Can someone check my numbers please

Options
Yesterday I had a fitness analysis done at the YMCA. While I know these #s are not exact I would like to rely on them somewhat to see if I can get over my 9 month plateau. (Yes I have not lost any weight since May 2008).

Ok so here goes.

My fit analisys calculated my bmr at 1432. So if I use 1432 x 1.2(Harris-Benedict calculation for a sedintary lifestyle) = 1719 calories needed to maintain my current weight. If I subtract 200 calories a day for a deficit then I should consume 1519 calories a day without any exercise. 200 calories per day times 7 days will be a deficit of 1400 calories per week. We know inorder to lose a pound you have to have a deficit of 3500 calories between calorie consumption and exercise.

I generally work out 7 days a week and can burn anywhere from 350 to 600 calories per workout. If I don't eat every single exercise calorie to create the balance of the 3500 deficeit (2100 calories) in theory this should jump start my weight loss again if I wanted to lose a pound per week. Right? ( I know I have to eat some exercise calories but I just won't eat them all back)

I do think I am not eating enough but I don't know where to start to calculate where I should be. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a fitness analysis done at the YMCA. While I know these #s are not exact I would like to rely on them somewhat to see if I can get over my 9 month plateau. (Yes I have not lost any weight since May 2008).

Ok so here goes.

My fit analisys calculated my bmr at 1432. So if I use 1432 x 1.2(Harris-Benedict calculation for a sedintary lifestyle) = 1719 calories needed to maintain my current weight. If I subtract 200 calories a day for a deficit then I should consume 1519 calories a day without any exercise. 200 calories per day times 7 days will be a deficit of 1400 calories per week. We know inorder to lose a pound you have to have a deficit of 3500 calories between calorie consumption and exercise.

I generally work out 7 days a week and can burn anywhere from 350 to 600 calories per workout. If I don't eat every single exercise calorie to create the balance of the 3500 deficeit (2100 calories) in theory this should jump start my weight loss again if I wanted to lose a pound per week. Right? ( I know I have to eat some exercise calories but I just won't eat them all back)

I do think I am not eating enough but I don't know where to start to calculate where I should be. Any help would be appreciated.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Increase your workout intensity and routine often and play with the excercise calories a bit...you dont have to eat all of them back ....I would experiment and give each new thing you try at least 2 weeks to see any changes .... ..considering your already on a 1500 calorie diet..... If you feel hungry a lot of times its all in adjusting the foods you eat ....shoot for high fiber content and low sodium...did you ask your Doc or YMCA about eating back what you worked off?:drinker:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Theoretically yes, it would, except for the fact that creating a larger deficit by not eating your exercise calories is only safe if you are already eating a sufficient amount. if you eat 1500 and then burn 600 that leaves 900 cals. not good. Aim to have at least 1200 left over for your body to run on.
  • gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    wait.
    i think the harris benedict formula is 1.55 for 'modertely active' which means working out moderate/hard 4-5 times a week.
    wouldn't this be you? then you subtract 500 cals but don't add exercise cals, cos theyre already factored in, if u know what i mean.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    It looks like too many calories to me. My calorie limit is 1300 calories per day, not adding exercise calories. So if I don't exercise, then I can't go over that number, but i do eat my exercise calories. I would trust this website's numbers when you set up your profile and goals. My BMR is 1343. Do you see the numbers difference.? Your limit should be less than you r BMR without exercise cals. Understand?
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    A few things to consider...just my opinion and what works for me.

Let's assume that the calculated BMR of 1432 cals is correct plus lifestyle = 1719 per day

Deduct 500 for your caloric deficit (1 lb per week) = 1219 cals before exercise

Add in your exercise cals, say 450 per day = 1669 per day with exercise.

However...you need to be very sure of exercise cals, no guesstimates. A heart rate monitor would help. Rather than trying to micromanage every calorie, do an average over a week or two, then run the numbers to see if is working.

What kinds of workouts are you doing? Are they of sufficient intensity? If your approach has not been working, its time to rethink it. Try something new, get out of your comfort zone. Variety is the spice of life, and just might spice up your weight loss!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Some clarification.

I do have a hrm monitor so I do get my exercise calories from that. I wasn't planning on NOT eating my exercise, I was just planning on not eating all of them but eating some of them.

Currently I am eating 1330 without any exercise calories but I do try to eat all my exercise calories right now.

My current lifestyle is sedentary because I work as a secretary.