what to do with cottage cheese?

Options
mrskesler
mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
I usually just eat it by itself, but I'd love to spice it up. I'm not a great cook, so I never know what to do! Ideas are much appreciated!

Replies

• Christine42012
    Options
    I put fruit in it like pineapples or peaches. Put it on salad, baked potatoes. Eat it with pepper on it. Use it as a veggie dip. Put it on pasta with Italian seasonings. Put some in scrambled eggs for extra creaminess. I can go on and on! I LOVE cottage cheese. But I don't each much anymore because I can go crazy with the stuff :)
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I like to mix salsa in with mine. Or sometimes I put it on a baked potato with butter and chives if we are out of sour cream.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    ive used it to make protein "bars", mac and cheese, smoothies, in place of ricotta in lasagna.. i really like it plain, or with fresh fruit or home made jam...sometimes ill put some black pepper and it. when i was in high school id get tater tots, top them with cottage cheese, black pepper, and cherry tomatoes.
  • 23Brandy
    23Brandy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Add some drained canned petite diced tomatoes and pepper.
  • romesbabe
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. My mom gave me a great idea yrs. ago. I put cucumbers and onion in it along with a sprinkle of sugar and salt and pepper. and when tomatoes are in season i add chopped tomatoes to this as well.
  • jktjcca
    jktjcca Posts: 62
    Options
    I love mine with franks red hot sauce, and a side of veggie straws!
  • sherrycrelling
    Options
    hi, the way i usually eat cottege cheese is i dice up tomatoes in a bowl with cottege cheese add salt mix and mmmmmmmm. good luck:smooched:
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fruit. I mix mine with those dole fruit cups in their own juice. I usually use the mandarin oranges and drain all the juice out then mix with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Love it with pineapple too.
  • MY dinner = 1 pound of cottage cheese with a little bit of splenda on the top and salted pistachios :) it works great
  • sherrycrelling
    Options
    hi, arent franks a no no when losing weight?
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    With dinner, or as a dessert, I usually eat one cup of cottage cheese with a cup or so of blackberries. Blueberries, strawberries--any berries are good.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

Nothing's a no no for me. I prefer my franks all beef and Kosher. I don't have them often but I do love me a good chili cheese dog now and then!
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

Oh, and Frank's Red Hot is a hot sauce they sell in the states. It is nice on hot wings. :0)
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese.

This.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I like to rinse and drain it, smash it up to use as ricotta, add low fat cheese, mix with egg white, drained spinach, and spices. Wrap in grape leaves or cabbage and bake. Top with a little marinara, and it makes a great alternative to stuffed shells. You can also use won-ton wrappers and boil and it is a healthier alternative than ravioli. Sometimes I will add low-fat meat or Morning Star vegetarian meat crumbles too.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    1/2 c. egg whites
    1/2 c. fat free cottage cheese
    1/2 c. old fashioned oats
    1 TBSP honey
    1 tsp grated lemon peel
    1/8 tsp baking powder
    1/2 c. frozen blueberries

Blend all but blueberries until smooth. Then stir in blueberries. Makes six blueberry lemon pancakes. Serve with fresh blueberries, strawberries, or syrup of your choice. :)

It's also really good blended into a protein shake.

http://www.dashingdish.com/2010/03/i-cant-believe-its-not-a-milkshake/
  • LastChanceForMe
    Options
    Make pancakes or waffle with it. In the recipes from South Beach Diet, you'll find the recipe for it. It is very good and you'll never think it had cottage cheese in it!!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options

I think they were referring to hot sauce:) but, no.................I eat Ball park fat free franks with a tbls of canned beanless chili and mustard on a slice of 35 calorie bread..........................Oh my goodness yum!
  • MelissaWI
    MelissaWI Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i eat fat free cottage cheese in my salads in substitute for dressing :)