Birth Control Frustration

Options
I have been on OTC-lo for several years. It works great as far as my mensturation/contraception needs...but I have put on almost ten pounds because of it. I am frustrated and want to get back down to my usual weight...but dieting and exercise is not making the scale budge. I'm not fat or overweight...just annoyed that I can't get back down to what used to be normal for me only a couple years ago.

If anything I'm exercising more and eating healthier than I was back then...not to mention I'm getting older and know my metabolism is slowing down.

Any advice? Similar stories? Help!

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I swear, this exact same thing is happening to me. I know people will post that no medications cause weight gain just increased appetite, but like you I don't have too much to lose, and it's not budging. I am eating healthier than ever, exercise almost every day, but unlike 2 years ago when pounds just fell off, no I'm stuck. Don't have any advice, and not even sure the birth control is the problem, but I feel your pain.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor about your concerns. There are many different things you can take that may not cause weight gain, so maybe you can switch? Hormones do a lot to our bodies, so a doctor may have many good recommendations for you:)
    I had to deal with slight weight gain with Depo-Provera (5-10pnds) within 2 months and it did a lot to shake my confidence. But my obgyn gave me some workout/nutrition advice and that helped to level off weight gain.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    It might be your pill - I can't say since I'm not your doctor.

But in the meantime, be honest with yourself. Does "eating healthier" really mean you're eating fewer calories? If you haven't been counting and you're going based on your memory, you'd be surprised to find how many calories you can pack into "healthy" foods and forgotten trips to McDonald's and Taco Bell. Is your exercise really enough to support a higher calorie diet?

I just see that you're new, you've been on this pill for years, and you don't have that much to lose (which means it's not going to come falling off). Give it some time with the calorie counting and counting your exercise. Eat back most of your exercise calories, and see what happens. Good luck.

If you want more help from the longer-time members here please open your diary.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm a registered dietitian...and a Type I (juvenile) diabetic. I've been eating healthy meaning...here's a typical day.

Breakfast: Flaxseed cereal, 1/4 cup fresh berries, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1/2 cup coffee with 1/2 Tbsp half and half.
    Lunch: Salad made with ~2 cups raw spinach, celeary, carrots, cucumber, garbanzo beans (1/4 cup), boneless skinless chicken breast (4 oz), 1 1/2 Tbs lowfat dressing, a piece of fresh fruit (an apple or banana usually)
    Dinner: (varies) Sometimes a grilled cheese made with whole wheat bread and 2% cheese (1-2 slices averaging 45 calories per slice), 1 tsp butter for making the sandwich and 1/2 can tomato soup made with water, not milk, and steamed spinach with vinegar. (of course dinner varies the most because I'm the cook...I keep it light and we rarely, if ever, eat red meat).

I avoid fast food like the plague and we don't eat out often...
  • MSepp
    Options

But in the meantime, be honest with yourself. Does "eating healthier" really mean you're eating fewer calories? If you haven't been counting and you're going based on your memory, you'd be surprised to find how many calories you can pack into "healthy" foods and forgotten trips to McDonald's and Taco Bell. Is your exercise really enough to support a higher calorie diet?

I just see that you're new, you've been on this pill for years, and you don't have that much to lose (which means it's not going to come falling off). Give it some time with the calorie counting and counting your exercise. Eat back most of your exercise calories, and see what happens. Good luck.

The frustrating part is that I AM in fact coming out below my calorie goals for the day. I've started hitting the gym when they open so I can get my workout in before work. Burning on average 500-600 calories per visit.
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am mainly in the birth control doesn't make you gain weight the food you eat does group but I was put on a new birth control pill a month ago and for some reason it is really messing me up this week. This is my second month on it and I am in the first week of the active pills. I feel slightly nauseous as the day goes on (like right now I feel gross and I need to workout at some point) and my answer to that this week has been to eat. So the scale was not good this morning. I know the stomach bug is going around my work as well but I mean does it really take a week of feeling like crap to start? I am more inclined to blame the pill and I know if I tracked the calories I consumed this week due to feeling gross I would see where the extra weight came from!

I have heard that the shots and other methods do cause weight gain but generally I think the pill doesn't, it just might increase your appetite and you snack more unconsciously.
  • biologic
    Options
    try switching birth control methods.

better yet, see a doctor about it.
  • sunkisses
    Options

The frustrating part is that I AM in fact coming out below my calorie goals for the day. I've started hitting the gym when they open so I can get my workout in before work. Burning on average 500-600 calories per visit.
    How far under on average?
  • MSepp
    Options
    I don't know what it is...my eating habits are usually very consistent because I'm on insulin (juvenile diabetic since I was 15 years old)...I'm not new to the whole counting carbs routine unfortunately.

