Tips on relieving gas/bloating?

Options
I've noticed that lately my body is in pain from gas pressure. One day I had tuna salad for lunch and dinner. Later I was soo gassy and the next morning my back was hurting. That night I couldn't sit or last down and even threw up some peanuts. I went to the store and bought me GasX and it seemed to help a bit but I still felt pressure in my back. I took Ibpro and went to sleep. I woke up today with less pain but it was still there. Took more meds. Does anyone have tips to help relieve gas?

Replies

• Yarrum84
    Yarrum84 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling similar, but not to the extent of getting back pains and throwing up.

Perhaps because we've changed our diets?

I'll look forward to hearing other peoples words of wisdom :D

I've not taken any meds for it. If you start at the bottom right of the belly, push on it, go up to the top, then slide the hand to the left, then down. (directions are as YOU would see it), this is meant to help push the gas and any other things towards the exit.
    Does this make sense??

http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/mag/health/d5754/c128067.html
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I always had the same problem until I cut White flour out of my diet. I still eat carbs just whole grain and now I never get it. The same with indigestion too.:drinker:
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Keep a food and drink diary (hopefully you are as you're on mfp!). Gas is normally created by your body in response to food it can't digest properly. You should be able to work out what food stuff is causing it by noting what you had when it started.

Possible causes are :-
    soda drinks
    vinegar (including pickled items)
    cruciferous vegetables (brocolli,cauliflower,cabbage,brussels sprouts, etc)
    nuts
    lactose (from milk products)

The list goes on and on. Everyone is different so only you will be able to work out what causes it.

I'm affected by all of the items above as well as wheat & msg :ohwell:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Well, if its silent.. wait for someone to scream "Who farted!?" Then reply with "The smeller's the feller!"

If you can't hide it, do the motorcycle.. ya know, where you kick start it, and say something quippy like "I think the plugs fouled."

Good luck on your journey!
  • C_Lopez
    C_Lopez Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good tips! I've heard the hard boil eggs causes gas and I'm thinking that's what started it. I do eat plenty broccoil and water and thats never been a problem before. Hopefully thus passes fast!
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Keep a food and drink diary (hopefully you are as you're on mfp!). Gas is normally created by your body in response to food it can't digest properly. You should be able to work out what food stuff is causing it by noting what you had when it started.

Possible causes are :-
    soda drinks
    vinegar (including pickled items)
    cruciferous vegetables (brocolli,cauliflower,cabbage,brussels sprouts, etc)
    nuts
    lactose (from milk products)

The list goes on and on. Everyone is different so only you will be able to work out what causes it.

I'm affected by all of the items above as well as wheat & msg :ohwell:

All of these are gas producers. I have cut all gluten (wheat, barley, rye, and other grains) out of my diet and it makes a huge difference. Artificial sweeteners can also cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea. The only sweetner I will use now is Stevia as it is a natural plant, not an artificial chemical sweetener.

Make sure you get enough fiber in your diet and maybe add in daily probiotics to help with digestion.
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had this on and off for months last year and it got so bad it was extremely painful too - nothing helped pain in the end and went to doctors to cut a long story short found out i had gall stones and needed my gall bladder removed, i still get a few aches and still having tests but alot better now its removed. I hope it nothing like that for you just something to keep in back of mind if it doesn't go away or gets worse. Good luck xx
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Usually gas is due to a food combining issue:
    The rules are simple!

Eat fruit (raw) on its own without other things, because the sugars ferment in your system. Anything that slows down your body's digestion of fruit will cause gas.
    Never eat carbohydrates with anything but vegetables!
    Meat and protein can be eaten with vegetables.

Realistically speaking, though, most of the time our favorite foods combine two foods that don't sit too well in our stomachs! So, when I feel like cheating the system I will eat Papaya Enzyme after the meal - it's miraculous what it can do for indigestion and prevention! Or chewing on ginger root, or a ginger candy (like from Ginger People, they do a good one).

Good luck!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    In a high-fiber diet you will get gas and bloating. Get a good probiotic, because in becoming regular you also flush out the healthy flora that keep the gas and bloating at bay. Activia is not enough, get a probiotic supplement. You should be getting 3-5 billion CFU (colony forming units) per day. I personally use FloraFood from The Aim Companies, but there are tons out there. Just find one that is natural and not sythetic.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Fart, sorry, it had to be said :) Everybody does it lol
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    chew. Really. 50times per bite. My dr had to tell me too:blushing:
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Well, if its silent.. wait for someone to scream "Who farted!?" Then reply with "The smeller's the feller!"

If you can't hide it, do the motorcycle.. ya know, where you kick start it, and say something quippy like "I think the plugs fouled."

Good luck on your Steve Perry!

Fixed.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    simethicome is your friend.
  • ShelleLP
    Options
    I had the same situation. That is what the OP sounded like to me. If it's ongoing it would be worth getting checked out.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I switched to lactose free skim milk and it helped a lot.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Fart, sorry, it had to be said :) Everybody does it lol

^^^This!!! If you can't do that immediately, you kinda have to get down on all fours and rock back and forth until you do fart...or you'll at least feel some of the pressure go away!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes I had really bad "gas" symptoms exactly like that and it was actually gallbladder attacks. I definitely recommend seeing a doctor to get this checked out.
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Good luck on your journey!

lol koos
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Lie on your back on the floor and raise your legs over your head ..... that def works
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Try Beano with each meals. It's a natural product,.