Shape-Ups

Hi! I recently purchased a pair of shape-ups for work. I work 12hr days and I heard they were really comfortable especially if you're walking and/or standing for long periods of time. I was wondering if anybody uses them to workout (running/walking) and how good are they?

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    They're comfortable for long hours on your feet, but that's just about it. They don't REALLY do anything to help lose weight or "shape" your legs or anything it SAYS it'll do. It's just comfortable. That's my experience and opinion anyway.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • I heard from my physical therapist that if you have any muscular and/or bone problems, you shouldn't use these. They change the way you walk and you gait. I haven't ever tried them, but my friends have-they say for work they are great for tired feet. But they haven't noticed the toning aspect and haven't lost and weight
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    They may very very slightly encourage some quad and calf activation, but resistance doesn't change so the "toning" effects are practically unnoticed.
    Biggest concern for many is how they change your gait and when you put on "regular" shoes again, the it could hurt your feet or knees.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    I heard that they are pretty okay walking shoes but my mom had them and she never saw any results.

Be careful though! I saw a commercial from one of the law firms because people were getting muscular and bone injuries from wearing the shoes and they could be entitled to a cash settlement. So if you get any discomfort or pain or anything like that, I suggest not wearing them anymore!
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    I have the "fit flops" and let me say... the first day I wore them they made my legs a tiny bit sore, but thats it. They are comfy bc they have a thick sole, but they don't work! I wore them for a long time and did not see results. They are great to walk in though for comfort purposes, nothing more really.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    I heard from my physical therapist that if you have any muscular and/or bone problems, you shouldn't use these. They change the way you walk and you gait. I haven't ever tried them, but my friends have-they say for work they are great for tired feet. But they haven't noticed the toning aspect and haven't lost and weight

Dr. Oz did a thing about them and had a foot dr on. He had a whole list of foot and knee problems those shoes can cause.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Those things KILLED my lower back. If they are fine for you, great, but I wouldn't ever work out in them.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    I purchased a pair years ago for their comfort. I have mild lordosis (curved spine), and walking for 20 minutes or more used to be very painful for me. From the moment I first wore my Shape-Ups, all that changed. The way they changed my gait was clearly the right way for me. I've never worn shoes more comfortable, and I did a 23-mile walk including mountain climbs and a waterfall climb last year with those as my shoes. I couldn't have done it without them.

I think they'll be extremely comfortable for some, but other people might find they change the way they work in a more awkward way. Personally, they're the only casual shoes I'll buy nowadays.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    I just threw my pair away after 3 years (I know you are supposed to replace shoes every 6 months but I waited until the seams fell apart on mine).

I got lots of questions at first a couple of years ago if I lost weight and I always said, "No, I eat too much." :laugh:

Anyway, I lost weight once I started eating healthy and exercising - by then shoes were 2 years old. I mostly wore them to work in as I stand on concrete floors all day - and they were super squishy and comfy and made my knee, hip, and lower back pain disappear.

I've just bought new pair of "regular" shoes and am anxious to see if the old pains return...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    If they are comfortable and don't cause problems wearing them to work and walking, fine. But there is no way I would recommend anyone run in them. Recipe for injury.

They really don't have any benefit. In fact, Reebok had to pay out $25 million for false claims on how effective they were.
    http://www.newsytype.com/12043-reebok-toning-shoes-lawsuit/