Eating better foods = 'bunged up' - why?!

Ok,...this is frustrating. Not for the obvious reason, but more so because my fruit and vegetable intake is much higher, and so is my water consumption. We also have next to no processed foods on our menus. There are a couple of us in the house that have started to watch our calorie intake/eating healthier, and she is experiencing the same problem with constipation.

Has anyone else found this since changing their diet? Does anyone have insight why when the good foods are replacing old ones, it's making that 'end' more difficult?

Replies

• Trying eating more fibre and apples...? Sorry all I can suggest? :/
  • I'm having the same problem, I'm thinking it might be from too much fiber. I'm eating activia every morning with my breakfast to see if it might help.
  • too much fiber though can cause constipation.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Probiotics or citrucel ( its not a bulk forming lax like metamuscil so it won't make it worst) . I take a generic of citrucel I get from walmart and have no problem anymore. The problem with probiotic yogurts is you have to eat 3 a day to get any benefit. You can get it in pill form and not all the calories.
    Also Apples can constipate you. My Doctor always told me to give them to my kids when they had the diarrhea.
  • taqefu
    taqefu Posts: 13 Member
    It's going to be better in a couple of weeks. I switched from a relatively carb-high diet to high protein/high fiber and had the same problem for quite a while. Eventually my body got used to my new food choices and the problem disappeared completely. Just give your body some time to get used to it.

You might try flax seed in the meantime!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Snap, I have the same problem.

Have to resort to little brown pills occasionally but don't like to use them all the time as your body gets used to them and then doesn't work on its own.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I find that when I change how I eat, I usually have a few days while my intestines get used to it. Continue to eat well, drink water and things will work themselves out.....so to speak.
  • aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    I'm having the same problem!

Only thing I can think of is I'm eating LESS so there's less to come out. ;)
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 292 Member
    I only find that things change to a more 'conventional' situation, so therefore feels like you don't go as often because you are not getting rid of total waste - so it is more efficient if you know what I mean.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    I find mine comes from grains so I keep them on the low side and I have no problems at all.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    My doctor suggested adding ground flaxseed to "everything" :-) to keep things moving.

Bananas are binding, so avoid them for a while.

I also think it might be a case "less good food in, less waste to come out" unless you are truly uncomfortable.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • Probiotic pill. I take one each night before I got to bed. It works!
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Try probiotics...no issues since I started taking one per day.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Quickly increasing fiber intake can lead to constipation. I've read that increasing fiber more slowly is the solution to that problem. Also, as someone mentioned before, bananas can cause issues for some people (I know this from experience). If the change is sudden, your body may just be having issues coping with the change. I've also noticed if I'm eating less I go less or less often, which makes sense to me. I have found that two apples, first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach (not immediately followed by anything else), often helps ease constipation.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Make sure you're getting enough healthy fats in your diet, too.
  • try more dark greens, like Bok Choy, Baby Spinach, steamed drizzled with a little Extra Virgin olive oil and fresh lemon
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    How much water are you drinking? Fiber is only good for you if you have had adequate water. Fiber is essentially a bulk forming component of your food, so if you don't have enough water, it can create a blockage. Drinking more water will probably help you in both your digestive problems and your weight loss goals.

Anyway, if water and fiber aren't enough for you, try the probiotics. I had that problem a couple weeks ago, and after a few days of Activia, my problems started swinging the other direction and everything came out. (gross, but it needed to happen...)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    I love threads that have anything to do with poop. Thank you!

Here's some info I hope you find helpful...

FREQUENCY OF BOWEL MOVEMENTS

"Bowel habits vary widely among healthy people. Some healthy people may have three bowel movements per week, while others may have three per day."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/frequent-bowel-movements/my00786

CONSTIPATION OR INFREQUENT BOWEL MOVEMENTS

"What's considered normal frequency for bowel movements varies widely. In general, however, you're probably experiencing constipation if you pass fewer than three stools a week, and your stools are hard and dry.

Fortunately, most cases of constipation are temporary. Simple lifestyle changes, such as getting more exercise, drinking more fluids and eating a high-fiber diet, can go a long way toward alleviating constipation. Constipation may also be treated with over-the-counter laxatives.

Not having a bowel movement every day doesn't necessarily mean you're constipated. You likely have constipation, however, if you've had at least two of the following signs and symptoms for at least three of the past six months:

- Pass fewer than three stools a week
    - Experience hard stools
    - Strain excessively during bowel movements
    - Experience a sense of rectal blockage
    - Have a feeling of incomplete evacuation after having a bowel movement
    - Need to use manual maneuvers to have a bowel movement, such as finger evacuation or manipulation of your lower abdomen

To help prevent constipation:

- Eat a high-fiber diet. Choose lots of high-fiber foods, including fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole-grain cereals and breads. Aim to consume 20 to 35 grams of fiber daily. Experiment to see if particular fruits or vegetables have a laxative effect for you. Remember to add fiber to your diet gradually to help reduce related gas and bloating.
    - Limit low-fiber foods. Foods that are high in fat and sugar and those that tend to be low in fiber content, such as ice cream, cheese and processed foods, may cause or aggravate constipation.
    - Drink plenty of liquids. The exact amount of water and other fluids you should drink each day varies and depends on your age, sex, health, activity level and other factors. Limit caffeine intake, which can worsen symptoms of constipation by causing dehydration.
    - Exercise regularly. Engage in regular physical exercise, such as walking, biking or swimming, to help stimulate intestinal function. Getting at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week is recommended.
    - Heed nature's call. Don't ignore the urge to have a bowel movement. The longer you delay, the more water is absorbed from your stool and the harder it becomes.
    - Try fiber supplements. Over-the-counter products, such as Metamucil and Citrucel, can help keep stools soft and regular. Be sure to drink plenty of water or other fluids every day, as taking fiber supplements without drinking plenty of fluids may worsen constipation.
    - Be careful about introducing stimulant laxatives. Habitual use of agents such as Correctol and Dulcolax can make your colon dependent on them and may require increasing dosages, eventually leading to problems with your intestines. For occasional relief try a saline laxative, such as milk of magnesia, which draws water into the colon to lubricate the stool. Avoid giving children laxatives without a doctor's approval."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/constipation/DS00063
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Prunes.
  • I just posted a thread about how I'm having discomfort after switching to a healthy diet. I'm sorry your having troubles and I hate I am to. But it's nice to know it's just not me alone. I'm not having this particular issue though I'm having more of just discomfort and other nagging discomfort and can't figure out why so I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday.

Perhaps you could try eating 5 prunes at night so when you wake up in morning you might get some easier relief?