Just discovered my trigger food...

Options
Fritos Honey BBQ Flavor Twists are the work of the devil. :devil:

Since I started, I've never had an honest to god control issue. Every time I've over eaten (rarely), I've been okay with it. I never actually understood the not being able to stop mentality until tonight! I just ate an ENTIRE bag of those stupid flavor twists, totaling 1200 calories . I looked down into the empty bag and it was like wtf? Where did they all go?!?! Then that sick feeling settled in my tummy and I was quite literally shocked!

I think I know why I did it too. I've been enormously busy today (have people coming to town tomorrow, assignments I need to finish, work is really stressful right now and my house is a WRECK) and I just couldn't rationalize taking time out to make a meal, so I just snacked on twists for lunch and dinner.

So, I feel like I'm going to puke from all the nasties and I'm already over my calories for the day at 1435, but I am going to go make myself some yummy baked okra and steamed carrots, go to bed and start fresh tomorrow! :drinker:

Anyone else have a food they will just eat until its gone without even realizing?

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Fritos Honey BBQ Flavor Twists are the work of the devil. :devil:

Since I started, I've never had an honest to god control issue. Every time I've over eaten (rarely), I've been okay with it. I never actually understood the not being able to stop mentality until tonight! I just ate an ENTIRE bag of those stupid flavor twists, totaling 1200 calories . I looked down into the empty bag and it was like wtf? Where did they all go?!?! Then that sick feeling settled in my tummy and I was quite literally shocked!

I think I know why I did it too. I've been enormously busy today (have people coming to town tomorrow, assignments I need to finish, work is really stressful right now and my house is a WRECK) and I just couldn't rationalize taking time out to make a meal, so I just snacked on twists for lunch and dinner.

So, I feel like I'm going to puke from all the nasties and I'm already over my calories for the day at 1435, but I am going to go make myself some yummy baked okra and steamed carrots, go to bed and start fresh tomorrow! :drinker:

Anyone else have a food they will just eat until its gone without even realizing?
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hehehehe, not that I am saying I have had them since I started :ohwell: But I could eat the heck outa some HOT:mad: HOT buffalo wings.....or parmesian wings or lemon pepper wings.........oh hell I will go overboard just talking about them.......hehehehehehe

:sick:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying this stuff because I would just eat it all.... Trader joes trail mix, with like chocolate chips, nuts, and dried fruit. It's sooo good and sweet and salty so easy to keep eating! I got it for an after run snack but I found myself finishing bags in a couple days not good!

~Leash
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    Honestly, just about anything can do it for me - it just depends on my mood. But bread, cookies, cereal, pizza, Hot Pockets, candy, and chips are some of the worst for me.

I've read that a good way to stop yourself is to measure out exactly how many pieces of whatever you're going to eat, put it on a plate, and sit down at a table to eat them - slowly, with a glass of water or two - and to focus on the food. That way, it's not mindless eating, and you've set your body up to expect that when you finish eating, you're done, just like you are at mealtime.

Not that I follow my own advice - tonight, I was done in by the Thin Mints . . . :grumble:

Good luck!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I learned that a small handful of chocolate covered almonds has like 200+ calories. The small box in my friend's room has a total of around 4,000 calories... and I could easily clear out a whole thing over a 24 hour period. Hence why I don't buy then, and have him well-informed of my diet goals so that he yells when my hand sneaks over to grab some!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I find that measuring out EVERYTHING works for me. I buy crackers, chips, trail mix, sliced apples, etc. and then I measure out EXACTLY how much a serving is into those little snack bags. Then I can just grab a bag and not worrying about eating the whole thing!

Cuz I definitely could if it was there! :bigsmile:
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I have such a love/hate relationship with chocolate and sour cream & onion chips.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thats just the thing, I measured out the first serving, and the second, and the third. After that, I just grabbed the whole bag. I don't even remember THINKING. Obviously I wasn't. :laugh:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I find that measuring out EVERYTHING works for me. I buy crackers, chips, trail mix, sliced apples, etc. and then I measure out EXACTLY how much a serving is into those little snack bags. Then I can just grab a bag and not worrying about eating the whole thing!

