Has anyone been inspired or motived by certain books?

Options
***Motivated*****LOL and it won't let me fix it... oh well

For me reading is what sparked the fire. In the last year I have read maybe 10 self improvement books. I started reading them to increase my self confidence and to become aware of my inner soul.

I recently finished "The Secret" by Rhonda Bryne. Absolutely transformational. This book is all about the power of attraction. The main them is " Our thoughts become things" This means whatever you think you manifest. Good or bad. Such as if you even think the word debt, then debt will be you. Just one example. One way to reverse that and never think debt even if you are in debt is to say to yourself over and over, "money comes easily and frequently". I have the DVD to go with it. It shows all aspects of life. Relationships, health and so on. See yourself SKINNY. I mean feel it, Imagine it. Pretend it. Pretend you already are and act as if you are every day no matter what and you will be. Visualization is KEY and feeling it is a well. It's your imagination. Nobody else knows what you are thinking. I have watched the DVD 4 times and have had it for 2 months. My life is changing very quickly.

I am currently reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. Now this book is all about living for the moment. The past is the past and we can't change it and it's over. Never look back, don't go back, What good does that do? I am about halfway through this book and will need to read it again.

What books have inspired you?

Replies

• bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The Notebook
  • eagle_01
    Options
    Deepak Chopra's The Ultimate Happiness Prescription 5/5
    Deepak Chopra, Debbie Ford and Marianne Williamson's the Shadow Effect 3.8/5
    Abdul-Baha's Some Answered Questions 5/5
    The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey 4/5

The first one's nice and short and some of the things make you think...huh, why don't I remember this stuff in my day to day? The Happiness Prescription's based on working on seven keys and the first one's the awareness of the body, so I try to reread that chapter now and then.

Love all the others too, though I seem to have such a short memory, cause when I go back to them it's like I'm rediscovering them again. I do pull out the first one more often now, cause I'm trying to turn it all into 'habit' :)
  • dreamzvt
    Options
    Deepak Chopra's The Ultimate Happiness Prescription 5/5
    Deepak Chopra, Debbie Ford and Marianne Williamson's the Shadow Effect 3.8/5
    Abdul-Baha's Some Answered Questions 5/5
    The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey 4/5

The first one's nice and short and some of the things make you think...huh, why don't I remember this stuff in my day to day? The Happiness Prescription's based on working on seven keys and the first one's the awareness of the body, so I try to reread that chapter now and then.

Love all the others too, though I seem to have such a short memory, cause when I go back to them it's like I'm rediscovering them again. I do pull out the first one more often now, cause I'm trying to turn it all into 'habit' :)

Awesome, they all sound great! Thank you for sharing. I will check them out on Amazon!
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    1. The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It
    Author: Ph.D., Kelly McGonigal ....... EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT EXCELLENT read.

2. The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle

3. A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle
  • dreamzvt
    Options
    1. The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It
    Author: Ph.D., Kelly McGonigal ....... EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT EXCELLENT read.

2. The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle

3. A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle

Awesome, can't wait to check out the Willpower Instinct! I have the New Earth waiting for me :)
    Thank you so much!
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I've read The Tibetan Book of the Dead, and the way they view life and death is just awe-inspiring.
    Also, Marya Hornbacher's books, Madness and Wasted, are two phenomenal reads. Madness is about her battle with bipolar disorder and Wasted is about her eating disorders. I would definitely recommend them.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    For me - the two books that really changed the way I think about food are Michael Pollan's
    In Defense of Food and the Omnivore's Dilemma = both fantastic reads in my opinion.
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    Interesting thread, thanks for sharing
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    **** Intuitive Eating.****I have never truly been over weight but have always had issues with dieting and thinking I'm fat. I was bulimic in high school and have struggled with a healthy body image for many of my adult years too. This book is a great way to get to a point where you no longer worry about your weight and just enjoy exercising and eating healthy for the mere fact that it makes you feel better. No more yo-yo dieting for me!!!!!!! No more dieting period!!!!! I have learned how to slow down and stop when I am full. I deny myself nothing, but "choose" not to eat certain things because they don't make me feel good when I eat them. I eat what I feel is worth eating and I have found that I am choosing healthier foods over the richer fattening stuff. Life changing book for me.
  • dreamzvt
    Options
    **** Intuitive Eating.****I have never truly been over weight but have always had issues with dieting and thinking I'm fat. I was bulimic in high school and have struggled with a healthy body image for many of my adult years too. This book is a great way to get to a point where you no longer worry about your weight and just enjoy exercising and eating healthy for the mere fact that it makes you feel better. No more yo-yo dieting for me!!!!!!! No more dieting period!!!!! I have learned how to slow down and stop when I am full. I deny myself nothing, but "choose" not to eat certain things because they don't make me feel good when I eat them. I eat what I feel is worth eating and I have found that I am choosing healthier foods over the richer fattening stuff. Life changing book for me.

Thank you for sharing, I will add to my list :) Excellent points of view.
  • dreamzvt
    Options
    I've read The Tibetan Book of the Dead, and the way they view life and death is just awe-inspiring.
    Also, Marya Hornbacher's books, Madness and Wasted, are two phenomenal reads. Madness is about her battle with bipolar disorder and Wasted is about her eating disorders. I would definitely recommend them.

Thanks for sharing!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Save
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Working it out : a journey of love, loss, and hope / Abby Rike ; with a
    foreword by Shay Sorrells.
    abby rike

really great book
  • dreamzvt
    Options
    Working it out : a journey of love, loss, and hope / Abby Rike ; with a
    foreword by Shay Sorrells.
    abby rike

really great book

Thank you for sharing, I will check it out :)
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You on a diet.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The Spark
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The Jungle Effect, a great book on how to reduce chronic disease by eating like the communities that don't have a problem with disease: mediterranean for heart disease, native Mexican's and diabetes, Iceland for depression, west Africa for colon health. Really great book.
  • BooLives82
    BooLives82 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love reading... The Shack has been an amazing book about religion and God... I also love 21 days to Make a Healthy living a lifetime Habit..... Another amazing book is The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks....
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The Dance of Anger and The Dance of Intimacy by Harriet Lerner
    :noway: The Omnivore's Dillema by Michael Pollan
    :smile: Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transformation by Matthew Sanford
    How We Die by Sherwin B. Nuland
    A Year of Living Biblicaly by A.J. Jacobs
    The Audacity of Hope by Barak Obama
    :smile: Big Christianity by Jan G. Linn
    :laugh: Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg (fiction-hilarious and profound)
    Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Pattilla Beals
    Animal, Vegetable and Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
    The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk (fiction)
    A Woman's Journey to God by Joan Borysenko
    The Moon Under Her Feet by Klista Kinstler (fiction)

There are lots more, I'll have to think about this for a bit.
  • AScarbrough19
    AScarbrough19 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump!