Has anyone tried HCG?

Options
I am undecided if I will try hcg (again) until I found this website. I have NEVER counted calories in my life and my goal was 1200 today and I bombed. Trying to do low carb 30g or less and 1200 but was starving and ate more like 1500 for day #1. Slightly frustrated and thinking that hcg would be easier. Any advice would be so appreciated. I need to lose 20 and soon.

Replies

• megsalla80
    megsalla80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    doing hcg now... you're definitely hungry eating 500 calories. i'm not really sure what the drops do exactly... if u can tough it out for 4 weeks or so then try hcg again.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    yea i totally love drinking pregnant lady pee!
    just a warning - this thread will get locked. they dont allow promotion of unhealthy diets
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    1500 is really not bad. It's quite possible that you could still lose weight at that level. If you have set your profile to 'lose 2 lbs per week' try going in and changing it to 'lose 1 lb per week'. Your daily calorie number will be a little higher and might feel more manageable, and you will not be starving and will still lose weight. OR you can incorporate exercise into your day and log it here on MFP, which allows you to eat a bit more than your normal daily goal. If you exercise and burn off 500 calories, your daily goal gets raised to 1700 for that day - you can choose to eat all, part, or none of those 'extra' calories, it's up to you. Personally I eat most of my 'exercise calories', it helps keep me satisfied with the volume of food I get to eat PLUS I still lose weight at the rate I requested to lose. It may not work exactly that way for everyone, it takes a bit of trial and error, but it is worth a try to see if it works for you. Definitely healthier to exercise and eat a bit more than to eat only 500 calories per day.

Also, please don't take offense at this b/c it is an honest question - if you are starving at 1200 and unable to stick to that, what makes you think HCG and 500 per day is a good idea for you? The HCG topic is actually quite taboo here, it is not really supported by the site administrators b/c it is so controversial. Even the FDA has said that the over-the-counter drops are not effective and do not do anything they claim to do. There are some people here on the site that have done it previously, some are quite happy with their results but others had awful side-effects from the super low calories and gained the weight back. It's not something I would personlly recommend for someone who only has 20 lbs to lose, you can do that with a moderate caloric deficit, with or without exercise.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/345321-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
  • kktigger72
    kktigger72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to the HCG drops? If so, a good friend of mine is using them and she told me she can only have 500 calories a day!!!! In my opinion, as soon as you go back up to regular calories per day and stop the drops you're going to gain all of the weight back. By learning to count your calories and exercising more you will change your lifestyle and it will be something you can stick with!!!! Good luck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    HCG is now illegal (in all but injectible form) and has been proven to be ineffective for weight loss. What causes you to drop weight is the extremely limited calorie intake they put you on, not the drops.

It's really important to remember that you didn't gain weight overnight, so don't expect that you can drop it all and keep it off overnight also.

There are a lot of folks on here who lost a significant amount of weight eating 1500-1600 calories per day (or much more) and doing exercise. They did it, and so can you.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    brb, grabbing some popcorn
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thread gone in 3...2..1
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I never tried it.. But I did read up on it & there is suppose to be a diet to follow with it & the calorie intake is really low.. I know this is hard.. But just set your goals & realize that you have to be realistic with those.. I have over 100 pounds to lose & I know I have a long road to go.. This is a lifestyle change & not a diet.. I just joined MFP a week ago & I love it.. Logging the food really helps me to keep on track. HCG might help some people.. But I always think of that stuff as a quick fix to a longterm problem.. To each his own I guess.. Just take it day by day... Some days are better than others.. There are a lot of nice people on here & some are very supportive.. That helps me alot.. I had a bad day yesterday & I made it thru without cheating once... That was a major feat for me.. So good luck & I hope you reach your goals...
  • mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Take your time. I think 1200, which is borderline starvation is probably too low. Kick it to 1400 and allow yourself time to get your body used to it. I let the site set my goals in all categories except cholesterol which I over rode because of my health problems.
  • arykh4778
    arykh4778 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I agree HCG is really not the natural way to go. I really want to lose 2-3lbs a week but need some advice as to WHAT diet to actually do. Weight watchers doesn't work for me since I tend to eat all my points in not so great things. I guess I will stick this out for a full week and see if I can get some results. Let me know what works best for you all. Thanks for the advice, God knows it need it...ha.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Im surprised its still here....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The HCG diet itself is dangerous. 500 Calories a day cannot be maintained to a human without there being a massive detriment of energy within your body.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I agree HCG is really not the natural way to go. I really want to lose 2-3lbs a week but need some advice as to WHAT diet to actually do. Weight watchers doesn't work for me since I tend to eat all my points in not so great things. I guess I will stick this out for a full week and see if I can get some results. Let me know what works best for you all. Thanks for the advice, God knows it need it...ha.

2-3 lbs per week is unrealistic, quite frankly.

You're better off learning to be less aggressive with your diet ambitions and go for 1-1.5 lbs per week.
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to the HCG drops? If so, a good friend of mine is using them and she told me she can only have 500 calories a day!!!! In my opinion, as soon as you go back up to regular calories per day and stop the drops you're going to gain all of the weight back. By learning to count your calories and exercising more you will change your lifestyle and it will be something you can stick with!!!! Good luck!

Totally agree with this. Make a lifestyle change, don't take a pill.
  • NZGYMCHICK
    Options
    I'm doing it. I've done it before. It's fine and it works. I'm never hungry. 2 meat/protein serves per day plus vegetables and strawberries and an apple, tea and coffee... It is especially nice if you are gluten free and don't eat breads, pastas, etc. There are soooo many hidden calories in sauces and sweets. I eat very healthily but of course it is not for everyone. As soon as I cut out all sweets and alcohol everything got easier. I have a weakness for cheese/dairy products so that in moderation. But there's nothing wrong with something that will help "kick start" your weight loss. 4.5 kg (10 lbs) in two weeks... and the next 10 kg (22lbs) I plan to take off a bit slower but I will be at my goal by mid-March. : )
  • jessicagrimwood
    Options
    My aunt, cousin and mom did it and lost weight but another one of my aunts was doing it and it made her liver enzymes go up...not good.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    If you cant stick too 1200 how are you going to stick to 500?
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    brb, grabbing some popcorn
    I'm with you
  • skirtinthedirt
    skirtinthedirt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it but......

Are you exercising as well as dieting? Are you able to exercise? If you really want to lose a bunch of weight and keep it off and not yoyo around based on food intake incorporating exercise into your plan is really the only way to do it.

Also, if you have a good exercise plan in place, you don't have to agonize over every little calorie, as long as your normal diet is reasonable, which is nice.