I love salt too much!

Options
I cut out sugar last year and switched to stevia and finally last week switched to lite milk which ive hated my whole life so that's a biggy for me....my last vice is salt..I just love the stuff..a steak or piece of chicken isnt the same unless slathered with salt..I just had fried eggs on flaxseed sourdough for lunch and an unhealthy sprinkling of salt.
Im really trying hard and kicking my vices and cutting down and sticking to my cal goal but im sure the salt i consume doesnt help me...I make healthy stirfries and theyre great but again the salt content isnt good.
I was just wandering any hints or alternative things I can use to add flavour or help me wean myself from my salt addicition..and how would the salt be affecting my weight..im assuming by water retention is that right? ( ps im in Australia so any salt alternative has to be able to be bought here) Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• tonymcgurk1
    Options
    I cut out salt from my diet years ago. I stopped cold turkey & everything tasted so bland without it. I persisted & once I got used to I could actually taste the food better rather than mostly the taste of salt. Maybe try cutting down on the amount of salt you use gradually. I've read that there's enough natural salt in our food, especially processed food to not need to add it to our food I'm so used to saltless food that if I have salt now I could & splutter like crazy
  • avk9802
    avk9802 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Salt does make you retain water but if your going to keep using a lot of salt, Try to drink A LOT of water.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Why not use half as much salt on your food then? At least you're not stopping "cold turkey".
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    your tastebuds retrain quickly, give it a week or two and you wont miss it anymore
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash has a wonderful selection of seasonings that I use for flavor. It helps to break the "salt habit" and tastes great.

Mary Ann
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams/view/overcoming-the-obesity-mindset-194711