Turkey Burger

Options
Does anyone have suggestions for making turkey burgers? Mine are always dry. I use spices so the flavor is good, just feels like cardboard. HELP!!!!

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I make turkey burgers with 93% lean turkey and the don't come out dry. One of my secrets is I add sauteed onions to the meat. They keep the meat moist and add great flavor. Another thing is to add a small amount of water. But the best secret is not to overcook them. I think people cook burgers to death so they end up dry and gross. I have a digital probe thermometer and I take the burgers off the grill/out of the broiler at 160. Any more than that you're looking at cardboard. As for spices, play around with what you like, they won't add moisture but they will enhance the flavor.
  • CINDYLOU1966
    CINDYLOU1966 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i grill mine frozen .. then I just prush a little sweet and sour on them not much not even 1/8 of teaspoon and when they are about done i put pinapple on the top with little chesse not much . then have green salad or veggies
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Santa Fe Turkey Burgers - 158 calories per burger

1 lb. 99% fat free ground turkey
    6 tbsp. salsa
    42 baked scoops tortilla chips, ground
    4 slices kraft fat-free cheddar (or shredded)
    1 cup black beans
    salt
    pepper
    garlic salt
    cayenne pepper
    smoked paprika
    (all seasonings to taste - add your favorites/omit what you don't like)

Mix all ingredients, form into patties & grill. Serve them on an Arnold Select Sandwich Thin (add 100 calories). Makes 8 burgers.
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I shred about 1/2 cup of zucchini into a 20 oz package of ground turkey. Helps a bunch!
  • ndswimchick22
    ndswimchick22 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I pour a little of milk into my turkey burgers! Stops them from coming out dry!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I sautee green peppers and onions and add them. Be careful and not overcook them they turn into cardboard if that happens. I also like to buy jennie o premade burgers they are great and easy if you do not have the time to make your own.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    A little milk, shredded onion, and cook very gently, not too much.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would put cooked pureed veggies in them. It keeps them moist and no one knows there in there.
    Onions, carrots and mushrooms, along with onion powder, little garlic and S&P to taste. Test a tiny one before making a whole batch to make sure the seasoning is right.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    wow, this sounds AMAZING, can't wait to try it. Thank you:)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    There is a post running now with a recipe That you could substitute Turkey for and make burgers. It sound really good.
    Here it is.

Thai Chicken Balls by Sia Bevis

Ingredients

2 pounds ground chicken
    1 cup dry bread crumbs
    4 green onions, sliced
    1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together the chicken and bread crumbs. Season with green onion, ground coriander, cilantro, chili sauce and lemon juice; mix well.
    Using damp hands, form mixture into evenly shaped balls that are either small enough to eat with your fingers, or large enough to use as burgers.
    Bake in a shallow dish at 350 until browned
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    put a small cheese cube in the center. Yummy inside out turkey-cheese-burger. And I agree, try not to overcook. I always grill mine even in the freezing cold Michigan winters. They are just so much more delicious that way. : ) Good luck.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    put a small cheese cube in the center. Yummy inside out turkey-cheese-burger. And I agree, try not to overcook. I always grill mine even in the freezing cold Michigan winters. They are just so much more delicious that way. : ) Good luck.

I use the cheese idea too and my kids love it. I also do this with my mini turkey meatloaves that I make them in a muffin tin. I suggest a good sharp cheddar because it adds more flavor so you don't need as much of it. Finely chopped green pepper keep my turkey burgers moist.
  • I find adding some crumbled light feta cheese and oregano and lemon pepper really gives it a nice Mediterranean taste. Throw in an egg white for extra protein (and no fat) and to hold it better together. Instead of usual hamburger toppings, add a tablespoon of hummus, some tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers on an open faced pita bread or half a whole wheat hamburger bun. Great taste, good carb/protein/fat ratio of about 40-30-30 and roughly 400 calories! Enjoy!
  • Jettatastic
    Options
    I put mushrooms, onions and some egg white in my turkey burgers. Moist and yummy every time!