I want to give up!!

Options
I have been on MFP for almost 3 months. I had a bad week and just want to give up all together. I am getting bored :grumble: with the exercise and i cant afford the food!! I have been at the same weight for 2 weeks now:sick: . I dont know what to do ne more i just want to give up!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :

Replies

• naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options
    I have been on MFP for almost 3 months. I had a bad week and just want to give up all together. I am getting bored :grumble: with the exercise and i cant afford the food!! I have been at the same weight for 2 weeks now:sick: . I dont know what to do ne more i just want to give up!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP! Keep that frame of mind you ve had, ive been feeling the same dang way, but we have come too far to blow it now.....i havent seen a whole lot of change in myself either....even joined aerobics classes as far as the food, use what you have you don t really have to go buy a lot of stuff just cook more sensible hang in there.......the scale hasnt changed a bunch for me in fact it says a bit more since i started exercising, but i went from a tight 12 to comfy 10 so far...........ANY time you need encouragement hit me up! :drinker:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You can't just give up! 3 months is far to long of an investment not to continue.

If the exercises are boring, find new exercises you think are more fun. Ask folks on here, there are all kinds of things you can do.

If the food is too expensive, research alternatives, or ask people on here what they do. A lot of people on MFP have had to find less expensive ways to buy food, it's possible.

And most of all, remember, we all have hard weeks, even months, but there's nobody out there that will do this for you, you have to do it for yourself. If you want to be a healthier, stronger, happier person, the first step is committing to it, and that means sticking to it even when you don't feel like it!

best luck to you.

-Banks
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    Don't give up!!! Healthy meals can be relatively inexpensive. Use fresh veggies and I eat LOTS of turkey, ground, bacon, you get the idea. Sometimes you gotta watch for the specials. As far as your plateau, have you increased your exercise without your caloric intake? That will cause your body to go into survival mode...hanging on to the fat cells. Mix up your exercise, try different things, it helps. Best to you always...I'm cheerin' you on!!!

Rick
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Firstly, healthy living doesn't have to be expensive! :noway:
    Opt for tinned or frozen veg, tinned or frozen fruit too if it helps :happy:
    Pasta, rice, tuna, chicken, it's amazing when you put your mind to it, just how many different meals you can come up with, with just a few ingredients.
    If low fat cheese is expensive (it is in my store), opt for mild cheddar instead.
    Cook from sctrach, if no time during the week, then cook and freeze on days off, it makes sense, and saves loads of time :flowerforyou:

Secondly, DON'T GIVE UP! We all go through it, it took tme to get overweight, it'll take time to lose it again:flowerforyou:

What exercise are you doing? Maybe spice it up a little, change it round a bit?

PM me if you like - but pleeeeeaaaassssseeee don't give up :flowerforyou:
  • knlamb10
    knlamb10 Posts: 33
    Options
    This may sound weird.. and I am no way a professional.. but you may need to start taking in more calories... and doing interval training. As you work out longer your body metabolizes food faster... so if you are doing the same routine as 2 months ago.. your body no longer functions the same.. and may have kicked into starvatiion mode. Not sure if you have a fitness center near you that does MAP testing.. but this will tell you exactly how many calories you are burning at rest, while working out and what you need to sustain for living. A friend of mine had the same issue 2 months ago... she had this done and as soon as she did... the weight started MELTING off like never before! She had just done the general guidelines before adn found she was way off for her body. Hope this helps... hang in there!
  • nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    Options
    I totally hear what you're saying! Us larger folks need to see results NOW and if we don't we feel like failures and giving up - we all do. And most of us give up and quit but that's what this site is for. You're allowed to have weeks where nothing happens and you get frustrated and want to break something! But if you're eating right (and enough), drinking your water and exercising there is NO WAY you won't start losing weight - you have to stick with it. It took a long time to put this weight on and it will take even longer to take it off.

As far as eating for less try buying the big family bags of frozen mixed vegetables and throw them all in the pan with a little olive oil and garlic and you have vegetables you can bring to lunch with you all week!

