What do you do if you can't make it to the gym?

Options
I've been so busy with school and work i've had no time to workout. What do you do when you're super busy but need to workout?

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Tough one. Usually if I'm too busy to go it's because I've had a dance rehearsal so I'm ok ish.

In theory, on busy days I set my alarm for an hour earlier than usual and go for a run. In practice ... I hit snooze 6 times until I really have to get up and then curse my lack of exercise for the day! :p

In reality though, if you're that busy then you're probably being much more active than you normally would be or than the average person is and therefore the odd day out of the gym won't hurt you.

I'm a teacher and, although I try to go to the gym 7 days a week in school holidays, I'm lucky if it's 4 days a week during the term.
  • _xoxok
    _xoxok Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Have you tried workout dvds?
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    dvd it cuts the drive down, saves time right there. All you have to do is push play.. Id get a stepper and do that, it brings the heart rate up and it is fun.. Get some cathe Friedrich ones she is awesome
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i either do dvds at home on cardio days, or i use my weight bench in my garage on lifting days.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is why I work out at home! It is much quicker and I don't have to waste any time driving to and from the gym! I love it!! Being a teacher and getting my masters too keeps me busy, but I make sure it happens!! I just use at home workout programs :)
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i do zumba for xbox kinect, i run on my treadmill, i have workout dvds. i find that by cutting out the travel time by doing it at home it frees me up for a good workout.
  • FierceFitBeautiful
    Options
    Do something quick & easy before you hop into bed... that's what I do :) 30 squats, 30 lunges, 30 crunches, 30 pushups, repeat one more time, then sleep tight :) Def not a calorie torcher but it's better than nothing and will help tone you up in the long run!
  • shortandfeisty
    Options
    I do Wii fitness or my EA sports for the Wii to at least get some calories burned!! I actually kind of like the variety.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    DVD's; internet or TV channel workouts. Go for a walk after dinner, take the stairs or park further out.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym - I run, walk (often i'll walk for 30 or 40 mins to the bus stop instead of the close one 5 mins away), or work out at home. There are lots of free workout apps available if you have a smartphone, you can do a couple of 10 min workouts during the day and get some time in that way.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    DVDs. there are lots that are 20 minutes long and there is a whole series called 10 minute solutions. It's a 10 minute workout. surely you have 10 minutes before taking a shower and going to bed maybe.
  • stickleback1
    Options
    There's a Nike Training app that i've found really good when I can't make the gym - most of the workouts don't require any equipment and cater for varied fitness levels from beginner through to advanced. I've used this at work a couple of times at nightshift on my breaks (my job can be pretty dull at times!) and you can do most of them in around 30mins.
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I never go to the gym workout at home saves time and I can do it at my convenience...no waiting on machines either!! Get some DVD's & workout when you can make the time. I have 3 Jazzercise DVD's that have various time workouts - 20, 30 & 60 minutes depending on how much time I have.
  • annabelle2334
    annabelle2334 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do Jilian Michael's 30 day shred videos when I can't make it to the gym. It's short, and it I think it's a good work out!
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Before or after I have a nervous breakdown? srs.. I just make it up the next time.
  • silvabelle89
    Options
    Yoga or a quick run outside. Workout DVDs have helped as well.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    Do bodyweight circuit training..i'm assuming you have no weights at home, othewise definitely incorporate DB's or BB's into the mix. Do things, like 1 minute running up and down your stairs...1 minute squats,.....1 minute abs......1 minute bicep.....1 minute pushups...1 minute lunges...you get the idea, and do the circuit as many rounds as you have time.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Busy schedules happen. if it's one day, I just work a little harder the next .. if it's a pattern, I MAKE time.
  • resamejia
    Options
    20BURPEES, 20lunges, 20squats,20 abs, 20pushups, REPEAT.
  • klkoehn
    klkoehn Posts: 10
    Options
    jump rope alternating with other cardio such as jumping jacks, etc. or kettelbell at home. Kettelbell is super efficient calorie-burner and doesn't take a lot of space!