Simple math ")

Options
2»

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This is incorrect. Several small meals is fine, but you can eat 2 or 3 regular meals, or even 1 big meal, and have the same effect. Total calories is what matters, not small constant meals. It's simple math.
    Several small meals work for me, keeps me from getting over hungry
    Well, that's just super for you then. Don't put it out there like it's the answer for everyone. As I said, there's nothing wrong with eating several small meals, but there's no metabolic advantage either. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it's true for everyone, so please stop spreading misinformation.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    When you have 80 pounds to lose - like the original poster - sure, you can use a "somewhere around 1200" goal, eat or don't eat the exercise calories.

As you near your healthy weight range, this becomes a big problem.

There is no such thing as a one-advice-for-all approach. I hope people take your advice (OP) with a grain of salt.

This type of fast "Here's the answer" type posts just make it more confusing for people. There is some good advice on the forums.

This is not an example of that.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I don't know if you noticed, but your original post has been quoted a couple of times, no matter how much you edit it.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Um in her original post she was speaking about herself "I need to..." "keeps my hunger...." she's not telling anyone what to do. Play nice kitty cats.
  • jenslife82
    Options
    Key is to keep feeding your body, small constant meals. I mean, very small.
    Tangerine & 10 almonds and some lean chicken
    Cup of Cottage cheese and an apple.
    Oatmeal with raisins, cup of almond milk.
    This is incorrect. Several small meals is fine, but you can eat 2 or 3 regular meals, or even 1 big meal, and have the same effect. Total calories is what matters, not small constant meals. It's simple math.
    [/quote
    But won't the several smaller meals boost your metabolism?
    No, it doesn't. This is a myth.

my whole weight loss story is related to this. I've been trying to lose weight for about 12 years now. It has taken a lot of research and my (previous) doctor calling me a liar to get to this point. I was roughly 282 lbs maintaining that at 700-900 calories per day. Agreed most people who are overweight lead sedentary lifestyles and take in far too many calories. But "starvation mode" is real and happens when you don't eat enough for your body to burn calories. Also things like cortisol and some other hormones I can't pronounce hold onto fat so it seems like there is nothing you can do. I INCREASED my calories to 1200 and Ina week lost 2 lbs. I have lost 22 lbs since November eating small meals all day keeping between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. The two separate weeks I did not lose was when I maintained less than 1200 a day (ie 1800 one day and feeling like I needed to make up for it with 3 900 calorie days) it really can happen that fast. There is no simple trick to losing weight. You have to figure out what your body needs and stick with it. I just want to say thank you for this post and hopefully it will help more ppl than it offends :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Um in her original post she was speaking about herself "I need to..." "keeps my hunger...." she's not telling anyone what to do. Play nice kitty cats.
    Um in her original post she was speaking about others. She went back and changed it, which you could see if you read the replies where her post was quoted, kitty cat. She absolutely was saying this is what everyone should do.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    She changed the original post - that's not what it said before...
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've noticed. I simply didn't word it correctly. Didn't know there was a witch hunt here.

Still is simple math.

Doesn't matter how much you all tear it apart.

Sorry, I was only trying to help someone in the beginning to see the importance of eating and not feeling totally deprived.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Um in her original post she was speaking about others. She went back and changed it, which you could see if you read the replies where her post was quoted, kitty cat. She absolutely was saying this is what everyone should do.

Meow.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I've noticed. I simply didn't word it correctly. Didn't know there was a witch hunt here.

Still is simple math.

Sorry, I was only trying to help someone in the beginning to see the importance of eating and not feeling totally deprived.

Problem is, you worded it as "Here. This is how you do it." SIMPLE MATH. It is simple math, but if you are putting something out on the internet, and it is either wrong or misinformed, you'd better believe you will get challenged. Not a witch hunt, at all. But, this post is going to be here forever. It is the chance you take when you type and hit "Post Thread."
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

Still is simple math.

This was not about wording something wrong. It was completely false information.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    my whole weight loss story is related to this. I've been trying to lose weight for about 12 years now. It has taken a lot of research and my (previous) doctor calling me a liar to get to this point. I was roughly 282 lbs maintaining that at 700-900 calories per day. Agreed most people who are overweight lead sedentary lifestyles and take in far too many calories. But "starvation mode" is real and happens when you don't eat enough for your body to burn calories. Also things like cortisol and some other hormones I can't pronounce hold onto fat so it seems like there is nothing you can do. I INCREASED my calories to 1200 and Ina week lost 2 lbs. I have lost 22 lbs since November eating small meals all day keeping between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. The two separate weeks I did not lose was when I maintained less than 1200 a day (ie 1800 one day and feeling like I needed to make up for it with 3 900 calorie days) it really can happen that fast. There is no simple trick to losing weight. You have to figure out what your body needs and stick with it. I just want to say thank you for this post and hopefully it will help more ppl than it offends :)

This is what I've experienced. lose 80, gain 70. I've done this 3 times. This finally made since to me.

I've not experienced nothing but positive motivation. That was until I posted something that made so much since to me, finally. Thank you for this post, someone understands. ")