does eating protein cause horrible gas?

I am just wondering if something is wrong i have added alot of protein to my diet and i have not done this before but, I usualy have soem gas issues anyway because i eat alot of salad... But today exspecaily!!! I mean sorry if it is TMI but i am really bad right now.. My husband is running out the room it is so bad, and my kids to.. :( I cant stop it huts to hold it in...

and who else can i ask? Is it embarrassing to say? of course... I know everyone may think im joking but hey you dont know me so I dont feel to gross asking.. Im just having issues right now.. like im not just saying one or two little ones, they are like in 10 minutes 10 gas bubbles.. lol im so embarrassed... HELP could it be protein or should i go get checked out by a doctor?

Replies

• LOL... I'm having the same problem today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    No. Increasing fiber intake too quickly causes gas. (say, your whole day's fiber is in one meal versus spread throughout the day - or consistently eating 30g of fiber per day when before, you were eating less than half that amount consistently).
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    It's just gas. Could be caused by anything. No need to see a doctor -- just get some GasX and don't worry about it.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    I don't pretend to have a sensible, scientific answer to your question, but meat definitely makes me parp.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    lmbo im sorry you all lol but it is kinda weird i think im th e only female with the problem in the first place sometimes.. I mean even my hubby wont poot in front of me and that is all i do it seems.. lol and today is just been extreame... i was wonding if it was my age even. lol. I guess it may be fiber, i have been drinking alot of shakes with fiber or peanut butter and salads, i did have roast yesterday with carrots and potaotes lol
  • My wife jokes that I get gas just from breathing.

I have noticed any change in my diet can cause more gas than normal. Sure, extra fiber certainly is a culprit, but a lot of meat or a few eggs for breakfast, both high protein items, will do it to.

The good news is your body will (probably) adjust to the change in diet over time. Until them, issue gas masks for the family!
  • Edithrenee
    well at least i may have made some people get a good laugh!! Cheers!! lol
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    I get gas from protein shakes, as do the 2 other guys I know who have them.
  • Edithrenee
    My wife jokes that I get gas just from breathing.

I have noticed any change in my diet can cause more gas than normal. Sure, extra fiber certainly is a culprit, but a lot of meat or a few eggs for breakfast, both high protein items, will do it to.

The good news is your body will (probably) adjust to the change in diet over time. Until them, issue gas masks for the family!

Hey! i did have alot of eggs this week... :) I was in the military to i should have gotten a few gas masks lol
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    If you take charcoal tablets after you eat it will stop it from smelling so bad.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    I would guess Fiber.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    when i first started drinking protein shakes, i got major gas as well, but it goes away (anecdotal).
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    That's the worst, I'd rather eat tofu than booty toot around my hubby. Hope you're feeling better soon.
  • Edithrenee
    That's the worst, I'd rather eat tofu than booty toot around my hubby. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    yes!! thank you exspecialy if he wont do it ever!!! lmbo
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Yes you do get gas mainly because of the lactose if your protein powder is not lactose free. I had this problem for years then I switched to lactose free and now the problem is gone. If you have lactose intolerance then this is the answer.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    It depends on the person. Some people get it from protein and some get it from grains. Whatever you've upped this week is probably the culprit.
  • Allergies to lactose, or soy may be the problem. Examine what new foods your eating, soy turns me into a farting machine I eat about 275g. Of protein a day and gas is never a problem.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    I only notice this if I eat processed roast beef - lunch meat. I can't tell you why.
  • It's the fiber! I had it happen to me too, for about three straight days, it was terrible! My boyfriend was scared. I thought it was funny and took a pepto. My body isnt used to all my new fibery foods.

You should track fiber along with protein on your chart if you aren't already!
  • Too much seafood causes some serious issues - also, I've just had the flu for going on four days now - farts are not to be trusted!