ok fitness warriors:)

Options
I need a list of the best calorie burning exercises, tried and true, that you gals and guys have found? As my other post mentioned, I out of the walking for atleast enough time to see if my knee will go back to normal. Someone mentioned bicycling which sounds great to me but I want to make sure there isn't too much pressure on my knee. In my gut, I know it's overuse as I had it before in my arms from lifting too much on a job for 4 months. So now, same thing has happened to my knee. So calling all others, especially those that have experienced this. So best you've found to burn calories without impact on my knee??

Thanks all, I have to get ready for interview and then I will be back. So this post will have no host, for now;) Have a great day ALL!!! denise in Sams Valley OR;)

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I need a list of the best calorie burning exercises, tried and true, that you gals and guys have found? As my other post mentioned, I out of the walking for atleast enough time to see if my knee will go back to normal. Someone mentioned bicycling which sounds great to me but I want to make sure there isn't too much pressure on my knee. In my gut, I know it's overuse as I had it before in my arms from lifting too much on a job for 4 months. So now, same thing has happened to my knee. So calling all others, especially those that have experienced this. So best you've found to burn calories without impact on my knee??

Thanks all, I have to get ready for interview and then I will be back. So this post will have no host, for now;) Have a great day ALL!!! denise in Sams Valley OR;)
  • diehard412
    diehard412 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The BEST and less stressful workout machine is the elliptical. Trust me. im an ex football player. I had 2 knew surgeries back in the day so currently in both of my knees i have NO acl's and NO cartilage. so my knees are pretty much bone on bone... i can Not run on tredmills. so I stick to the bike like u said and the elliptical.

The elliptical machine has ZERO stress on your knees ...

Hope this helps :)
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options
    try the water areobics... it is great or the eliptical just pass your self on the eliptical... my knees hurt me but I pass myself on the eliptical and I do alot of water areobics... then sit in the hot tub....

swimming burns more calories then them all
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    elliptical is awesome and it works great-- I love it and it kicks but in calories too--
    plus at the gym those machines have so many different settings so you can use it everyday and just switch your setting to keep it different.
  • ttoombs
    ttoombs Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use the stair glider, it doesn't put to much pressure on my knees. I have a rod and arthritis in my left knee so I have to be careful. Also swimming is good. :smile:
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    The BEST and less stressful workout machine is the elliptical. Trust me. im an ex football player. I had 2 knew surgeries back in the day so currently in both of my knees i have NO acl's and NO cartilage. so my knees are pretty much bone on bone... i can Not run on tredmills. so I stick to the bike like u said and the elliptical.

I totally agree the elliptical gives an incredible workout for the amount of time you spend on it. I have had 2 hip replacements, and no cartilage in my ankles and the elliptical and recumbent bike combine to give me an awesome workout. Throw in a little upper body weights and it will burn a LOT of calories. Best to you...

Rick
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Swimming.:smile:

You can do reps with kickboard (work out your legs and build muscle with zero stress on joints), and laps, etc.

I burn about 500-600 cals an hour through swimming.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    that depends on how hard you want to push yourself, I have a list of exercises that would burn you well over 1000 calories an hour (probably closer to 1400 for newbies). but the first few times you do it, you probably won't be able to do anything for the next couple of days. But that's ok because the anaerobic nature of it elevates your heart rate for up to 48 hours, which in turn, means you get extra calorie burn, for just sitting around the house (or doing laundry, or bringing mail to the post office, or putting gas in the car, or talking on the phone, or sleeping...etc.) get it? :wink:

Side benefit, you'll also increase muscle density, and your lung capacity will increase.
  • desirea2006
    desirea2006 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ok So I recently took a class given by the Cooper Institute and learned something that blew me away. Did you know that stretching can burn just as many calories and sometimes more calories then a regular workout? Yoga is a great low impact exercise (shoes are not required). I would suggest the Biggest Loser Yoga video. VERY INTENSE (I still can't make it all the way to the end cuz my muscles feel as if they are on fire) and very low impact. Or get a workout band (or a bath towel will work the same) and lie on the floor and use it to do static stretches. Pull and hold for 30-60 seconds and then release and do it again. When you see old men that have no butt and no flexibility in their walk, well thats from years of not stretching. Dr. Cooper believes in preventative medicine rather then waiting til your sick to fix you. Your heart rate isn't even up when doing yoga but sweat is pouring out of every pore in your body. Its a strange "phenomenon" to be perfectly still for minutes at a time and sweat that much.

