CYCLING

Options
I have never cycled before but am thinking of taking a class at my school rec center? Is it difficult? Rewarding? Any feedback!

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I just started cycling this week. 2.3 miles almost killed me on Monday. By Friday, I did 4.5 miles, could easily have managed five and think I could even have done ten. I didn't break a sweat and recovered instantly.

Plan to try for a bit more speed tomorrow evening! Really must have done me some good.
  • riders999
    Options
    add some hills into the route and that should definitely get you breaking a sweat, the great thing about proper cycling today is there are so many gps tracking apps that you can run on your mobile that give you a very good breakdown of what you have done in terms of speed, altitude, calories burnt etc,

not sure if its frowned up posting links but i always take endomondo with me on my phone when im out on the bike, its accurate enough for my needs and is kinda addictive looking at your progress too :)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Agreed - I'm an Endomondo user, too. Used to use it for my walks and it's come back out for the cycling. I keep all my stats on a blog post, and I can see how I change in terms of distance, average speed, mile speeds. Definitely useful.
  • badr0mance
    Options
    what if its in a class and i cant keep up?
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Like Spinning? ...it doesn't matter if you keep up, because it's YOUR class go at your own pace! Them ore you go and do it, the easier it will become!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    it's really fun! You can go at your own pace so don't worry! If you are really struggling you can ease off some of the tension, or if you are struggling on the hills you can sit. Let the instructor know it's your first class they will help you set up your bike and give you some tips. Have fun! :-)
  • neg9677
    neg9677 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cycling or spinning is one of the best workouts for you. It's non-impact so it's not too hard on your body. Make sure you're fitted properly on the bike to avoid injury. A bonus is that a 45 minute class burns between 450-600 calories. Cycling got me in the best shape of my life! I'm addicted! Have fun! :)