Working out while sick

Options
So, I'm feeling a little under the weather but don't want my workout program to suffer. I've read recently that it's ok to work out if you have a cold (i.e. stuffiness, mild headache), but not if it's anything more than that (i.e. achiness, chills, nausea). Thoughts? Opinions?

Replies

• sezz_25
    sezz_25 Posts: 75
    Options
    HI! I have read that too. In my case, whenever I feel under the weather and most especially headaches, I just do mild exercises like walking or slow jogging. I actually feel a lot better after.

As they say, just listen to your body. One or two days of rest would be better than getting really sick.

Good luck!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you illness is above the neck, do your workout. If it's below your neck, ie in your chest, then rest.

Only do what you think you are capable of doing.

ETA: I hope you feel better soon.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Please remember that if you might be contagious you should not go to the gym to workout.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If it's in your chest, no. If it's in your head, yes. If it's something like the flu, PLEASE stay home. Also, either way, please wipe down your machines afterwards.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    If it's in your chest, no. If it's in your head, yes. If it's something like the flu, PLEASE stay home. Also, either way, please wipe down your machines afterwards.

Whether or not you are sick, please wipe your machines down.
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options
    I just had a mild cold for the past 2 days. I didn't do my workout. The way I figure it is, my body is already working hard enough to get rid of whatever bug I have, why make it work more when it doesn't have to? I guess it really depends on how you feel, but considering I could barely walk around my hair because I was so tired and felt blah, I just figured to take it easy.
  • taylorbrown1792
    taylorbrown1792 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I dont even try it
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I was achey and gross yesterday and took the day off. I actually felt sick the day before that and toughed it out but I felt my form sucked azz. I'd take the day off. It really sucks to take the day off but I figure, better take one day off rather than try and work out and mess something off and then HAVE to take at least a week off.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, some people say if you get a good sweaty workout in right when you start getting sick that helps you not get sick or as sick. I haven't personally tried that. That said, I recently became unemployed. I woke up sick one of my first days off feeling terribly sick. I literally did NOTHING all day long, just laying around and getting a little nap here and there and I was absolutely better the next day! It was awesome. Generally when I was working and actually stayed home sick with the intentions of resting I would end up doing stuff around the house all day since I actually had "time" to do it. I would be sick for a week. Rest is good!