Who wants to offer some constructive...

Options
13»

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    you seem to like cheese alot.. and high fat content meats .. i love burgers and they were a part of my downfall with my weight. i do not eat beef burgers any longer. i eat ground turkey breast burgers. you have to season them though because they have virtually no flavor otherwise but they are wayyyy more healhier, lower in calories and extremely low in fat. i get the 99% fat free kind. i also eat whole grain breads. white breads are useless so far as im concerned. when i eat i think to myself -- how will this benefit me nutritious wise?

try and apple or other piece of fruit instead of cheese or crackers for a snack. drink a ton of water..i drink a gallon a day . it helps big time.

if you are going to eat cheese on your food use the shredded cheese. you wont put as much on.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Also, I rarely ever go over on fat, so I'm not worried about switching from whole milk--it has vitamins and calcium, which I desperately need for my heartburn. I'm set on this one--not giving it up! :laugh:
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It really depends what your goals are and your current weight and height. I'd recommend you figure out your TDEE. If you're interested in figuring out how to do that I can link a post I made a couple of months ago in which one of the really knowledgable guys on here, Sidesteal, gave me a great link to a sticky on bodybuilding.com.

Once you have that figure you can determine how many calories to consume daily. It'll also help you figure out your ratios for protein and fat, the two most important macronutrients to set of the three. Carbs should be whatever's left over. For example, I have 1g of protein for each lb of lean body mass which for me is 110, given that I weigh 145 and my body fat percentage is 24%. My ratios are 35% fat, 35% protein and 30% carbs. Overall, your diary looks pretty good, but again, to assess it properly it really helps to know what your goals are.

Well apparently my calories are set very high? I weigh like 285, and that is just what MFP set it at. My BMR was calculated to be 2,035 or something. Should it be lower? I usually eat pretty low, around 12 to 1400, but I've been at a standstill and thought I may not have been eating enough. I would very much like that link, though, thank you! xo

Here is the link:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Use the Katch-McArdle method for determing your BMR, although the BMR you have sounds about right. Then you're going to want to multiply it by your activity factor (in the link), that'll give you your TEE. Then depending what your weight loss goals are, you'll want to subtract 10-20% as your deficit. eg. if my TEE was 2,000 and I wanted to lose weight at 20% deficit I'd subtract 400 calories for a daily calorie intake of 1600, then eat back your exercise calories.

Once you've done this, set up your macronutrients as follows:

1g/lb lean mass in Protein
    .35g/lb bodyweight in FAT

The above two targets are MINIMUMS.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I'd hypothesize that your BMR is somewhere between 2000-2100. Try maintaining a modest 300-400 calorie deficit and hitting a caloric intake level of 1600-1700 daily.

Edit: You beat me to the punch :)

Haha, it is, you are correct! :) However I've been eating that or a little less and it's not been working.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Are you working out? My weight loss stalled because my body said "I'm done losing until you get off your *kitten*". Now I work out by at least going for a walk nearly every day and it started again. I didn't see any exercise logged, so rather than drastically upping your calories with no movement, try upping with a 30-minute walk every day.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Are you working out? My weight loss stalled because my body said "I'm done losing until you get off your *kitten*". Now I work out by at least going for a walk nearly every day and it started again. I didn't see any exercise logged, so rather than drastically upping your calories with no movement, try upping with a 30-minute walk every day.

I do more often than I log it :) I need to at least a couple more days a week though--for me it's been about 3 days a week, but at my weight perhaps I should do a little more.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    you said to give the constructive criticism and i mentioned too much fat ..you said you hardly go over the fat allotment.. i just counted five over in the last 9 days..wayyy too much fat in the food and not good fat either .. just like there are good carbs and bad carbs, there are also good fats and bad fats .. really try hard to eat less beef and cheese and more chicken, turkey, fish and maybe greek yogurt or something for dairy..whole milk isnt really good for you and 1% or skim just has less fat not less nutrients. give it a try and you will see a huge difference cutting back on that stuff.. have turkey bacon instead of pork bacon .

hope this helps
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Well apparently my calories are set very high? I weigh like 285, and that is just what MFP set it at. My BMR was calculated to be 2,035 or something. Should it be lower? I usually eat pretty low, around 12 to 1400, but I've been at a standstill and thought I may not have been eating enough. I would very much like that link, though, thank you! xo

I was speculating, so don't pay any attention - just checking. If you've used MFP to set that's fine.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

I was speculating, so don't pay any attention - just checking. If you've used MFP to set that's fine.