Cuz I definitely could if it was there! :bigsmile:

do you ever notice that the food tastes like the little baggies? I have that problem when I do that
  • hbaggett67
    hbaggett67 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did that after I broke my foot/pelvis that caused the weight gain that brought me here. I would be hungry, so someone would bring me a bag of this or a bag of that, and they'd think I'd stop when I was done. Instead I had several times where I ate a whole can of Pringles or a jar of peanuts or whatever...didn't matter. And the worst part was being able to justify it later, right up until I was back on my feet again and had to face the truth. But, I think it is really easy to do!
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    Evil Donuts are my weakness. And I used to be a donut fryer- back before my now almost 20 year old daughter was born. I ate the odd-man-out off of every rack. (Raised donuts fit 25 on a rack, so I ate the one that I could not fit into the 2 boxes.) The only problem was that I ate the extra one off of every rack, and was powerless to stop- and I fried anywhere from 13 to 30 racks a day, 6 days a week!!!!

To this day, I have to be careful if I bring donuts in to the house for everyone- I wait to eat even one until there are only a few left in the box.

153131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • Laeci
    Laeci Posts: 12
    Options
    I CANNOT have Nesquik in the house, ever. I can go through the smaller boxes in a day, just eating spoonfuls. I also have cookie dough issues (they rarely actually make it into cookies!) I always keep Fudgecicles in the freezer in case the sweets craving strikes!
  • papersparrow
    papersparrow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Chex Mix is my trigger food. Or Gardettos Original flavor, especially the Rye Crisps. I could eat them allllll day.

PS: Tamishumate, I've noticed that too - whenever I pack food in a plastic bag, it tastes like it. I always hated bringing lunch from home during public school because of this fact =)
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options
    Thats just the thing, I measured out the first serving, and the second, and the third. After that, I just grabbed the whole bag. I don't even remember THINKING. Obviously I wasn't. :laugh:

OMG Hannah...I"ve So done that measuring out deal, 1 time, 2 times, 3 times...yup even measuring out the 4th serving realizing I could still be ok (with the calories), next thing I know I'm pouring them in the lid (peanuts)....ROFL now eating them by the lid full. ohhhhhhhh sheesh I So get what you're saying.

It's like we start out with the right mentality of doing the single serving then even think we can do it again, hey we measured it right? wow, glad to hear others deal with this from time to time as well to realize I'm not the only one working on this.

But the good part in all this.....you realized what you'd done.... But Seriously....what's up with the company selling empty bags of Frito Honey Twists ANYHOW!:angry::tongue: :laugh::wink:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Fresh baked bread. [Her eyes glaze over, she sighs and drifts away...] It seems like most foods are trigger foods for me, but that one is the worst!
  • amycakes812
    amycakes812 Posts: 441
    Options
    Honestly, just about anything can do it for me - it just depends on my mood. But bread, cookies, cereal, pizza, Hot Pockets, candy, and chips are some of the worst for me.

I've read that a good way to stop yourself is to measure out exactly how many pieces of whatever you're going to eat, put it on a plate, and sit down at a table to eat them - slowly, with a glass of water or two - and to focus on the food. That way, it's not mindless eating, and you've set your body up to expect that when you finish eating, you're done, just like you are at mealtime.

Not that I follow my own advice - tonight, I was done in by the Thin Mints . . . :grumble:

Good luck!

:laugh: The Thin Mints kicked my butt last night too!! I was sitting on the sofa for my Thursday night love affair with Ugly Betty, Grey's and Private Practice when all of a sudden I heard something calling my name. The Thin Mints were just begging to be let out of the pantry. So....I had 4 cookies and put them down on the end table. Should have walked those bad boys back to the pantry! :grumble: By the time all my shows were over the whole sleeve was gone. All I can say is at least there are 8 less TM per box this year, so I saved myself from one serving of them! :laugh:
    Lesson learned....wear ear plugs so I can't hear them calling me!