Good luck and we're always here if you need to vent :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

what food are you eating that you can't afford? I don't eat expensive-

And might I add that your down 19lbs- which is good because 3 months is 12 weeks and at a pound a week you should have lost 12lbs so you are doing good- Im not hear to convince you either way but Look at your results-
    As far as being bored with your exercises switch them up don't do the same thing everyday-
    If your choice is to quick then fine but what is that going to get you right back to where you were when you started unhappy and overweight and not liking what you see in the mirror- Nobody said losing weight was easy- If you want something you have to work for it-

Yes being overweight is much easier because you don't have to do nothing but sit there and eat- But losing it is harder because you have to put in what you want out of it-

quitting isn't an option for me-- Do you want to continue to be a statistic of overweight/obese americans--
    I will give you motivation- you may not like it but I will give you the kick in the *kitten* you need- I dont sugar coat or beat around the bush its something you have to do for yourself not anybody else-

Also what are you eating that is so expensive

I eat normal food all day long and stay within my calories-
    It all comes down to portion control and moderation and knowing when to push the plate away which is also self control-

Im sorry if I offended you or anyone else- best of luck with your decision which ever it is-
    I saw a women yesterday that was 500lbs that was plenty of motivation- Hearing everyone talk about her- Thinking of my expression when I saw how big she was and wondering if she noticed it- Hearing a little boy's voice in complete suprise and voicing himself when he saw her when the elevator opened--
    There isn't an excuse to quit- go for walks- work yourself up to run miles- hit the gym- take aerobics classes- there are so many options for you to do as far as working out so you don't get bored--

ok im done- best of luck
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    if you give up you can't succeed. Don't give up :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

You should live by your motto signature.....your here alive and well live life sweat see accomplishments and improve your physical and mental well being..perhaps your not ready to committ to living a healthy lifestyle and for some it comes in spurts and sometimes in small doses..no one is the same...perhaps pick and choose the things you do like and follow through with them rather than going gung ho....going full blast is not for everyone ..i cant afford the food eother but we have to make the best choices we can its not about eating whole wheat pasta verses regular..its about eating a healthy portion of whatever you choose...excercise isnt always dvd's and the gym ...get out walk the mall go to a park..get a puppy dog and walk him..everything counts...I wish you much success in whatever you choose..
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up, you really have come a long way. You've lost almost 20 pounds in three months? It took me 5 months to lose 20! You had a bad week, accept that and move on. Success isn't about how well you do, it's how well you pick yourself up after falling.

What is your current exercise routine? Find something you enjoy and turn it into exercise. My work out consists of walking and riding my bike. I don't do nearly as vigorous workout as some people do here, but I know I would get bored with that and grow to hate it quickly. I would rather find something a little less vigorous long term than some high impact, grueling workout that I know I won't stick with. Going for a long walk once the weather gets warm (hell it's 31 degrees here and I just got back from a mile and a half walk) can not only be good exercise, but I find walks to be very therepuetic and enjoyable.

What special food are you buying that you can't afford anymore? You don't need to buy special weightloss food, just by regular food that is better for you. Switch from ground beef to ground turkey, buy lowfat cheese, buy fat free skim milk, buy reduced fat crackers, etc. You'd be amazed at how many things have a low fat, low cal alternative that tastes good too.
  • Love_Conquers_All
    Options

DON't Naner...we need you here! We need one another to pull together to stay on the path and encourage one another.

I read how at about 3-4 months it's a turning point whether someone will have the stick-to-it-ness to stick to their new healthy lifestyle.

Keep it up Girl... a bad week in 3 monthes definitely IS NOT a good reason to give up Hon.... How about thinkin good healthy dinner for tonight with some yummy greens, maybe some fish a bit of fruit. Changing our mind is is more important than we realize... The scale only gives us half truth... how about pulling out the trusty tape measure and giving that a try for awhile.

I can't always afford the foods I want to get so I do the best I can with what I have... I do understand the money stress/food stuff.

Hang in Girl...we're all in this together...you being here is for a reason....we need you and you need us to be successful... walking a journey alone is simply that, a wee bit lonely.

Come on keep playing with us:tongue: .... jump back on one of our wagons and we can help you build your strenght back up to continue:smooched:
  • bootsnspurs4horses
    Options
    I would love to say I lost 19 pounds !!! LOVE TO LOVE TO !!!

But I haven't put in the hard work and time yet, I guess !!

It's just another day. . .keep doing what you're doing that works.

Hang in there !
  • naner
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP! Keep that frame of mind you ve had, ive been feeling the same dang way, but we have come too far to blow it now.....i havent seen a whole lot of change in myself either....even joined aerobics classes as far as the food, use what you have you don t really have to go buy a lot of stuff just cook more sensible hang in there.......the scale hasnt changed a bunch for me in fact it says a bit more since i started exercising, but i went from a tight 12 to comfy 10 so far...........ANY time you need encouragement hit me up! :drinker:

Thank you!! :smile:
  • naner
    Options

what food are you eating that you can't afford? I don't eat expensive-

And might I add that your down 19lbs- which is good because 3 months is 12 weeks and at a pound a week you should have lost 12lbs so you are doing good- Im not hear to convince you either way but Look at your results-
    As far as being bored with your exercises switch them up don't do the same thing everyday-
    If your choice is to quick then fine but what is that going to get you right back to where you were when you started unhappy and overweight and not liking what you see in the mirror- Nobody said losing weight was easy- If you want something you have to work for it-

Yes being overweight is much easier because you don't have to do nothing but sit there and eat- But losing it is harder because you have to put in what you want out of it-

quitting isn't an option for me-- Do you want to continue to be a statistic of overweight/obese americans--
    I will give you motivation- you may not like it but I will give you the kick in the *kitten* you need- I dont sugar coat or beat around the bush its something you have to do for yourself not anybody else-

Also what are you eating that is so expensive

I eat normal food all day long and stay within my calories-
    It all comes down to portion control and moderation and knowing when to push the plate away which is also self control-

Im sorry if I offended you or anyone else- best of luck with your decision which ever it is-
    I saw a women yesterday that was 500lbs that was plenty of motivation- Hearing everyone talk about her- Thinking of my expression when I saw how big she was and wondering if she noticed it- Hearing a little boy's voice in complete suprise and voicing himself when he saw her when the elevator opened--
    There isn't an excuse to quit- go for walks- work yourself up to run miles- hit the gym- take aerobics classes- there are so many options for you to do as far as working out so you don't get bored--

ok im done- best of luck

I am a vegetarian so all i eat is veggies, fruit and beans. I only have $50 to last me the rest of the month and Im also a single mother. I think im just a little depressed, but i do like what u have to say. I want to thank you and eveyone else for making me feel better I wont give up. I dont want to be fat anymore.
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options
    Dont give up.. Just think of the prize down the road sometimes weeks are beeter then others just keep going... Think positive thoughts You can achieve anything you want to ...

There isnt to much more food then what you would normally buy cuz veggies cost less then junk food, and water is less then pop..

stay positive maybe you have lost inches and not pounds???

Good Luck hope you stay with it... I know it will be worth it in the long run.... Just keep going.....
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't Give Up! What is truly important.....losing weight or being healthy?? Are you choices reflective of health? You might want to look at your food and see if it's balanced. I understand the food is expensive compared to fast food, but when you say you can't you won't. But later on in life, do you want to be on several medications for diabetes, cholesterol, etc which by far will tax your finances.
    Try to see the big perspective. Try a new style of exercise. I have always been a team sports person and now I'm doing boxing and it kicks your butt & I love it! It might get out your frustrations as well. Go to the library, clip coupons, share food with others to cut costs, try a farmer's market. If your goal is to change your life, then stay focused and do it! YOU CAN! I have felt defeated as well, but pick yourself up and focus on what you can do today!
    150768.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • hetipt01
    hetipt01 Posts: 32
    Options
    I know just what you are going through. It is a sad depressing state to be in and I feel bad that you have to experience it. But look, you've lost 19 lbs! That is beyond impressive! I'm so very proud to see someone who struggles like me accomplish such a feat! Just remember that this isn't a diet, its a lifestyle change and if you're unhappy then you need to alter some things so you dont get burnt out! Do as some of the others have suggested, change up the exercise routine. Heck get some of your friends together, turn up some music and dance away! Get your heart pumping in ways that are enjoyable. That doesn't always mean taking a jog or doing crunches. Experiment with some different foods. (cheap foods- I know it can be awfully expensive). Just remember that this is your life and you are in complete control of your actions. You have the ability to make yourself the person you want to be, nobody else can do that for you!
    Keep going strong!!
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    It's easy to be discouraged but don't quit.
    I've been stuck for months. What I did was decide I would not only never give up,
    but get a "date" out of my mind as to when this was all supposed to be reached and make it a lifetime of tracking. That immediately takes the pressure off.
    The scale isn't the final judge anyway.
    Muscle weighs and somedays we hold water for whatever reason. I got to weighing only twice a month at the same time each morning. Just go gentle with yourself and think long term.

But don't quit. People have been losing weight and keeping it off for a long time.
    Let's be one of them!
  • NellieS
    NellieS Posts: 3
    Options
    DON'T!! THE ENEMY ALWAYS WANTS US TO GIVE UP, HE DOES NOT WANT US TO BE THE BEST THAT WE CAN BE. WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. DO IT FOR THE BEST YOU THAT YOU CAN BE.