What would you do?

Options
Okay - so, no cheating - AT ALL...I quit eating my exercise calories about a month ago. I burn an average of 968 calories at the gym every morning...today including.

Tonight I am going to the Olive Garden. I can have the Seafood Portofino (mussels, scallops, shrimp and mushrooms with linguine in a garlic-butter wine sauce) - 800 calories. This will still leave me with available exercise calories. Now, traditionally on Saturday and Sunday I burn about 1,200 calories per day. But I cannot get my brain to accept that this is okay...what's happening?

What would you do?

Replies

• firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Okay - so, no cheating - AT ALL...I quit eating my exercise calories about a month ago. I burn an average of 968 calories at the gym every morning...today including.

Tonight I am going to the Olive Garden. I can have the Seafood Portofino (mussels, scallops, shrimp and mushrooms with linguine in a garlic-butter wine sauce) - 800 calories. This will still leave me with available exercise calories. Now, traditionally on Saturday and Sunday I burn about 1,200 calories per day. But I cannot get my brain to accept that this is okay...what's happening?

What would you do?
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how many calories you eat per day? You burn alot, how long do you work out?
    With all that you used up today I'd eat and not feel bad. But when I go out I usually cut my meal in half and eat the rest the next day. Or DH will eat it. The portions they serve are just to big for me.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    INDULGE it will be ok. I wish I had enough left to go to Olive Garden, or anywere for that matter.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Eat slow, your body might rebel and you'll feel sick. But other than that, go for it! It's good your brain is rebelling, because you've got it trained ok to not overeat. Now tell it - once in a while is ok!
  • firewalking
    Options
    Can I ask how many calories you eat per day? You burn alot, how long do you work out?
    With all that you used up today I'd eat and not feel bad. But when I go out I usually cut my meal in half and eat the rest the next day. Or DH will eat it. The portions they serve are just to big for me.

I am on 1200 calories per day. My average is 963 calories per my HRM. I run 9 miles every morning, lift weights and use an elipitical. Each morning is about 2 hours Monday through Friday and I'm at the gym from 7:00 to around 12:00 Saturday and Sundy (but this includes sauna/steam room/shower time). I rarely eat my exercise calories unless I see the shift in my weight (jogging up and down) - then I eat 1/3 of my exercise calories.

I'm probably going to have to cut it in half anyway...which would make it about 400, right? YUM YUM TOMORROW TOO?
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I would go for it. We all deserve a treat. I give myself a break once a week. Yesterday my other half and I went to a place called Oakfire Grill. All BBQ food for what we call date nite. A day earlier than our usual friday nite. Any way I enjoyed and today I enjoyed the rest for my lunch. With NO REGRETS cuz I know I'll burn it off in no time. I do like you, I don't use my exercise calories during the normal days. So this way I have lead way for date nites or other times when we might get together with friends and party. :drinker: So go tonight and have yourself the time of your life.:love: and eat,drink, and be merry!!! :devil: YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart::heart: :heart:
  • firewalking
    Options
    Eat slow, your body might rebel and you'll feel sick. But other than that, go for it! It's good your brain is rebelling, because you've got it trained ok to not overeat. Now tell it - once in a while is ok!

Great advice...thank you so much. You're right...I haven't eaten a huge meal for two months.....this means I will be able to eat tomorrow too! YEAH!
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Um... do you mean that you eat 1200 a day and burn 963? Because that's unbelievably dangerous. That leaves you with 237 calories for your body to somehow try to run itself on. :noway:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

What would you do?
    Seafood Portofino my fav ...havent had it in a long time but if I were you I would go in with a plan ...ask for a dogie bag split it in half before you start ...limit yourself to one breadstick and have a HUGE salad ...Good luck and enjoy!!! and yes I think its ok
  • firewalking
    Options
    Um... do you mean that you eat 1200 a day and burn 963? Because that's unbelievably dangerous. That leaves you with 237 calories for your body to somehow try to run itself on. :noway:

Well jeeze, I guess when you put it that way, I am being pretty stupid, aren't I? I don't think I've ever thought about it in those terms before. Yes, this is what I am doing.

I guess it's time for a change. Thank you....truly.
  • chinadolly
    Options

I totally agree, how are you going to lose weight, when your body keeps thinking your starving it?
  • firewalking
    Options
    I eat all the time...ALL the time....but it's mostly munching on veggies (tons and tons of veggies)....I am positive I am not going into starvation mode...my weight loss has been steady (in fact, I'm very close to my goal), and I feel better than I ever have in my life...I had a complete physical, a metabolic panel taken by my doctor (along with a lipid profile) and my blood came back perfect. I sleep very well, I never feel hungry, my skin, hair and nails are healthy. I'm feeling too good to be doing anything bad to myself.
  • happygirl518
    happygirl518 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Let me say first of all, you are doing super and are very dedicated with all the working out. One thing you need to remember is you have to eat to lose, and when exercising and burning that many calories you need to replace those calories. So drink your water, at Olive Garden eat slowly, and enjoy the food, atmosphere and those conversations at the table.
    Don't over indulge but enjoy your time there.
    Hope this helps, Debbie