Options
    Have you tried xylitol?