Hope this helps til your knee is better and hopefully you'll like so much you'll continue once your healed.
  • rebcolorado
    Options
    If you belong to a gym ..... One of the best pieces of equipment in a gym and ironically the least used is the rowing machine. You get a complete body workout (including core), you can set the resistance at a level that you are comfortable with and, while there is knee movement, there is no impact on the knees. A cardio and toning workout in one!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Ok, so for what I can afford to do, get a bicycle. If I am understanding you right. I respect your input and can't imagine what you've gone through but I am glad you shared it because that really gives me hope that I can still burn the cals. Thank you much, denise in Sams Valley OR

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    I will look into this as well. Lots of times you can find equipment people just want to ditch because it takes up space and they don't use it. I have a deck and for Spring and Summer here, it would be a great outdoor workout;) Thank you much, denise in Sams Valley OR

If you belong to a gym ..... One of the best pieces of equipment in a gym and ironically the least used is the rowing machine. You get a complete body workout (including core), you can set the resistance at a level that you are comfortable with and, while there is knee movement, there is no impact on the knees. A cardio and toning workout in one!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Wowwwwwwwwwwww, this sounds great!!! Sure hope there aren't any fellers here with no butts though:sad: I would still love them;) They should have butt implants if we girls can have boob implants, only fair:huh:

Ok So I recently took a class given by the Cooper Institute and learned something that blew me away. Did you know that stretching can burn just as many calories and sometimes more calories then a regular workout? Yoga is a great low impact exercise (shoes are not required). I would suggest the Biggest Loser Yoga video. VERY INTENSE (I still can't make it all the way to the end cuz my muscles feel as if they are on fire) and very low impact. Or get a workout band (or a bath towel will work the same) and lie on the floor and use it to do static stretches. Pull and hold for 30-60 seconds and then release and do it again. When you see old men that have no butt and no flexibility in their walk, well thats from years of not stretching. Dr. Cooper believes in preventative medicine rather then waiting til your sick to fix you. Your heart rate isn't even up when doing yoga but sweat is pouring out of every pore in your body. Its a strange "phenomenon" to be perfectly still for minutes at a time and sweat that much.

Hope this helps til your knee is better and hopefully you'll like so much you'll continue once your healed.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Well, I will work but I don't think I would have the time to burn that much. I figure for me, 2 hours a day at the most is good. I am open to learning what I might do from that list to burn atleast 400 as I was doing with the walking. I live in a travel Trailer so not much space, but, with Summer coming, I can use the nice deck they've got built on. No equipment, yet.

Thanks and send me any info you feel might work for me if you have time:) Denise in Sams Valley OR

You can do reps with kickboard (work out your legs and build muscle with zero stress on joints), and laps, etc.

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thanks Rick, I may be able to get a bicycle to ride out here, lots of back-roads for great rides. It amazes me that the bike would be easier on the knee. By the way, I have hip pain from God knows where, just old age I imagine, LOL! But, I know people beyond my years are keeping fit so, so can I;)

denise in Sams Valley OR

I totally agree the elliptical gives an incredible workout for the amount of time you spend on it. I have had 2 hip replacements, and no cartilage in my ankles and the elliptical and recumbent bike combine to give me an awesome workout. Throw in a little upper body weights and it will burn a LOT of calories. Best to you...

Rick
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I can't do the swimming:( Not close enough to town. But thank you for your reply. If I can ever get back into swimming you can bet I will. I love it!!! denise in Sams Valley OR

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    I read up on my symptoms and it sound maybe like arthritis. I don't know but hear a lot about acid build up too, uric acid?? Anyway, thanks for your input and good for you to find something that works, I will too. Wish it could be swimming but I think the bicycle thing may be it for me;) denise in Sams Valley OR
    I use the stair glider, it doesn't put to much pressure on my knees. I have a rod and arthritis in my left knee so I have to be careful. Also swimming is good. :smile:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I have a job interview so have to head out. I do appreciate so much input here from you all.

Hope to finish answering the replies when I return,

denise in Sams Valley OR(feeling much better having spent time with you all today):wink:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    woohooooooooo!!! I scored a mountain bike!! Well, I'll give this bike-riding a chance and see how my knee does. Thank you all bunches!

denise
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    that depends on how hard you want to push yourself, I have a list of exercises that would burn you well over 1000 calories an hour (probably closer to 1400 for newbies). but the first few times you do it, you probably won't be able to do anything for the next couple of days. But that's ok because the anaerobic nature of it elevates your heart rate for up to 48 hours, which in turn, means you get extra calorie burn, for just sitting around the house (or doing laundry, or bringing mail to the post office, or putting gas in the car, or talking on the phone, or sleeping...etc.) get it? :wink:

Side benefit, you'll also increase muscle density, and your lung capacity will increase.
    Hey I'm interested in earing a little more about the 1000 calorie burn workouts. I have an hour to workout a day and sometimes that's all I got.