starvation mode

Options
what do you think it is and why do you think that?

Replies

• JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    can.jpg
  • gazzajam
    gazzajam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels.
    During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.
    It's a scientific fact , that this is how your body reacts to loss of calorific intake.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Is this a serious question...... ?
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    can.jpg

LOL!!!! this is awesome.. However, on the starvation mode issue.. I do not think it is a black and white subject. I feel if you are obese that there is not a starvation mode. If you are within normal weight I can see where starvation mode will come into affect. I do not believe however that there is a magic number of calories to eat in a day (i.e. 1200) everyone is different and everyone needs to figure out what works for them!
  • biologic
    Options
    Starvation mode is a state in which the body is responding to prolonged periods of low caloric intake levels.
    During short periods of caloric abstinence, the human body will burn primarily body fat stores. After prolonged periods of starvation the body has depleted its body fat and begins to burn lean tissue and muscle as a fuel source.
    It's a scientific fact , that this is how your body reacts to loss of calorific intake.

and what type of decline in metabolic rate can you expect at "starvation mode's" peak? and how long does it take on average to hit this peak?
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options

yes this!!!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    can.jpg
  • biologic
    Options

serious question. i want all the people who are on these forums that throw around the term "starvation mode" to come in here and state what they believe it is and why they believe it.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    it's nature's way of protecting you from famine. If you barely eat, you biological systems recognize that there's not enough nutrition coming in, so it releases hormones that slow down your metabolism to keep you from starving to death until you have access to enough food. Your body does not know that there's plenty of food around you, it just figures if you're not eating it's because there's no food. It won't happen in a day or two, but if you are always eating less than it takes for your daily activities, your metabolism will slow down eventually.
  • biologic
    Options
    it's nature's way of protecting you from famine. If you barely eat, you biological systems recognize that there's not enough nutrition coming in, so it releases hormones that slow down your metabolism to keep you from starving to death until you have access to enough food. Your body does not know that there's plenty of food around you, it just figures if you're not eating it's because there's no food. It won't happen in a day or two, but if you are always eating less than it takes for your daily activities, your metabolism will slow down eventually.

and how much can your metabolism slow overall? and how long would it take on average for your metabolism to hit its low?
  • gazzajam
    gazzajam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    and what type of decline in metabolic rate can you expect at "starvation mode's" peak? and how long does it take on average to hit this peak?
    [/quote]

Beyond my scientific knowledge, but instinct tells me that it kicks in at different times and rates for everybody.
    I can assume this by the fact that 2 people can eat the same and one will not gain weight and the other puts weight on.
    One feels full, the other won't, one will be more energetic than the other, etc...etc
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options

That is exactly what my Doctor said. My door gf has severe celiac, among other issues. She get very sick when she eats anything. She id down to 80 pounds. It has been going on for months. It is severe and that is starvation Mode.
  • biologic
    Options
    i ask because the main study, the minnesota starvation experiment, cut the subjects' calories to near starvation levels for 4 months and found that metabolism slowed some, but not much, in order to try to prevent tissue loss. but metabolism didn't slow that much. instead of losing 3 lbs a week, a subject would instead lose around 2.5 lbs a week.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options

serious question. i want all the people who are on these forums that throw around the term "starvation mode" to come in here and state what they believe it is and why they believe it.

Yes!!!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    This question is caused so many arguments on the community boards,

banging_head_animated_avatar_100x100_99943.gif
  • biologic
    Options
    This question is caused so many arguments on the community boards,

banging_head_animated_avatar_100x100_99943.gif

i'm sorry, has this been brought up before? because if it has been brought up, there shouldn't be so much misunderstanding as to what are the implications of starvation mode and what causes it as there is in the forums.
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    what gets me is if you go under you cals once someone on here will pop up and say YOU'RE IN STARVATION MODE
    ¬_¬ jesus christ it doesn't happen that quickly
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    i ask because the main study, the minnesota starvation experiment, cut the subjects' calories to near starvation levels for 4 months and found that metabolism slowed some, but not much, in order to try to prevent tissue loss. but metabolism didn't slow that much. instead of losing 3 lbs a week, a subject would instead lose around 2.5 lbs a week.

Did that study also reveal any muscle loss, tissue loss, brain function change, organ damage? Did they even test to see if that was happening or was it strictly weight loss.
  • biologic
    Options
    what gets me is if you go under you cals once someone on here will pop up and say YOU'RE IN STARVATION MODE
    ¬_¬ jesus christ it doesn't happen that quickly

yes, it takes months of severely restricted calories to go into starvation mode unless you are a special case in which it might only take weeks.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    serious question. i want all the people who are on these forums that throw around the term "starvation mode" to come in here and state what they believe it is and why they believe it

biologic, this question was only posed so you could call people out? Really, this is covered thousands of times already on this site and many others.

After five years on this site, I have learned that you cannot reach everyone. It would be better if you just post helpfully and frequently, without trying to "fix" everyone to agree with you.

There are tens of thousands of people on this site. Many people come and go every day. Please try to be a positive force.
This discussion has been closed.