New here and calories shown r wrong here

Options
I have noticed one thing on here when adding meals and cal count. The item on the real label shows serving size and cals per serving. When using this site and doing the same thing for the same brand and serving size this site shows a higher cal count. So that really throws off my cals per serving and total per day. Other than that...this site seems ok, but could use improvement.

Replies

• Jon_Fryett
    Options
    I have noticed one thing on here when adding meals and cal count. The item on the real label shows serving size and cals per serving. When using this site and doing the same thing for the same brand and serving size this site shows a higher cal count. So that really throws off my cals per serving and total per day. Other than that...this site seems ok, but could use improvement.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Calories are input mostly by users. Since product information can vary from location to location sometimes there are mulitple options to choose from before you can get the correct calorie count.

Other choice enter the items correctly yourself. or edit the already entered information.
  • fatguynlilcoat
    Options

Yeah, some foods are entered wrong. I usually just enter it again with what I know is correct, mostly because I'm anal retentive, lol.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,116 Member
    Options
    On a lot of items that are common, Mike, the site admin, has entered the correct stats. You wil see them as items without the asterisk in front on the food database.

Or - if you enter it yorself Or - if you edit it, it will show as having no asterisk in front of it - for you only. (The other person's entry won't show it that way to THEM, because some people enter things that make sense to them, that may not be the way you use that item.)

Then you will be able to pick out the ones you entered.

No asterisk

apple - raw
    *apple, granny smith

or asterisk?
  • Jon_Fryett
    Options
    THX for the info....glad to know these things.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,116 Member
    Options
    You can always go to
    "My Foods" to find the foods you entered, too. But you can't enter them into your "Food Diary" directly from "My Foods", but you can Copy the name of it and then go back to the food diary, click "Add food", then Paste the name into the "Search" field. Then "your" food will pop into the diary.

I have to do that alot. Feel free to message me if you need any help.