Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not burning enough calories

Terasome
Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
Ok Ive only been here for a few days so still new to all this. In my diary it gives me a daily exercise time and how many calories I should be burning each day. I have no problem doing the time but am not getting anywhere near the calorie burn it says. What can I do to get up there.

I am able to do wii, ab circle pro and walking my dog. Any other suggestions.

I have 2 very dodgy ankles ( regularly sprained and then both broken) which I am working on getting the strength back into them. So exercises that involve running are out at the moment.

Replies

• beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    MFP numbers are only ever guidelines. If you have bad ankles I would strongly suggest not doing too much anyway. You can always work it up later. As long as you are exercising regularly and sticking to your calorie goal I don't see an issue. I am currently doing the 30 day shred, which doesn't burn "enough" calories, but I am definitely noticing the difference in my fitness and, hopefully by the end of it, my body. If you do want to do more, I would suggest just adding some time onto your current exercises if you struggle to do anything more strenuous.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    What about swimming? The numbers on MFP are pretty high for that though I'm not sure how accurate they are.

Otherwise, you could just take your dog for a longer walk. He will thank you for it and you don't have to walk for a stupid length of time to get to your calorie goal.

I think a 40 minute swim or an hour's walk would burn your 250.

ETA
    Unless ... I can't believe I've only just thought of this ... is 250 the daily calorie burn goal for everyone or is that just mine because I'm a midget? If you've got a higher number then the above suggestions might not cut it at all.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    I think it's because you are a midget. lol! I am one too. I think it is based on your goals because mine is set at 300.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Try swimming. I found it useful when I fell down the stairs and broke my ankle, arm and managed to dislocate my shoulder as well. Last year I fell down a rabbit hole a damaged my knee and swimming helped again. A good form of exercise when you need to strengthen your muscles again. :happy:
  • Terasome
    Thanks for your help. Ive just bought 30 day shred online so I'm waiting for that to be delivered. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday that will be here. Swimming sounds good as long as I can get someone to watch the 3 year old or I can put him on a noodle in front of me.
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    If you have that many problems with your ankle, I am going to tell you right now that 30DS is NOT going to be good for them.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    If you have that many problems with your ankle, I am going to tell you right now that 30DS is NOT going to be good for them.

I have to say that I agree with this! That said, can you ride a bike or will that bother your ankles?
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member

I agree with this... I have it.
  • Terasome

I have to say that I agree with this! That said, can you ride a bike or will that bother your ankles?

Yeah I can ride a bike, just cant run at the moment. When I exercise my ankles are in futuro ankle braces. Guess I will be strengthening my ankles before I do 30DS then. Thanks for the advice.
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    I second the swimming suggestion if you can fit it in. Half an hour in the pool doing consistent lengths of breast stroke or freestyle should burn between 200-300 calories and it will be gentle on your ankles.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    For cardio, you could try boxing workouts? No leg movement, you can just stand there. I had to do that when I whacked my ankle on the door frame and it hurt to flex my foot but it still gave a good workout.
  • jisabelle
    jisabelle Posts: 156 Member
    I agree with the swiming.Love it ! Also try lots of repetition of sit ups, leg lifts, punching the air, extend your arms and do circles. or try going to youtube and see if they have anny videos on excercise while siting on a chair or standing.
    hope this helps. :smile: