so down and feeling defeated:(

Options
Ive been walking for exercise since I joined in Oct 2008. Something started going wrong with my knee, probably overuse, but I can't afford a doctor. I started walking 3-4 times a week and even went one whole week without walking. The knee has gotten worse so now, I don't know what I can do to burn the 400 calories:( I know I can lose weight even without exercising but it is way hard for me to eat only 1200 calories. When I exercise I seem to have an easy time not going over. I don't know. Just really felt so good about things. I live way out in the country so I can't go into swim and I don't have a bicycle, which might be just as hard on my knee.

denise

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Ive been walking for exercise since I joined in Oct 2008. Something started going wrong with my knee, probably overuse, but I can't afford a doctor. I started walking 3-4 times a week and even went one whole week without walking. The knee has gotten worse so now, I don't know what I can do to burn the 400 calories:( I know I can lose weight even without exercising but it is way hard for me to eat only 1200 calories. When I exercise I seem to have an easy time not going over. I don't know. Just really felt so good about things. I live way out in the country so I can't go into swim and I don't have a bicycle, which might be just as hard on my knee.

denise
  • jessbblonde
    jessbblonde Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i'm having kind of the same problem with my knee. look up strength knee on the net it told me to strengthen the muscle around the knee cause mine hurts on the inside of the leg and under knee cap and it's a weak muscle. it showed how to sit in a chair and lift one leg at a time on lay on the floor and do old school 80's leg lifts. NO SQUATS OR LUNGES
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

denise

I feel your pain I pay out of pocket for my medical..just a suggestion what about doing walk away the pounds and staying within a 1400 calorie diet..you could add in things like crunches and leg lifts ..no impact type stuff...where there is a will there is a way ...feel free to message me anytime ..i wish you luck you can get dvd's from the library
  • desirea2006
    desirea2006 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will apply to you too but when I walk or run or do the elliptical and my knee starts to get sore its my sign that its time for new shoes. And as soon as I replace them (about once every 4-5 months) my knee feels brand new again. It could possibly just be that your shoe is worn funny causing extra pressure on that particular spot in your knee. Mine is also on the inside of my knee (i'm feeling it now cuz I dont' want to stop working out but have to wait til payday to get new shoes) And GOOD LORD that thing hurts today and gets all swelled up. I hope this helps you out a little.
  • ErinD
    ErinD Posts: 14
    Options
    What type of shoe are you wearing, is it giving you enough support? My knee starts giving me grief when my shoes need to be replaced. I am a huge advocate of proper foot wear.... You could also do some low impact work as well. Biking is always good for the knee do you have a freecycle website in your area it is on Yahoo and maybe you can see if someone is giving away a bike or you can ask for one...this site is free...GOOD LUCK
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Ok darlin, I'll look that up and thank you for taking the time to reply, denise in Sams Valley OR
    i'm having kind of the same problem with my knee. look up strength knee on the net it told me to strengthen the muscle around the knee cause mine hurts on the inside of the leg and under knee cap and it's a weak muscle. it showed how to sit in a chair and lift one leg at a time on lay on the floor and do old school 80's leg lifts. NO SQUATS OR LUNGES
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I hope all your knees feel better!

punches are a pretty good cardio, are you icing your knee a couple times a day?
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    but does't that include walking? I am feeling some fear about walking at all because it isn't healing up. I will be glad to pm you though and find out more. Im willing to try anything that will burn calories and take pressure off that knee.

denise in Sams Valley OR

denise

I feel your pain I pay out of pocket for my medical..just a suggestion what about doing walk away the pounds and staying within a 1400 calorie diet..you could add in things like crunches and leg lifts ..no impact type stuff...where there is a will there is a way ...feel free to message me anytime ..i wish you luck you can get dvd's from the library
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Im sure I do need good shoes. The ones I have were 20 bucks at Wally World. I never planned to walk so much at the time I bought them. I am interviewing for a new job today and maybe I can afford to get some shoes soon. My knee thing is weird. It started in my toe a year ago or so. Just felt like a burning sort of pain on top of left, big toe. Then after I started walking a lot, I started feeling the same sort of pain in the left side of my left knee. Then the toe and knee area started being numb, near the surface, like more the skin but I could still feel the pain if I rubbed up against something. Have to be careful even pulling on jeans etc. There's also a shock sensation. All this seems like overuse to me but not being able to get a docs opinion Im stuck.

I appreciate your reply very much, it helps to know others are out there and that care, denise in OR

I don't know if this will apply to you too but when I walk or run or do the elliptical and my knee starts to get sore its my sign that its time for new shoes. And as soon as I replace them (about once every 4-5 months) my knee feels brand new again. It could possibly just be that your shoe is worn funny causing extra pressure on that particular spot in your knee. Mine is also on the inside of my knee (i'm feeling it now cuz I dont' want to stop working out but have to wait til payday to get new shoes) And GOOD LORD that thing hurts today and gets all swelled up. I hope this helps you out a little.
  • SandyHern
    SandyHern Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch before you do anything, even a simple thing like walking.

PS: Icy Hot works wonders! :wink:

103332.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thank you, maybe gettin a bike would be good. My shoes aren't good. I know they need to be replaced. I've walked like 500 miles in 5 months. I couldn't afford good shoes and I think I've learned the hard way that shoes are wayyyyyyyyy important.

denise

What type of shoe are you wearing, is it giving you enough support? My knee starts giving me grief when my shoes need to be replaced. I am a huge advocate of proper foot wear.... You could also do some low impact work as well. Biking is always good for the knee do you have a freecycle website in your area it is on Yahoo and maybe you can see if someone is giving away a bike or you can ask for one...this site is free...GOOD LUCK
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    No, I haven't been icing it but I best start. Ive been drinking ginger tea(natural anti-inflammatory)and also taking Cayenne capsules. I have advil for when it gets real bad.

Thank you for the reminder on icing it, denise

I hope all your knees feel better!

punches are a pretty good cardio, are you icing your knee a couple times a day?
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Yes, you are right. I only started doing that the last few times I walked. Now I have the knee to deal with. Sounds as if I best get a bike when I can, new shoes before I walk again at all, and use some ice. And............I will stretch before I exercise:) Thank you darlin, appreciate your input, denise
    Make sure you stretch before you do anything, even a simple thing like walking.

PS: Icy Hot works wonders! :wink:

103332.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Is there anywhere to swim around you? That keeps the stress off the joints

Just read your post again.... I guess the swimming is out. I push that because Swimming never feels like exercise to me...
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I love to swim. I so wish I was close enough to go to the Y. They have a great pool and are always real reasonable on memberships. You are right about it being easy on your bod. I used to go 4-5 days a week after work.

Thank you for your reply:) Maybe one day I can do some swimming again;) denise in Sams Valley OR

Is there anywhere to swim around you? That keeps the stress off the joints

Just read your post again.... I guess the swimming is out. I push that because Swimming never feels like exercise to me...
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Wow, I am feeling so grateful!! I scored a mountain bike. I can ride out here to my hearts content. I will have to take it easy and see how my knee does though. Kinda wonder if I should wrap it in an ace or not?? Well, I'll just take it easy.

Thanks everyone, I don't think I would have got out of my slump without all of your help. Flowers for everyone:happy: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: denise in Sams Valley OR