I've been tracking my intake on this website for a while...most days I come out well below my goal-especially now that I'm working out in the mornings before I get to work.

I am getting married in August...my dress is beautiful and it fits well but...I don't want this to be a goal just for my wedding. I want to be back down to the 130 pounds that I have been literally since I was a sophomore in High School. I mean I maintained that weight for years and years. I'm wearing the same clothes-I didn't go up a size...but...it is still frustrating. Those numbers don't budge. I am sure being frustrated about a few pounds is ridiculous to some people..but to someone who is accustomed to weiging one thing and then (literally) a few months after going on the pill-I put on nearly 10 pounds.
  • MSepp
    Options
    Varies. 40-200 under.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've found weight much easier to lose since I stopped hormonal birth control. I've had a copper IUD for eight months and, while that might not be the best option for you (it can increase bleeding and cramping) perhaps another method of birth control would be better? Even a different pill with different types of synthetic hormones might work better for your body. The lowest possible dose of hormones is the Mirena (the hormonal IUD which can actually eliminate periods), but if an IUD isn't for you, ask your doctor if you can play around with different brands of oral contraceptives (or the patch or the ring).
  • sunkisses
    Options
    Varies. 40-200 under.
    Sounds ok. Just trying to help narrow down the obvious questions people might ask. :smile:
  • MSepp
    Options
    I've found weight much easier to lose since I stopped hormonal birth control. I've had a copper IUD for eight months and, while that might not be the best option for you (it can increase bleeding and cramping) perhaps another method of birth control would be better? Even a different pill with different types of synthetic hormones might work better for your body. The lowest possible dose of hormones is the Mirena (the hormonal IUD which can actually eliminate periods), but if an IUD isn't for you, ask your doctor if you can play around with different brands of oral contraceptives (or the patch or the ring).

I actually had thought about the IUD. I'm afraid of it hurting (I know that sounds silly). I already have HORRIBLE cramps and bleeding (though much improved since I started the pill-which is actually why I started it in the first place, to regulate my periods) but the weight really bothers me. Have you been happy with the IUD so far? I actually had a friend who said she hated it...but I know others that swear by it.
  • MSepp
    Options
    Varies. 40-200 under.
    Sounds ok. Just trying to help narrow down the obvious questions people might ask. :smile:

Well and I know a lot of people who think they're eating healthy because they're eating lots of fruit, granola, healthy choice dinners, rice (don't get me started), and the like...I honestly am eating so much better than I was when I actually weighed 130 lbs...that's what's so frustrating. Maybe getting off the hormones will help.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I actually had thought about the IUD. I'm afraid of it hurting (I know that sounds silly). I already have HORRIBLE cramps and bleeding (though much improved since I started the pill-which is actually why I started it in the first place, to regulate my periods) but the weight really bothers me. Have you been happy with the IUD so far? I actually had a friend who said she hated it...but I know others that swear by it.

It has been the best decision I've ever made for my reproductive health (and mental health for that matter). Yes my periods are heavier and a little longer, and the cramps are sharper (but less frequent) but I have a sex drive again, I'm able to lose weight and I'm no depressed any more. I highly recommend http://iud-divas.livejournal.com/ I've been a member since I started thinking about an IUD and they were instrumental in helping me make my decision.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Birth control makes me gain a ton of weight. Also makes me pretty much psychotic [crying over cereal...not normal!] After 2 attempts at birth control I will never get on the stuff again.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about switching your prescription. I specifically asked not to be put on OTC-lo because I needed help managing my cramps, and my family friend who works at Planned Parenthood told me most of her patients didn't have much luck with it for cramp management purposes.
  • MSepp
    Options
    Birth control makes me gain a ton of weight. Also makes me pretty much psychotic [crying over cereal...not normal!] After 2 attempts at birth control I will never get on the stuff again.

It is funny that you say that. Yesterday was my day before-and I cried like three times. Over stupid nothings. People are probably thinking I am a basket case.
  • African_Goddess
    Options
    well for me I found that the ortha patch works well for me im losing and im keeping it off.
  • MSepp
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about switching your prescription. I specifically asked not to be put on OTC-lo because I needed help managing my cramps, and my family friend who works at Planned Parenthood told me most of her patients didn't have much luck with it for cramp management purposes.

I am plagued with horrible cramps too-but I did find ONE thing that helps. Take Advil liquid gels. I take three and it knocks them out. I usually don't have to take more for quite a while after I do that. It usually knocks them out for the whole day-I don't know how bad yours are though.