Don't you hate it when.....?

Options
Your on the treadmill, elliptical, arc trainer or really anywhere in the gym and someone just lets one rip next to you like nothing happened? No excuse me or anything! I mean I'm sure we all have had one slip out while doing abs, etc.. but at least be civil and excuse yourself!

What else really annoys you at the gym?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Meh not really.. People fart, life happens. I have the stomach from hell some days, and I've been known to let a few rip.. and what I am going to say to do? Stop my workout to walk around and be like Sorry, I farted? No.. most people are to engrossed in their workout to care what happens.

What does annoy me though, is meat heads that leave their plates on the machine after they finish using them. My theory is, if you can shove ten 45 pound plates on there, then you sure as hell can take them all off!

Also people who sit on the machine like it's a bench.. do a set and then circle the machine until they are ready to do a second set. Either do all three sets at once with a minimal break or get out of my way... We're not stalking the machines here.. esp on a sunday when there is no one there!
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Well...I think it is gross, but I understand that some just ignore it because they are embarrassed. What I HATE is when people get off the machines and don't wipe them down. To me it is just so gross. No one wants all of that nasty sweat on them. UGH!
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options
    Very very bad smelling body odour. You want to politely say something but how can you??
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I do hate it, yes. Yes, people fart. And there's an appropriate place to do that. It's not going to kill you to get off the treadmill, go to the toilet, do whatever you need to do, and then get back on the treadmill. I really don't want to inhale airborn faecal particles, ta....
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Well...I think it is gross, but I understand that some just ignore it because they are embarrassed. What I HATE is when people get off the machines and don't wipe them down. To me it is just so gross. No one wants all of that nasty sweat on them. UGH!

Another annoying thing to me too! How hard is it to wipe down the machine or bench afterwards? Really!
  • meerkat70
    Options

Oh there's a bloke who regularly does this at my gym. He's a serious fitness freak, pushes himself well beyond anything I could dream of doing - very impressive. But he literally leaves pools of sweat all round the bike when he's done. He wipes down the bit where your hands / arms go, but nothing else. It's just nasty.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I felt one seeking escape in McDonald's the other day.
    I thought it would harmlessly and silently drift out and away, but NO!
    It ripped out in a flurry, reverberating off the bench which magnified the sound, causing a humiliating echo.

I stood up, took a bow and said to all, "please excuse me!".
    They laughed, and all went well.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do hate it, yes. Yes, people fart. And there's an appropriate place to do that. It's not going to kill you to get off the treadmill, go to the toilet, do whatever you need to do, and then get back on the treadmill. I really don't want to inhale airborn faecal particles, ta....

That isn't always possible.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    If you don't know when you're going to fart, you might want to see a doctor about that....
  • staps065
    Options
    It ripped out in a flurry, reverberating off the bench which magnified the sound, causing a humiliating echo.

At least you claimed it and didn't act like it never happened. I've had it happen where one slipped out and I've warned people to avoid the area. I know it happens, but don't just ignore it!
  • Insinr8r
    Options

That's the way to handle it. :bigsmile:
    No fuss no mess
  • dad106
    Options

I agree.. Plus seriously? Stop you're workout for a fart? Stupid in my opinion.. Generally when I fart, it's one and done... not multiple and I don't need to go to the bathroom for it.. Most people understand bodily functions happen.

Unless you're on MFP apparently..
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I find it utterly offensive when someone uses a napkin to open the bathroom then just drop the napkin on the ground. You do know that someone else now has to pick that up because of your germophobic, lazy *kitten*. It's completely disrespectful.

Oh, and BTW, the guy that touched his junk and didn't wash his hands also touched the next door down the hall. Why do you only use the napkin on the bathroom door? Shouldn't you be using it all the time? Maybe you should just wear surgical gloves 24 hours a day?
  • staps065
    Options
    I find it utterly offensive when someone uses a napkin to open the bathroom then just drop the napkin on the ground. You do know that someone else now has to pick that up because of your germophobic, lazy *kitten*. It's completely disrespectful.

I've noticed this seems to be a new trend. I understand that the door may be filled with germs (because I see a LOT of guys who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom!) but just throwing the paper towel on the floor? Pigs!

I've noticed more places have trash cans near the door or even better have the maze design to go in and out so you don't have to touch the door.
  • meerkat70
    Options

I agree.. Plus seriously? Stop you're workout for a fart? Stupid in my opinion.. Generally when I fart, it's one and done... not multiple and I don't need to go to the bathroom for it.. Most people understand bodily functions happen.

Well I guess there are skat lovers everywhere.
  • grumpy2032
    grumpy2032 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It happens .... you can say sorry or not but it is what our bodies do. If you have good control you can go to another room and "let -er-fly " but some times it just happones .and we as living beings have to deal with it.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I agree too. Better an empty house than a bad tennant.
  • staps065
    Options
    It happens .... you can say sorry or not but it is what our bodies do. If you have good control you can go to another room and "let -er-fly " but some times it just happones .and we as living beings have to deal with it.

As the books say: Everybody Farts; Everybody Poops but we can at least say excuse me! Is that REALLY too much to ask? I fart too while on a cardio machine or abs machine, but I excuse myself! I don't think you have to get off the machine and break your stride, but a simple excuse me is too much to ask? Wow!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Can you imagine being next to someone in the gym and noticing that they've said something to you, so you remove your headphones and say, "What?" and they respond with, "Oh, I was just excusing myself for farting."

THAT would annoy me.

Everybody farts. Not everybody has a hang up with feeling the need to apologize for it.
  • dad106
    Options
    Can you imagine being next to someone in the gym and noticing that they've said something to you, so you remove your headphones and say, "What?" and they respond with, "Oh, I was just excusing myself for farting."

THAT would annoy me.

Everybody farts. Not everybody has a hang up with feeling the need to apologize for it.

Exactly what I was typing before MFP screwed up on me.

People have headphones in 95% of the time and wouldn't hear you anyway... so do you stop, tap the people beside you on the shoulder and the ones behind you to apologize? No... that's creepy and awkward.

Most people don't want to know who the offender was.. so why would you announce it?