Margerine subitute

Options
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew of something I can use instead of margerine in a recipe.

The recipee is for chicken nuggets..you have to bake them

oringinal recipee:
1/4 cup margerine
worcestershire sauce
salt a ndpepper

chicken
crushed crackers( I making it healthier by using whole wheat)

Replies

• DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hey I was wondering if anyone knew of something I can use instead of margerine in a recipe.

The recipee is for chicken nuggets..you have to bake them

oringinal recipee:
    1/4 cup margerine
    worcestershire sauce
    salt a ndpepper

chicken
    crushed crackers( I making it healthier by using whole wheat)
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    I would skip the butter, and just do a egg wash of the chicken, and then roll them in the crackers. You could add the worcestershire sauce into the egg wash.
  • Starchaser
    Options
    I tend to use butter and avoid margarine whenever I can, but that's down to nutritional value and is for another day!

Why not rub the chicken in olive oil? The coating should still stick plus olive oil is one of the best oils with which you can cook, owing to it's monounsaturated fatty acids and cholesterol reduing properties!
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    I try and stay away from the margarine too because of the trans fats. Smart Balance is good though, and I think it has the lowest amount of trans fats as far as margarine goes. Other than that, I keep a 50/50 mix of oil and butter in a tupperware container in the fridge. No trans fats, 1/2 the saturated fat, and tastes good.