Eating clean for beginners

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've been hearing lots on posts about eating clean, so where as a complete beginner or newbie to the idea of clean eating can I find more information as I'm struggling to find information online,

Thanks
Nikkei x x

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means no processed or fast foods. Cook you own food from fresh ingredients. Whole grains, fish, meats, fresh or frozen no salt added vegetables, Non processed cheese, beans and nuts. Lots of herbs, spices and as little sodium as you can do. I don't believe many people stick to it completely, but as close to whole as you can get.
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    Im naturally doing this with my new diet, is it a good way to start out?
  • Vavettes
    Options
    My doctor just congradulated me for being clean finally. It feels good believe it or not. Our bodies were designed to eat foods naturally not processed. So yeah, stick to the fruits and veggies, grains and legumes. You'll notice the change and it sure does feel great!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I started eating this way because my doctor put me on a low carb diet, now I'm trying to re-vamp our whole family's lifestyle to eat this way. I've started only shopping from the outsides of the grocery store (dairy, meats, produce) and then make my meals from scratch. I do buy some canned fruit (but not if it has extra ingredients, just fruit and fruit juice or water) because now is not a prime fruit time, and I haven't made bread yet (my hubby eats sandwiches for lunch, so I do buy that) but I might... we'll see ;) I feel better and also feel like I'm truly teaching my kids how to eat right at the same time.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner and slowly starting.

For example, I had a poached egg, 1/4 red pummelo fruit (like a grapefruit but sweet), nuts, and coffee for breakfast.

For lunch I had 3 sliders and a 1/2 of a caffeine free coke. Not the best choice but I am doing better than I was.

Dinner will have to be carefully planned. Probably steamed broccoli, cauliflower and a baked potato.

Adding, you DO feel better. It is amazing.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Check out thegraciouspantry website - she has great resources - 101 of clean eating......and fantastic recipes
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This really helps!
  • grace1611
    Options
    I try to eat like this . I am always shopping.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i think i would like to try this. where can i read up on the basics
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Check out cleaneatingmag.com for great recipes and tips. Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism is basically clean eating. It explains why you want to eliminate preservatives and chemicals, and tells what you should eliminate and what you should eat. I've never following the eating plan, but information is good.
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Only buy and eat the stuff you find on the outside parameter of the grocery store.... stay away from the middle.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    And don't take your kids shopping with you :) I did this last night, and she started crying "I hate your new diet!!! I want cccooooooookkkkiiiiiieeeeesssssssss!!!!" :sad: People stared, I was embarrassed, and the deli lady tried to give her a cookie. Keep in mind, I have an 11-yr old who is in the "you hate me" mode of life, so not everyone has this issue--we never did before! :explode:
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    its simple. Just eat foods that are going to benefit you for the most part. Chicken, tuna, veges, fruits, berries, nuts, water. There are books you can get plus everyone here is always helpful. Good luck!
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    wow just checked it out. great helpful sight. i think im gonna slowly work this into my daily life
    Check out thegraciouspantry website - she has great resources - 101 of clean eating......and fantastic recipes
  • mrzpeep1
    mrzpeep1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    so do you still watch your calories when you eat clean?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    so do you still watch your calories when you eat clean?

Yes, because even with clean eating you can go overboard. The nice thing about clean eating though is you get more food for the calorie value, so you do tend to take in less calories which are processed easier by the body.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love eating this way and have been for a few years now. I indulged a bit more when I was pregnant, but even while pregnant I really wanted good fresh foods unlike with my daughter where all i wanted was ice cream, carbs, pasta, cheese, etc. I ate so much grapefruit and peaches in the beginning.

I try to be as clean as possible with my eating and if I do have something that isn't clean I make sure it's not something full of chemicals like low fat ice cream ..i'll have a smaller portion of regular ice cream made from simple ingredients, things like that.

I tend to eat a lot of the same things too and I stick to avoiding processed sugar as much as possible. I only use stevia extract in my coffee.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    I find the calorie difference amazing with clean eating compare these two meals

4 oz Tilapia fillet baked with strips of red and green and orange peppers and onions and lemon
    1/2 C. Light Red Kidney Beans
    1 C. Green Beans
    Salad with Spring Baby Greens and 1 Tbsp feta
    Balsamic Vinegarette

320 calories

-or-

Two slices of Pepperoni Pizza from a Pizza Hut medium pizza

500 Calories

This doesn't even look at the fat and sodium issues! With clean eating you get much more food, and it is better for your body. I have more energy and am happier than ever.
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    I eat this way for the most part 6 days a week. But Saturday nights for supper I eat whatever I want (and throw back some wine too haha) I usually pick pasta or pizza.....I have an Italian heritage and these are things I just cant live without, and I think life is too short not to ever enjoy them! Anyways this method has worked well for me :smile: