new here & wondering if my calories are off

Options
I just started here in January. Mfp set my daily goal @ 1,200. I work full time and some days sit all day some days I am out moving around. 2 nights a week I teach preschool gymnastics for about an hour and a half.

I have, for the most part stayed just under the calorie goal. Gone over a few times but not more than 100. I take Sundays off but still log..

I have gone from drinking no water to drinking 6 or so glasses a day. I have had one soda since Jan 2. I have started exercising. 15 min on elliptical everyday. I know it isn't much but more than I was doing.

I have lost 2.5lbs in the 2 weeks. But I am always hungry.

Do you think my allowance is too low or am I just still adjusting to lower intake & exercise. I did once lose 17lbs on a 1500 calorie a day diet but that was several years ago now.

Oh, I am 45 years old. 5ft 3in and currently 140lbs.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    How much are you set to lose per week?
    At 140 lbs you should be on 0.5 lbs per week as you don't have much to lose, this should give you more calories.
    Also if you exercise you 'earn' extra calories so you can eat more :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right.

I'de give it another few weeks and then re-assess. Your stomach will take a bit of time to adjust to that level of calories, but that will pass. Drink water, chew on a celery stick if you get hungry.
  • Rogue9613
    Options
    The calorie count sounds about right, especially if you adjust it according to how many calories you burn on exercise. The best advice I can give is to eat more lean protein and fiber, both are pretty low calorie and help you feel full longer. High carb foods (especially sugars) are much less sustaining and cause cravings, so you'll probably feel hungry again within an hour.
    I've had much better results since cutting out excess sugar and carbs from breads/grains.
    I hope this helps you.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Mine gives me 1290 calories a day. It took a few days to adjust to that because I estimate I was eating 3000 calories before...the bulk of it in chocolate. Give yourself a bit longer to adjust. When you are hungry, eat veggies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    At 140 lbs you should be on 0.5 lbs per week as you don't have much to lose, this should give you more calories.

This^

You cannot set your goals here to "Lose 2 pounds a week" when you are that close to your goal weight. Assuming you chose a number in the middle of your BMI weight range, your body thinks you are just fine right where you are.

You need much more than 1200 calories now.

Set your activity level realistically and set your goal to "Lose 1/2 pound per week." Eat the calories given AND eat the exercise calories. You can't afford not to at your current weight.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options

I think I had originally set a pound a week. I am looking to lose about 20.

I will keep going a couple more weeks. I feel better & am eating healthier. Except today! !
  • em9371
    Options
    Setting your goal loss too high is not healthy, you will end up burning muscle which will make it harder to lose and easier to gain in the long term.
    Have a look through the forums, a lot of people had trouble losing on only 1200, and have had good losses by slightly increasing calories.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Setting your goal loss too high is not healthy, you will end up burning muscle which will make it harder to lose and easier to gain in the long term.
    Have a look through the forums, a lot of people had trouble losing on only 1200, and have had good losses by slightly increasing calories.

Thanks. You think 1lb a week is too much? I should adjust to 1/2?
  • em9371
    Options
    I would, to lose 20lbs, it's only another 10 weeks, it's not the end of the world, will be worth it when it's easier to maintain rather than risk screwing your metabolism up by having too high a deficit!