I wasn't trying to argue if that's how it seems--I was just wondering because the general consensus seemed to be my calories were too high. But they aren't :)
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I buy the Kroger brand and it's not bad at all $2.95 for a carton. I don't like the unsweetened unless it's "in" something though, so I buy the regular :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I buy the Kroger brand and it's not bad at all $2.95 for a carton. I don't like the unsweetened unless it's "in" something though, so I buy the regular :)

I buy all three varieties...vanilla, unsweetened, and chocolate. I let my daughter drink the chocolate because that was the only comprimise we could come to for going off milk. I drink the vanilla when I want to drink milk but I rarely ever drink it, I usually use it in smoothies so I use the unsweetened. I like the Almond milk because it doesn't go bad as quickly as dairy, and it has "good" fat instead of the fat of milk that is not processed by the body
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a role model when it comes to good eating, but I looked back to the first of the month, and it seemed there were a lot of skipped breakfasts and things for breakfast and lunch that sound a lot more like snacks than meals, like crackers. So that would be my advice... try to focus on getting more bang for your buck in your first two meals of the day. I typically get about half my daily calories from my dinner and evening snack, so I'm not going to fault you on that, but I would try to get your breakfasts and lunches a little more well-rounded. If it's a matter of no time, frozen dinners (Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, Smart Ones) aren't all bad. Some are high sodium, but just read the labels first.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're all over the place as far as macros... today you had 80g of protein at dinner but a tiny tiny meal for breakfast, and then opposite yesterday and the day before. I would just suggest trying to even it out a little bit. If you're having problems getting really hungry and then eating a very big meal because of it (that's what today looks like), evening out how much protein you get (say, aim for 30g per meal/snack), you won't have to worry about eating a lot of calories at one time and possibly going over. What you're eating looks pretty decent. More veggies is always good. Start with veggies you really like... easy ones for me are sauteeing spinach into rice bowls or pasta dishes, spinach leaves on sandwiches & grill them to make paninis (makes it more fun or like you're eating out - that's why I love paninis! haha), bell pepper and onion in fajitas or on sandwiches, onions and garlic with ANYTHING, but especially ground meats, broccoli and peas are super easy to add in pasta dishes without altering the flavor too badly ...
  • Portion control, more fruits and veggies, and you may want to consider lower caloric intake.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Here you go. This is one of the TDEE calculators that I use:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Thanks. Mine was 2,533. That doesn't mean I should eat that much every day, does it, 'cause I just don't know if I can :laugh:

No. You want to create a deficit off the 2533. I would try and stay around 2000 NET calories for a month or so and see what happens. That would make a 500 calorie deficit. And you want to focus on NET calories, NOT total calories.

Net calories are your total calories - any exercise you do.

So, if you consume 2000 calories - 400 calories burned working out = 1600 net calories. You'll want to eat back a good chunk of the 400 calories you burned. So, 2000 - 400 = 1600 + 400 = 2000. Now, your total calories will say 2400 since you DID consume 2400 calories, but you burned off 400 in exercise. So, your NET is 2000.
  • neonshock
    neonshock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started about the same weight as you and I was on ALOT less calories, like maybe 1600 a day. I would say you are eating too much cheese also. I was advised not to eat more than 25g a day.
  • Katetmay
    Katetmay Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try having protein, grain and fruit/veggie at every meal. Then for a snack aim for a protein and either a grain or veggie/fruit. I got the advice from my nutritionist and found I stay fuller longer and have more energy.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I started about the same weight as you and I was on ALOT less calories, like maybe 1600 a day. I would say you are eating too much cheese also. I was advised not to eat more than 25g a day.

Okay, but how old were you? How tall? Obviously eating that little is not helping, so perhaps I should eat a little more. And I had a lot of cheese today, yes, but I don't eat a lot of cheese on average.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I'm not exactly a role model when it comes to good eating, but I looked back to the first of the month, and it seemed there were a lot of skipped breakfasts and things for breakfast and lunch that sound a lot more like snacks than meals, like crackers. So that would be my advice... try to focus on getting more bang for your buck in your first two meals of the day. I typically get about half my daily calories from my dinner and evening snack, so I'm not going to fault you on that, but I would try to get your breakfasts and lunches a little more well-rounded. If it's a matter of no time, frozen dinners (Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, Smart Ones) aren't all bad. Some are high sodium, but just read the labels first.

It is a matter of time, but not that I'm pressed for it. I live with my fiance and his father. I get up at 11(which I'm trying to do earlier, bit I have some anxiety issues that need to be sorted first so I can actually stay awake) and (shame on me) usually don't have breakfast. Then I have lunch at 1 or so, and his father gets home at 3. He also goes to bed at 8, so heaven forbid we eat later than 3. He also doesn't like us to cook while hes sleeping, fair enough, and throws a fit if there are more dishes than when he went to sleep. So there isn't much option there besides shacks that require nocooking and little to no dishes. I think ill start getting up earlier though.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

Okay, but how old were you? How tall? Obviously eating that little is not helping, so perhaps I should eat a little more. And I had a lot of cheese today, yes, but I don't eat a lot of cheese on average.

I retract the last statement :laugh: