Thick Oats for Breakfast

Options
I'm going to start eating Thick Rolled Oats from our health food store but I was hoping to get suggestions from others as
to how you prepare your oatmeal in the mornings? I'm hoping that it will stick with me, not me super high in calories or fat but healthy at the same time:) I would love ideas. I like a little crunch, bulk, I think I eat strange. lol
For ex. oatmeal with almonds, blueberries and stevia, etc......

Replies

• MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat that every morning, and add splenda and fruit, either bananas, strawberries, or blueberries, but whatever is on sale really. Also, milk. Keeps me full till lunch.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Get a big stock pot and a steamer basket (the clamshell kind).

Get a quart or more of water boiling in the stock pot. Add 1 cup of oats and boil for 5 minutes. There should be enough water that the oats very 'loose'. After the 5 minutes are up, drain the oats into a colander. Put just enough water in the stock pot to fill it about 1/2 to 1" deep. Put in the steamer basket and get the water boiling again. Put the oats on the steamer basket and cover. Steam for another 5 minutes.

You may never eat oats the 'old way' again.

It takes extra time, but they are so delicious - the texture is completely different, not the old 'drywall paste'.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i like canned pumpkin puree, splenda, pumpkin pie spice, and when it done, a dollap of greek yogert.
  • piari
    piari Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just make them the normal way, but I like to add honey to them. Berries also go well!
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Banana-Maple-Walnut Oatmeal

First you make the basic Oatmeal Mix which makes about 4 cups and can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container.

Oatmeal Mix

3 cups quick-cooking oats

1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp nonfat dry milk

2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

Banana-Maple-Walnut Oatmeal - approx 383 calories per serving

1/2 Oatmeal Mix (see recipe above)

1/2 small banana, chopped

1 Tbsp maple syrup (I used 100% pure maple syrup)

1 Tbsp chopped walnuts

1 cup fat-free milk, divided

1) Combine the Oatmeal Mix, banana, syrup, walnuts, and 1/2 cup of the milk in a medium microwaveable bowl.

2) Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and continue to microwave at 30-second intervals until it reaches the desired consistency. (I did 2 30-second intervals for a total of 2 minutes but your microwave may vary and I like mine thick.) Serve with the remaining 1/2 cup milk.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    -Peanut butter and cocoa powder with Stevia
    -Savory, add salt garlic powder and mushrooms (yum!)
    -Raisins and brown sugar (The way my mom made it)
    -Blueberries and stevia with milk (tastes like blueberry pie!)
  • diviana
    diviana Posts: 53
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every morning with a dollop of peanut butter in it. I need something loaded in the morning (i.e. higher in carb and fat), and this fits the bill for me.
  • Munchi8175
    Options
    Cherry-Almond Oatmeal
    Another variation using the same Oatmeal Mix recipe in the prior post:

Oatmeal Mix

2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

Cherry-Almond Oatmeal

1/2 cup Oatmeal Mix
    2 Tbsp dried cherries
    1 1/2 Tbsp slivered almonds
    1 cup fat free milk

1) Combine the Oatmeal mix, cherries, almonds, and 1/2 cup of the milk in a microwaveable bowl.

2) Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and continue to microwave at 30-second intervals until it reaches the desired consistency. (I did 2 30-second intervals for a total of 2 minutes but your microwave may vary and I like mine thick.) Serve with the remaining 1/2 cup milk.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    When I get a sweet tooth and am craving cookies, I will make oatmeal, add a 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter, and a 1/2 Tbsp of chocolate chips. Mix them up together til the chocolate is melted. Less calories than a bunch of cookies!
  • Munchi8175
    Options
    Cranberry-Walnut Oatmeal
    Another variation using the same Oatmeal Mix recipe in the prior post:

Oatmeal Mix

2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

Cranberry-Walnut Oatmeal

1/2 cup Oatmeal Mix
    2 Tbsp dried cranberries
    1 Tbsp chopped walnuts
    1 cup fat free milk

1) Combine the Oatmeal mix, cranberries, walnuts, and 1/2 cup of the milk in a microwaveable bowl.

• yestowellness
    yestowellness Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola with almonds, raisins, and a few other things. It has no added sugar and about 110 calories. If you want the recipe inbox me.
  • kcnjason
    kcnjason Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do any of you put nuts with your oatmeal to some protein????
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Do any of you put nuts with your oatmeal to some protein????
    Nuts are a great source of healthy fats and will help to keep you feeling sated throughout the morning, but they are not a great source of protein.
    If you want protein, add some protein powder, cottage cheese, greek yogurt or cook in 2 egg whites - All tasty options! If you want more info on the above, let me know :smile:

Meag
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal!