Abs are made in the kitchen?

Options
Is the above true? I mean no matter how hard you work out is it true you would need to get your food in line to get true definition?

Replies

• 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Is the above true? I mean no matter how hard you work out is it true you would need to get your food in line to get true definition?

I would think so...
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think the main focus of this statement is that you are never going to SEE your abs if they are covered in a layer of fat. You can HAVE strong abdominals from exercise but to SEE them you have to have your diet in line as well (calories in vs. calories out) to get the fat off of them. A lot of people will say that you have to be eating or avoiding certain foods as well but I do not have any personal knowledge of the veracity of that idea as my abs are currently still in hiding. :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In my experience its all about bodyfat.

like another post has said, everyone has abs, they are just under a layer of fat. If you eat well and lower yourt body fat sufficiently then you will be able to see them. i dont think it is essential to eat clean 100% of the time.
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've always been told "You can't outwork a bad diet"
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Everybody has abs, but unless you have lower levels of adipose tissue you are not going to see them properly. Most people that have abs have them because they have dieted down far enough for it to be visible.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Abs are MADE in the gym.

Abs are REVEALED in the kitchen.
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    great topic
  • katiebearista
    Options
    Overall health and "fitness" is 80% nutrition, 10% exercise, and 10% genetics. What you eat makes a HUGE difference in what you look like and feel like. True, you're not going to get the 'ideal' physique with just diet alone, but if you put nutrition on the back-burner and think you can get by with just relying on exercise, think again!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Abs are MADE in the gym.

actually abs are made by mothers. then they take us to Mcdonalds and we cover them up with fat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Well, I know as a teenager and into my early 20s, it didn't matter how low my body fat was (and I was really skinny) the only thing that showed was ribs. But I didn't exercise at all then.

Now, I have a higher BF%, but significantly more muscle (my lean body mass now is about the same as my total body weight was then), and I have some visible definition. Not a 6-pack, but definition.

So I don't buy the "everyone has abs, you just need to reveal them" thing. I mean... obviously I HAD abdominal muscles, but they were too small and undefined to be detectible.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Yes. I have been working my butt off for 20 years and until last Septemeber when I started eating healthier and leaner (I ate alot of carbs and junk) my body is so much more toned. I have heard numerous times 80% (or maybe 90%)of your weight loss or whatever your goal is (LBM gain) is from food and and the rest working out.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Abs are MADE in the gym.

Haha I love you! I was scrolling through this thread and thinking, " I know what I would do in the kitchen" then saw this. :wink:
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Abs are MADE in the gym.

Love it! In addition, if you spend about 6 hours cooking or preparing food for the week on Sundays (my case), you burn about 600 calories!
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Definately true. When I was at my lowest, I had a 6 pack despite not doing any real ab exercises (I focused on mainly legs and chest muscles) and still being a bit chubby. To be honest, I hated having it because I don't like the way it looks on my body. I've made peace with the fact that I have to have one if I don't want to be fat though, so I should see it again soon!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You cannot out-train a bad diet. Doesn't matter how many hours per week you spend on your abs, if you eat like a fat kid at a birthday party, you'll never uncover the layer of fat exposing your abs.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    You cannot out-train a bad diet. Doesn't matter how many hours per week you spend on your abs, if you eat like a fat kid at a birthday party, you'll never uncover the layer of fat exposing your abs.

Yep!
  • sarakelseym
    sarakelseym Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Abs are MADE in the gym.

I love this. For me, this rings very true. When I was thinner than I am now, I was an ice skater. I exercised intensely four days a week...but I still ate terribly. So while I technically was muscular, you couldn't tell under all the fat I was gaining from my eating habits.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

yes and no, you need to be in a deficit to lose the fat, and get enough protein to ensure you are losing fat and not muscle, but what you eat doesn't matter it all comes down to macros and total caloric intake.

What that quote means is that if you eat at a surplus, no matter how much you workout, you will not get a six pack.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Abs are MADE in the gym.

^for the most part, yes
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    It's true that your abs won't show if you have a layer of fat over them, so yeah. I think achieving your ideal body (anywhere from healthy and toned to downright muscular, wherever you fall on that scale) is 90% eating and 10% exercise.

That being said, cardio exercises that put you in fat burning heart rate zones help that reveal along quite a bit.