Hip muscle clicking/flicking?

Options
For about the last week every time I seem to walk, my right hip seems to "click". Well, it feels more like a "thunk", but whatever. I'd get it off and on before, like it'd show up for a little bit during the day then disappear or weeks or months and I'd think nothing of it. But now I've had it happening for at least a week, and it's really distracting and I can't get into a groove to walk or run on the treadmill for long periods of time like I was before.

I thought it may have been because I was increasing the incline to help push myself, but I was using the incline for at least half a week before it showed up. I quit using the incline last night and I'm going to see if that helps, but it's still there. I've also put insoles back into one of my shoes, since one leg is shorter than the other enough that I have some other, hopefully unrelated, leg issues (just a tighter hamstring on the not-bothering-me-right-now leg and some bursitis that sometimes flares up).

I've read that unless it causes pain I don't really have to go to the doctor, and I have 0 pain. But it's starting to get aggravating and kind of worrying now. Mostly I'm just looking to hear if other people have this issue and how they've helped "solve" it, for lack of a better term. Or if I should go to a doc ASAP anyways (I was going to bring it up at a future appt).

Thanks for your time. :)

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I have congenital hemihypertrophy - one side of my body larger than the other - and my leg length difference is fairly significant. I had never used a lift for my whole life, but when I started running this year, after a few months then my hip started to act up. For the past few years, if I do leg lifts/bicycles/that sort of exercise, then my hip would click and hurt, and I have to modify those types of activities, but I did not previously have any trouble with it bothering while walking or running.

Long story short, I did see a physiotherapist, get gait assessment, and see an orthotics doctor for a lift. I worked my way up to walking with the lift all day, then to running with it, and today had my first long run with it Since I started using it, no clicking hip, no hip pain after running. It will still click when I do leg lifts, but oh well!

My PT did give me some hip strengthening exercises, but they actually aggravated it more. He suggested more core work, pilates, that kind of thing.

Oh, and it is the longer leg that I have problems with the hip on, I don't know if this is the case for you.

Pam
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I have congenital hemihypertrophy - one side of my body larger than the other - and my leg length difference is fairly significant. I had never used a lift for my whole life, but when I started running this year, after a few months then my hip started to act up. For the past few years, if I do leg lifts/bicycles/that sort of exercise, then my hip would click and hurt, and I have to modify those types of activities, but I did not previously have any trouble with it bothering while walking or running.

Long story short, I did see a physiotherapist, get gait assessment, and see an orthotics doctor for a lift. I worked my way up to walking with the lift all day, then to running with it, and today had my first long run with it Since I started using it, no clicking hip, no hip pain after running. It will still click when I do leg lifts, but oh well!

My PT did give me some hip strengthening exercises, but they actually aggravated it more. He suggested more core work, pilates, that kind of thing.

Oh, and it is the longer leg that I have problems with the hip on, I don't know if this is the case for you.

Pam

I saw a physio as well, but that was for my bursitis. After some meds and exercises I was basically told to wear an insole in the shoe for the shorter leg that was cut just beyond the heel to help lift it up. I haven't been very faithful in wearing it though, only because I haven't had many issues. This is definitely a new thing, though.

And yeah, the hip clicking is exclusively on my longer leg. However, I haven't had any pain associated with it, which makes me wonder why the hell it's doing it. Lol.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Wear the insole!

Pam